Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Questions about coming off opiates.

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Questions about coming off opiates.

Hi all,

I've just posted once, but have been lurking for a year and a half. You're all so kind and generous, I feel like I know some of you. This site has helped me more than you could ever know.

I was on a hefty does of Morhpine (900 mg per day) for chronic pain. I weaned myself down pretty fast, and then for 5 days, I used 5 mg. of Mehtadone, then CT. At present I am taking a couple (2)Ultram per day. I hardly went through any WD at all, except for one week of depression. I feel great now. My question is, can I take the Ultram for a week or two, or will it cause me some problems. I've heard many horror stories about Ultram, and don't want to go there. I have no cravings whatsoever, and I'm so greatful for that. Thanks for any comments or advice.

Burn
Tags: Addiction
ultram, wolf in sheeps clothing!

i think you are very lucky to be doing so well after taking such a hefty dose of morphine everyday! that is awesome... don't blow it by staying on ultram for too long... two weeks and i was pretty ill for three days... that is my experience with ultram in a nutshell!

amber
I have been reading this board for about an hour now and felt I could post here. I am so desperately trying to get off vic/perc's. It's been a little under a year since I started. I started due to a back injury from a car accident. Anyway, to make a long story short I so desperately want to get off these things...I have tried cold turkey but it is just so hard to do, so I am going to try cutting back. I can't continue to live like this...I just can't. I really would love to have a board I can post at and feel I am amongst friends. I have 2 children, and one is only 2 years old, so it is very hard to quit...I have to be on top of my game all the time. . I really want and need help. I take about 4-6 vic/percs a day, if I have that many.  Today I took perc/10 and 1/2 of a Lorcet/10 which is really good condsidering I am usually up to 3 perc/10's by now.  I definately want to wean off, can anyone recommend a good way to do it so I can start and get what I need.  I know that I will still have discomfort but I tried CT and it just DOES NOT work for me. I really need help....Please
Thanks doc, and Amber.

I was surprised myself that I could get off that high dose of Morphine myself, and with little to no WD.

I am terrified of the Ultram, that's why I'm only using 2 per day. It doens't work nearly as well as the morphine for pain, but helps a little. I think I'll only stay on 2 pills for this week, and then stop taking them.

I appreciate your thoughts, ideas, and answering my questions.

Burn
I can so relate to how much you want to get off drugs. I hated taking them even though they were warrented. I felt like I had lost my soul, and all spiritual connection. Life was gray.

I weaned myself off of a much higher dose than you. You're lucky that you're only on 6 to 8 pills per day. I think you can taper successfully at home, just do it very slowly, and don't make any big jumps. For instance stay on 5 per day until you stabellize at that dose. Once stabelized cut one more pill out. The lower the dose the slower the taper should go. Good luck to you.

Burn
I can't reccomend a good taper schedule but there are many on this board that can so I am going to leave that for the poeple who are good at it.  In my personal experience I have had the same level of usage as you and I would cut doses in half, stay at that level for a week, then cut again.   Remember the lower the slower is the rule of thumb.  If you are patient you can do it.  Once you get down to the one or two a day it gets harder.  I have been at the two a day mark for some time now and need to make the next step.  Good luck be strong and determined and most importantly take your time.  My doctor once said to me "Why are you in such a hurry with you taper schedule?"  I said "I am sick and tired of being sick and tired"  he said "well if you go to fast you will be really sick and tired."  We have been working together for a soloution.  Maybe you could talk to your doc?  Anyway I want to wish you the very best!  Pamela
Sounds like your doing pretty good with tapering. With children, CT is not possible (unledd you have a relative/good friend) take your child overnight on day 2. Regardless that would be tough. I suggest you keep tapering- go down 1/2 a percocet/day. The slower, the better....depemding on your financial situation and ability to get enough pills to taper slowly. Is your partner supportive?...If so, you could get him to hold the pills and dole them out every morning. I found that if I had them around, it was to tempting and I would mess up my taoering schedule. Your habit doesn't sound too bad but of course if you continue- your tolerance will rise and before you know it, your habit will have doubled. Tolerance to Percocets in particular (at least in my case) seems to rise very fast. Now would be the right time to start tapering agressively. By agressively, I mean with a strong will and determination.
Come to this board and keep posting your progress (or regression). Much support is available if you want it.
Take care , Robyn.
Thank you all so much.  Yes, my husband is very supportive.  The thing with him is, and this is going to sound impossible, but it is true.  We both were doing herion, not for long, but long enough to really MESS ME UP.  I had HORRIFYING withdrawls, he, had NONE!!!  Nothing at all.  Same with percs...the most that happens to him is he feels drained, but b/c I always take care of the kids, he is able to take naps and feel better.  I still to this day cannont figure out how the hell he didn't have any withdraws from the herion.  He lives by the saying "mind over matter"...which leads me to believe it's true.  I will be honest, I think I will have to have him ration them out b/c I am very weak.  If I don't keep myself busy...I will take them.  I only have 1/2 a pill left for tomorrow, but I can get more, I just have to figure out a taper schedule.  I live in Pa. and the doc's here will cut you off after a certain amount of time...that is what happened to me.  So I just get them from friends.  I will beat it this time.  I am very strong willed.  I remember before when I would run out...I would get so sad and depressed that i didn't have a pill to take and scared about "what am I going to do without a pill to get me out of bed".  My w/d is purely physical this time.  I want off so bad that I am not sad about not having a pill, just in a lot of pain.  I think I will be able to taper off, and hopefully a month from now I will be free of these damn pills!!!!

I don't have anyone that can take the kids b/c only a few people know about my struggle.  I am just too ashamed to talk to anyone, and one of my closest friends is a substance abuse councelor, but I am just too ashamed to talk to her.  That is why I came looking on the web...to be able to talk to people who truely understand....and won't judge.

Thank you all so much!!

Anyone want to email me ***@****.  You can IM me too, sometimes I need a quick reply.
I live in PA too!  Pamela
Where in Pa. do you live, if you don't mind me asking.  Then you know how the dr.s are here, I really think right now the only thing they care about it their rising costs of malpractice insurance, and the fear of being sued.
horsham pa.

hippy, peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Philadelphia here...
i grew up in phila.
try  the thomas's receipe here at the fourm . it works wonder for withdrawls,
l-tyrosine 500mg 8 cap a day week 1 , 4 a day weeks after.
b-6 100 mg 2 a day
a strong multi.
vita a-c- and e
calsium magnisum
copper zinc
imodium (immodium) for the runs week 1
gatoraide  and bannas for restless leg pains
and lot s of hot baths at nights for leg and body pain week

to me  the 1st 3 things
and last 3 are the most important

peace !!!!!!!!!!!!!!hippy
I live outside of Erie, PA which is two hours north of Pittsburgh.  Yes the doctors in PA can be a bit tight with the pen.  I work for a medical school so I am surrounded by them all day and future ones.  I was going to say Hipee is from PA too, but I see he posted to you.  Pamela
this is the quaker state, better known as the purtian state,
my mother is a, quaker her famly cme to america with william penn.the middletons.

i still have a script for bup i never got filled.
i was never a doctor shopper.
when my regular doctor said no more for you,
i went to the streets.
and i work in a labor union and where there is unions there is the mob. end of story.
at least im clean and don't have to drive 60 miles round trip to south philly to buy drugs.
its nice to be clean.
the sunshine is shinier
the freash air is freasher
and  life is good,
as long as i stay out of my own way.

peace!~hippy
Hi, Trying2Stop, I can really relate to you. I also am trying to stop the painkillers, have two kids, am a stayathome mom. Sounds like you don't work either (outside the home, obviously raising two kids is a heck of a lot of work)? I have been taking pills for two years and am just now trying to get help. I went to a psychiatrist who was a real jerk, have an appointment to see a new counselor next tuesday, and am considering methadone or buprenex in addition. I so know what you mean about how difficult it is to quit when you have kids. If we could just have a few days to ourselves w/o the kids, it would make such a difference. As if you don't feel bad enough when you're going through CT, you have to attend to their needs and try to maintian a positive attitude and not let on that's you're just dying inside. Sigh. Do whatever you can to try to start cutting down a little now, I was at your dosage about a year ago, now I'm up to 20+Norco a day. yuck. I just wanted to let you know there's plenty of people out there who can relate. I don't know about you, but I always get stuck in that trap of wanting to get off the pills so I can be a better mother, but then when I'm off the pills, I can barely function, so then you tell yourself you need at least a few pills to take care of the kids. The people on this board are very supportive. It can be really tough trying to navigate the healthcare system, though, and get the help you need, I guess we gotta just keep trying.
Hi everyone, I am new here. I cant believe I found this place. Just what I need. I hve been going ct for almost 48 hours. The only person who knows about it is my husband. I have missed 2 days at work. I work for a pharmacy and I know all I have to do is give myself refills and I would be happy again. Last week everything was fine and then my world came crashing down when my sister found out that someone (me) had used her refill on her hydro. Her dr wont give her more until she files a police report and I feel so guilty. Im scared Im going to get caught. I promised GOd that if I get out of this I would stop and I have. I feel like s---. Thanks for giving me somewhere to go to know there are others like me out there.
kpate50- addiction makes us do things we would never otherwise do. When I think of all the lies I've told to get my pills, it makes me sick. You're not alone at all. Are you taking anything for the CT? it seems to me that sometimes the amodium ad helps with more than just the diahrea, when I took it it seemed to help with the cold sweats/chills etc but that was probably all in my head. In a way you're lucky if this does make you quit, although I'm sure you're terribly embaressed. Sometimes I wish someone would just force me to quit, although obviously I'm not going to quit until I make myself quit, I understand that it's up to me. Although I wouldn't wish this addiction and accompanying withdrawls on anyone, isn't it helpful to know other people are in this situation, too? If you're beating yourself up about what you did to get your pills, although obviously you shouldn't have done it, if it makes you feel any better, there's people who mug old ladies to get their drug money etc etc whatever any of us have done there's people out there who have done worse, and you're not alone. Try and work on recovering from your addiction and tell yourself you'll worry about making it up to your sister later. I don't know if this is coming out right, I'm just trying to say I've done a lot of things I'm ashamed of and lied through my teeth to get my pills, you're not alone, so don't feel bad. By the way, is anyone here in the Northern California area? I'd be curious if anyone could point me to any good treatment facilities or counselors in my area.
hey there, try to cut down  to 8  a day
aqnthing more is very bad for the liver.
and yes there are a few people here at the fourm from n cal.
hopefully they will post.
impdium  has an opaite of some sort in it, not one to get ya high
or anything.

try some L-tyrosine 8 caps 500mg for a week
along with b-6 100 mg 2 caps this will faze out a lot of the withdrawl (withdrawal), pains , lack of energy, and depression.
you will feel like you had 5 cups of coffee, it is a little uncomfotable but is a lot easier the srtaight up ct
peace !!!!!!!!!!HIPPY
I hear ya hippee.  I am so tired of making phone calls to find pills.  Then when I swear that when I get them I will make them last...then they only last a day or two if I am lucky.  My problem is I don't keep myself busy...I take pills sit and wait for the effect...then take another and another to keep the effect going...then by the end of the day...I didn't do a damn thing.  Well today was different, and I am so proud of myself.  I took 1/2 perc/10 got right up from bed and started doing my "list of chores".  then I took 1/2 of a lorcet/10(I think it is a 10 it was blue.  I kept myself busy all day and I only took another 1/2 of the lorcet.  That is good considering I would take up to 6 by 4:00.  I really believe I am on my way.
I know exactly how you feel!  My world came crashing down approx 2 weeks ago due to my addiction!  My husband caught me in a whopper of a lie about refilling my hydrocodone and I was never so scared and ashamed in my life!  I thought I had lost the man I adore and love more than life itself! (I'm sure some of my cries for help are still on the forum if you look down far enough).  My husband was devestated (a physician) and could not believe that I was capable of what I had done--While taking those @#@#ing pills I did things I thought I would never do in a million years!--Lie to the people I love and care about the most/actually steal pills from friend's medicine cabinets (I still can't believe I did that one--BUT I DID!)  Soooo when my dirty little secret came out a decision had to be made--My wonderful life back or those demon pills!--I am on day 9 of post hydro-hell and things couldn't be better! I promise you if you are serious about getting off of the pills things will work out!
I'm not saying it's easy but if you have made it 48 hrs you're almost there!--Please read the thomas recipe it really does help and read and post often--THAT kept me from losing my mind!  You are in my prayers because I DO KNOW the Hell on earth that you are going through--BUT you can come out the other side! And it looks pretty damn great!  Take care N.O. Lady AKA Mystere
First time poster, I've been reading for about a month.  Here's my story, any help you all can give will be helpful.

I'm 22/m and have a 3 year old son.  I'm divorced and about 1 year away from obtaining my B.S. degree in mechanical engineering.  When I was 20 I got hooked on Nubain, first IM and then moved to shooting it IV.  Then oxycontin rolls around and I become fully addicted to it for about 6 months.  I ODed and was in a coma for about 30 hours and came out with no damage whatsoever (to everyone's amazement).  I continued using for a month, until the semester of college ended, then went to rehab.  I stayed clean for a while, got divorced, and then started taking Lortab about 6 months ago.  Things got stressful at school this spring (14 credit hours) and I moved up to oxycontin.  I crush and snort it, because I will never use another neddle ever.  Not that it's any different once it's in your system, but it's just a promise I made myself.  I have tapered down to snorting about 30 mg per day...about 10mg in the morning, 10 in the evening, and 10mg a few hours before bedtime.  I will probably move to about 5 mg in the afternoon and maybe 10mg a night.  All of you seem to know that once you taper down to that much, it's easy, but after that the slightest decrease feels about like cold turkey.  I work 32 hours a week a have class everynight, and have custody of my son bi-weekly.  Hydro and Oxycodone make me feel like superman, so I tend to make straight A's when I'm taking them.  I also have a bit of social anxiety and opiates cure that 100%!  Of coarse, when the addiction sets in good, my grades drop, and I get very anxious around people, especially when I try to quit...nothing gets done.  So, now that you all know me as good as I feel I know you all, here's my questions:
What are good OTC drugs to take for the withdrawals?  Are there any good foods, drinks, etc to help easy the symptoms and speed up the detoxification?  Any herbal medicines, OTC drugs, anything...I'll try it.  Just post what works best for you.  Also, I might just try cold turkey during a week when I don't have custody, and this semester will be over at 6:30 PM tonight when I take my last final exam.  I'm going to Cancun May 9th so I think that would be the perfect beginning to sobriety again.  Thank you all for your help.  I hope this post works (first time poster here) and I hope there is enough room for more resposes...I wish I could have posted a new question, but it said the site was full.  I look forward to getting to know all of you better, this site is truely great!
Stephen
P.S. I am a co-op student with the army missile command, I have a security clearance and have to sign a medical release among other things every five years for renewal.  I would much rather fo this on my own, without doctors.  I have access to phenergan and xanax, though.  I never have any problem becoming addicted to any drugs or alcohol besides opiates.
Hello everyone

I just wanted to post and say hello.  I got to day 9 in February.  Today I am back at day nine.  My tolerance before I quit last week was 6 of anything 4 sometimes five times a day.

Vicodan Percodan Lorrys you name it I took it.  

I made it through Easter and refused to by any thing else since.

I was very lucky and a friend gave me 12 methadone to taper with.  I have had next to no withdrawel symptoms and with Thomas's recipe I have even been sleeping.  I used 4 the first day none the second 3 the third  2 the forth 2 the fifth none the 6th one the 7th. My Doctor gave me a new antidepressant Lexapro seems to be helping also.  

I hope I can do it this time.  I woke up the day before Easter and my Kidneys both hurt very badly.  I dreamed I died the night before and my children had to find me but i couldnt talk to them any more.  

I have two little ones and it is very difficult for me to manage with out my pain medications but I have to try and make it this time'. My older children are extremely lazy because they were used to super mom that worked full time and took care of everything including the youngest who was 2 when i got hurt.

i have had one surgery on my neck and my lower back the have been trying to fix for over a year now.  I cant function with the pain but the pain pills are going to kill me if i dont stay off of them.  

They are way too easy for me to get.  I get some from my doctor and if i need more I was a bartender for 15 years I can get any drug i want delivered to my front door with one phone call unfortunately for me.  

I have not even answered my phone the last couple days because that is how i blew it the last time after nine days.

thomas recipe and a good vitamin is the best!!!!

the people here are very understanding and helpful even to those of us that have tried several times and failed miserably

Good luck and God Bless to every one we all have our demons to conquer.  I hope that this time I will win and my children will have their mommy back again.

I do know exactly what you mean when you say you need your pill to get out of bed.  You just have to find other motiovation.

Music is a great motivator.........or smoke a big fat one!!!

Many thanks

cleo101

Missile Command snorting Oxy????? OK I feel safer. I have no experience with recreational drug use but withdrawl (withdrawal) is withdrawl (withdrawal) right. I went CT off IV morph it was pretty rough I take a **** load of vitamins and drank a lot of water I also drank a lot of green tea but think it just made my pee green I am not a big believer in herbs and bullshit but a lot here like the taper then stop method and something called the Thomas recipe its posted all over here. The Tyrosine made me to jittery and I don
Thanks, I'll try to find that Thomas recepit.  Insomnia is really difficult for me because I have to get up at 6:00 AM to take my son to daycare, go to work, then go to school until 10 PM at night some nights.  I also have really bad nightmares that start around day two or three...really weird ones.  Sometimes they are lucid dreams(?) where I am actually awake but dreaming.  It can be really scarey.  

I think I'm just going to take what I got left...half an 80mg OC, two lortab 7.5 mg, slowly (one per day) then go cold turkey.  It's going to be rough, but I can do it.  I'll be checking in here often for support.  Thanks again.
Does everyone else crave sweets when you go through withdrawl (withdrawal)? When I'm without my pills, I have no appetite, which I understand is normal, but the only foods I can get down are sweets, like popscicles (the Dryers whole fruit popscicles are especially good). As far as L-tyrosine, does that make you jittery? When I've gone C/T before, I took someone's advice to take an OTC diet pill for energy; big mistake. My nerves feel really fried as it is, and although it did give me the energy to get out the door and run my errand, I felt so tense it was awful. So is the l-tyrosine similar? Does everyone else have this C/T problem: on one hand you're so lethargic and exhausted you can barely move, yet you're simeltaneously jittery and tense? I can never decide if I need something like xanax to calm me down, or if I need something like caffeine to perk me up. I highly recommend the amodium ad, also remember to drink water, for some reason I never remember to drink water when I'm CT and I end up on top of everything else feeling dehydrated. I always also take an antihistime and use eyedrops.  And although it probably seems impossible, if you can manage a walk at least around the block or something, it seems to help you sleep better at night, although admittadly it feels terrible at the time. If you can rent some videos, (and one for the kids to keep them busy) it does help to pass the time. If you can get some xanax to take at night, it will help you sleep. Also soma muscle relaxants (prescription) do help with the muscle aches. If you know ahead of time you'll be going CT, stock up on talcum powder and wet wipes.Although it's really gross, I absolutely cannot bear to take a shower when I'm CT, but you'll want to clean up a little if you sweat a lot when you're CT (like me!). Yucky, huh? Gee, with all this great advice, you would think I would have a handle on my problem!! By the way, can anyone with experience in using clonidine tell me how much it helped? And if you take it, do you have to go in to the doctors to get your blood pressure checked or anything? Any info on how effective clonidine is in helping w/withdrawl symptoms would be greatly appreciated. Exactly what symptoms does it help with? Once again, I'm so happy I found this board, the support is wonderful and having a place to discuss my problem without being judged has really helped me to reach out and ask for help. Although working my way through the maze of health care (insurance, counselors, clinics, etc)is taking longer than I thought and is more frustrating than I thought. Yikes. Also found out today the ONLY substance abuse treatment my health insurance will cover is counseling, or psychiatric help. No inpatient, no methadone, nothing. I'm so frustrated. By the way, does anyone here attend NA or anything like that? Does it help? Also, I'm sure everyone would be extremely hesitant to do this, I'd like to throw this out: until I can get into my counselor on Tuesday, would anyone be willing to come up with a tapering schedule for me? When my husband and I make up a schedule for me, since we did it we have no problem "bending" the rules. A big part of the appeal of a methadone clinic to me was having someone else set the rules and tell me what to be doing. I feel like if someone else suggests a tapering schedule to me, I will be more likely to stick with it. Right now I take 4-6 when I first get up (5:30am), then 10-12 around noon, and sometimes 4-5 in the late afternoon. I know, I know it's terrible and I'm probably killing my liver. Any advice, anyone, on dosing (when and how much?)Keep posting, everyone, so we can all support each other. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you. When you are at the end of your rope and can't take it anymore, remember there's other people out there thinking of you and wishing you well. My posts are probably too long (and too frequent) but it really helps, doesn't it?
I would like to try suboxone to get off of methadone. 40MGS. A DAY.FOR 2 YRS.) Problem: I live in small town.
                          I don't have family support
                          My Dr. can't prescribe suboxone.
                          I can't go out of town.(because of a
                             controling husband.)
Now, I am terribly addicted to methadone. I have ended up in the emergency room several times because of withdrawl (withdrawal). But only I knew it was withdrwl.I think the second or third time, I told my Dr. it was the Methadone killing me, and she disagreed. That scared me- cause I was soooo sick-and she was treating me for the flu. I needed help so bad. Thanks to this sight, I have learned a lot. I already knew what withdrawl (withdrawal) symtoms (symptoms) were.Can I order Suboxone from a Dr. on line?? Please- someone help me. I take the methadone for fibromyalgia. And believe me , the few Drs. we have here(So.Dak.), do not know anything ABOUT THE DRUGS THEY PRESCRIBE. I will not have any support from my family- so you guys are "MY GOD SEND!!!"
        PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME! I AM SO SICK OF THIS. I HAVEN'T ANY CONTROL. THANKS-BOOMER
Day 6 is over! Man, they are taking me thru the ringer at work-if one more thing goes wrong I am going to scream. Glad to know that they can't "see" the change or else they would not be in my office. :>) Hope everyone is doin fine! Did have a strong cravin today when things start goin to ****. I am still a little too tired to deal with the b/s. BUT- I will!

It is Rick's pool night, first one tab free, so I think I will go support him out there, he's worried about his "game" he is shootin just fine here, I keep tellin him he will probably shoot better.  Thanks again EVERYONE!!!!! Keep tryin!
To be honest here, as opposed to the usual sluff/ruff/BS that I throw out, it rubs me wrong when someone doesn't understand recreational usage.

It's ok to not understand something, but to comment on it, on an addiction board like this, sure as heck doesnt help. Doesn't help me.

That, and comments about how much someone uses, or doesnt use.. Comments on consumption levels are moot. I made a smart ass comment here about someone's use of Nyquil, and later regretted it. That is the vein of frustration to which I refer.

I am craving Recreational narcotics so bad 2-nite that I can taste/smell.. but NOT (damnit) feel them. And, I am 2 weeks off the Junk.

Anyhooo.. as for what helps (me) with W/drawing:
*anything one can stomach eating
*the Thomas recipe (type it in a search engine; you will get a few thou hits- tis on every addiction board I have frequented.) ESPECIALLY Imodium (immodium) and hot baths/soaks
* a heating pad
* ability to cut A/C on cold, colder, coldest
* sex
* any (outdoor) exercise/activity-FORCE yrself.. at least one thing every day, even on Days 1,2,3,4- most especially when u want to feel sry for yrself
*liquids, drink plenty

Another thing that is starting to grate on my nerves is.. complaints about sleep. Loss of sleep never killed anyone. Think about yr muthas, g'muthas.. etc.. Old peeps esp simply sleep less. (BTW, I don't sleep for sht, but aint smart either)

Smart people need less sleep (Smart babies sleep less than those of average IQs). So suck it in, and don't belly-ache about sleep. Instead of tossing (I hear that in the UK, "tossing" is a synonym for something that can make one go Blind.) Ooops.. can't let my humoUr out, I am GPOd (generally pissed off) here.

So instead of bemoaning the No Sleep, come clean my place and do chores for me.

:)

Another thing that bugs me is advising peeps to avoid one drug (say Xanax), when trying to come off another drug, the drug of choice. What's good for the goose, prolly aint best for the gander.

Well, as far as this board goes, I know I am a dang Newbie and have put myself on the alter for slaughter, but I made a conscious choice to bellyache and ***** 2-nite rather than use. (by not cashing a script for 18 VikeEs which I have had since 4/21)

I can't tear it up that script. IDK why. Nor can I flush it. I can't remember how many times I have conjured images of the movie "Trainspotting." I watched that movie before I realized what a lush I was. If you have never rented it, please do.

As asides: Dancin'.. I will mail the book end/week. (I want to photocopy one page prior to pg 40.. I forget which, and the 2nd 'graph on pg. 40)Thomas.. thx. for opening up. (I hate that you too struggle, but am glad there is hope in your struggles for me and others.)

Hope I haven't pissed off the general public too much.

I feel calmer. Sorry to rant.

rwc~
steve, email me at ***@**** if you would like, i am not going to take up alot of room tonight! lol!!

and my new friend "tommyluvs247" i got booted off and had trouble convincing my aging computer to let me back on!! i want to chat with you though!

amber
I think it's great you chose to "belly-ache" and "*****" instead of using--This is the place for it!  You have been one of my many inspirations--Good Luck my friend--Peace and Prayers Mystere

Anne
Hey Rode - rant all you want....we all do it; venting is good for the soul.  I LOVED the movie Trainspotting; the part where the guy dropped his dope down the filty public toilet and went after it head-first just mesmerized me.  (Sadly), I realize that I would probably do the same thing (yuk, and double yuk).  Hope ya get a hold on those cravings; will keep my fingers crossed for ya.  Love ya, Lisabet
READ MY POSY ABOVE
hi i just read your post from today the 29th and i have to say that i have been in your shoes and trying to ween yourself off  well to be honest it doesnt work at least for me it hasnt i would get  60 vics and say ok  im only going to take 4 a day and yeah it would work for 2 days then before i knew it i was taking 10 a day then they would be gone and the hunt for more pills would start again.  i also tried to take ultram to try to control myself but  they are just as bad  even if i take them for a week or so and when i run out i start getting the withdrawl (withdrawal) symtoms (symptoms) all over again. it just plan sucks. like i have said i have tried to go cold turkey but when you have three kids all screaming at once  and your sick  it is really the worst feeling in the world.  the only thing that gets me throught is knowning that im not only in this battle  good luck to you   gamzz
Pax here again. Have slipped twice now since being clean for about a month. Keep slipping withnorce (only 5 at a time though not the 18 of late) for 3days once a day. What am  doing to my withdrawal time? AM I damaging it or just prolonging the agony a few more days or really setting myself back even further? I still have no energy to speak of though and am wondering how long that will carry out? any ideas for me out there? Remember I was coming off a 4 1/2 to 5 80mg oxycontin to start my nightmare about a month ago. ( if that has a bearing on my recovery time? )
Thanks for any input on this
hi i just read your post and i am new at this as well and all i can say to you is that i found about about a new drug called buprenorphine it is a treatment for opiate abuse and it is suppose to be a lower dose then methadone and from what i have read it is a new treatment for opiate abuse and that is what i am looking into myself and it could be used alone or in combination with naxalone so you can always check in to that  and the best thing that i have read about that is that you can do it as a outpatient. it is suppose to help stop the withdrawl (withdrawal) which is hell for me so im looking forward to finding out some info about this new treatment and i pray that it works your not alone in this hell... good luck to you and everyone
                              gamzz
Good morning my guardian Angel--AH Yes I came "of age" during the so-called "Tacky" decade--I graduated H.S. in 1973--30 freakin yrs ago? Those were the days--bell-bottoms,disco,"hot pants"--Day 10 and standing strong!  I find it getting much easier to atay focused--I love reading your posts--Especially if the "BEAST" tries to rear it's ugly head--I hope you have a great day--I'll probably post from work--Thank God I work for a friend because I would have been fired long ago! Peace & Prayers my love Mystere/AKA N.O. Lady

Anne
I forgot--things are better than ever with hubby--he seems to share Jack Trinpey's philosophy--"Just Quit"--just quit taking those pills that have been making your life a living hell--What a concept! And when you really really look at it it is not all that complicated!--I think we addicts like to complicate things anyway--Have fun with laundry--I'm off to check the breeding paper on my desk-AH Yes beaurocracy Gotta Love It!
Peace & Prayers Mystere/AKA N. O. LAdy

Anne
yo pax , hippy here,
one thing i wanted to mention ,
when we stop taking  say 5 80's
for a month or so, our tolerence started to go down,
many addicts have gotten clean for a while and then went and used
the big mistake is they jump right back to the amount they were last taking , this is an easy way to die. , i have senn many
friends go this path .
if you relapse take it slow.

peace!!!!!!!hippy
Hippy I have lost a few junkies friends that way.  Thinking they could go back to thier old use.  Some very young, it is very sad.

Melly did you call a methadone clinic to see how much it is a week?  I am not suprised that your insurance will not cover it most do not.  But inpatient treatment that is a surprise.  That kind a sucks not to have that option you know?  At least you can do the out patient treatment counseling.  Hope it helps!  

NO Lady, girl go back and read your post from a week ago!  What a difference! Keep your chin up!  Pamela
hi pam,
discovery house, is a m clinic in pa , there are a few of them.
it is a 100 a week, for a year commitment,
liquid handcuffs.
peace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hippy
THere is a Discovery House on this side of PA too!  Man they must be making a ton of money!  I feel bad for some of my friends who were so in need of a solution to thier addiction and started in with the clinic.  They did restart thier lives but now they have to come off of high doses.  Methadone from what I understand is the worst kick ever.  Withdrawals can last for months and months however chronic severe pain patients sometimes require this high level of care.  For many of them there are no other options to lead a productive life.  I guess it is a good and bad thing, and a personal choice.  Pamela
Does anyone know why this forum was tried to be shut down before there were Doctors involved? I guess I think it is an absolute "GOD SEND". And I saw a comment, pertaining to the fact that it was apparently critisized by some people, until the Drs. opinions were added. I guess I can't figure how something that could save someones life, would be put down.It is a lifeline for some of us.(And I do mean LIFELINE.)
I have always had access to vicodin for migranes (migraines) but never used them on a regular bases.18mos ago I lost my 25yr old son.I started taking vikes for headaches and found it numb me from some of my grief.I got so I would take them to keep me from crying all the time. 6 to 8 a day.Three weeks ago I decided it was time to face the facts and get off the vikes only to find out I couldn't stop. I was freaked and started looking for answers and accidently found all of you.all of you have inlightend me a great deal.I had no idea.all of you gave me the strength to tell my husband and my daughter.they are both very supportive but we have no clue except what I've leared from you. My husband is taking a week off to take me somewhere to try cold turkey.meanwhile I'm at4to6 a day.the sad part is I never understood my son He died from vicdin OD. I understand now to late and I am so sorry.
Thanks for the vote of confidence!  I have read some of my previous posts and it's very hard to believe that was me approx one week ago!  I remember being so desperate and scared! I am living proof that things can turn around and rather quickly I might add--ONCE YOU make the decision that the drugs just aren't worth it anymore!  If just one person can read some of these posts and be spared the horrors of addiction This web-sight will have done it's job!Thanks so much for caring-- I hope you are doing well pammy--Peace and Prayers--Mystere/AKA N.O. Lady

Anne
Okay, if buprenorphine can only be rxd by certain doctors, is there any longlasting opiate used for withdrawls that regular doctors can prescribe? What about this suboxone? Is that only by bup doctors, too? The bup doctor listed for my town isn't actually rxing it yet and doesn't know when he'll start. There's another bup doctor further away who I left a message for. So frustrating!! Any info?
Suboxone is bup with a naltrexone it so that poeple can't shoot it up.  They are tablets that go under your tougue.  Bup comes in IV or IM form and can be prescribed for pain.  Suboxone can only be prescribed for three day detox.  My husband had great results with IM bup at every small doses.  Yes it is a pain to get filled and jump through all the hoops in the world but from what I understand totally worth it for a lot of poeple!    

NO Lady Keep posting.  You are a positive person and we need lots of that!  love, Pammy
reading everybody's posts sure have helped, i also have lied, stolen from loved ones..did anything i could to get more vics.i havnt taken them in 4 days, have taken darvocet to ease the w/d, but they dont get me high at all..i was taking about 30 vics per day!!! sometimes more! i lost my job of 10 years basically because of that, did get a new job i start in a few days and am trying like hell to get well before i start on monday. i took my last darvocet yesterday afternoon, and im feeling pretty well.ive found that muscle relaxers work very well for the muscle cramps/pain. please, someone remind me how will i feel better without them..physically? ive been addicted for years and i dont remember how i felt..ive lost myself.
SORRY I HIT "POST COMMENT" TWICE!!
I was at 15 to 30 vics a day...quit ct 10 days ago....what a *****....feel better now...no more
hey i thought id write im a 22 yr old f who has been dealing with a horrible drug addiction since 14 yrs old where my own mother started me on it...i have oded many times been dead and got recusitated bak to life at age 16 ive lived on the streets and done many horrible things like we all do when we are using...ive been in programs my whole life rehabs half way houses residentials day programs the list goes on so i am very educated when it comes to addiction i just cant seem to get a hold of my problem i just got off 150 mg of methadone for 3 yrs straight a few months ago it was the worst thing i have ever been through in my life i was in the er 5 times in one month...im so sik and tired of this i just cant deal with it anymore i started shootin up again right after i got off the methadone but dont feel the same high even after 5 months and im glad i dont because thats what really got me to stop i was sick of usin just not to be sik even though i didnt get high ...today is my 3rd day  with nothing i stare at the clock till 5 am then have horrible pains in my rib cage specially to the left side i have had hep c before and right before i was going to start the interfuron it cleared by itself which i didnt know it could do but i was only 17 when i got it and the dr. said if u have a strong immune system it can clear it...ne ways these pains feel the same they are wiked horrible i just sit there and cry and throw up littarly every 5 min. then at about 12 am i stop throwin up and it continues to happen the next day but it only happens comin off the heroin..i cant even sit with myself i take like seriously 10 or more baths a day to try and ease the pain ...is this gonna stop? i know i am a very strong girl and thats y i decided to just do this on my own and get it over with so i can be succesful in my young age since all my friends are already dead mostly..i just moved to nc from boston n dont know anyone really so i am doing this all on my own and it is so hard but im almost there.. guess i really just need some support and need to know this pain is going to pass even tho it doesnt feel like it will...does ne one get this similiar pain or no whats goin on? thanks so much im hopin tomorrow on my 4th day i feel a little better i shut my phone off and am just sittin here dealin wit this even tho i can get ne thin i want right now knowin it will make me feel better temporarily but then ill have to go through this all over again and im almost at the end sorry so long i had to write cuz i feel very alone and need the support thanks so much!
Please start a new post, go to top of page.

Welcome to the Forum!
Wow!!!  What a story - -- but goingtomakeit is right - - you must start a new thread - this one is old - 2003    You will get lots of support and help - just start a new post.