Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
***Quesion about Codeine****

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

***Quesion about Codeine****

Not my question, but rather for someone else, since I dont' know much about codeine.  My friend went from morphine for many years to percocet than vicodin  (same thing?)  anyway, I gave him some advice on tapering and he did extremely well with the help of seroquel.  he was down to taking 6 5mg vicodin, a day, which I am familiar with, then I suggested to him to ask his doctor to put him on codeine #3  he was having a diffiucult time with it, but has been on it for about six weeks now, says taking 8-10 per day.  do you think he can c/t off the codeine now with minimal withdrawal or should he taper more.  I know they are much weaker than vic's and he has stabilized on them for over a month.  Withdrawal is very hard for him......i think its he just popping of the pills or the mental part that is so hard for him.  Anyone experience codeine withdrwal compared to vic's or perc's.....now he has been on opiates for 12 or more years.......but has dramatically cut as you can see,  So, any codeine avice would be great.  you dont see too many codeine addicts out here.......anyway, I am getting long winded.......thanks.

nauty...............
Nauty,
I personally never took codeine other than after a dental visit, but know a few that have and yes, they are considerably less strong compared to percs or vic's. I am not sure about the ct seeing he or she is on 8-10, but a fast taper would probably be good in my opinion. Best to your friend.
yeah, I guess I just see it as tapering from 30mg morphine time release to Vi'cs or perc's to ty 3  is a pretty good taper in itself,but i could be wrong.  Thanks.
I took Ty 3's when I couldn't  get vics...they didnt' give me a buzz anymore...unless i took 3, but they kept the wds at bay!! He will need to taper them.
I am sure he will go through withdrawal as I have used codeine as well to keep wds at bay. The wds were not as emotional a thing to wd from as the latter but the physical was not good either sweats rls I don't believe it would be as long but would get severe for a time as well. He should taper more if it is an option. That is what I suggest.
The historical use is more of a problem than the codeine - the codeine is one of the easiest narc's to w/d from and one of the harder to acquire a strong habit for - this is compared to oxy's, heroin, methadone and the whole list......its still no fun....but it is one of the easier to quit - taper as far as possible as circumstances permit...then treat it just as any other w/d (Thomas Recipe, Amino Acid Protocol) and it can be resolved.
Thanks.....he says that he will try to taper more, and thanks me for all of my wisdom...lol.  I told him I would give credit where credit is deserved........Thanks Everyone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Luv,
Nauty.................
Don't forget there is a Tylenol #1 to which he could switch to during the taper.

And you have yet to say how your date went????
Good Point.  Thanks.  he did do the suboxone route and that didn't work for him.  he seems to be doing better this way..........so far.
LMAO.....you totally are avoiding the date question!!!!!!
I was informed that her 'date' is tonight. So we will all have to anxiously wait up to see if she makes her curfew or not. :)
LOL...yep, I was informed of the same. Thanks....hehehehehe
I am going to awaiting the "NAUTY" DETAILS!!!!!!