Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Quitting Tramadol (Support Group) 2

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Quitting Tramadol (Support Group) 2

Just starting a new Thread.  This is continued from Thread "Quitting Tramadol (Support Group)".

Hi All!
I had horrible panic attacks coming off of tram they would wake me up at night they were scary .
If your brain is used to getting its fix from hydrocodone the tramadol might not do much other than attenuate your wds a bit, and it affects everyone differently.  I came off of about a year of a hydro addiction after two shoulder surgeries, but detoxed a few times when I would run out of pills early. I of course built a tolerance and without a drug holiday couldn't even get a buzz from 10+ 5/500's, but my doctor started giving me norcos and 20 and 40mg oxycontins and I'm sure you can see where that went.  However, the wds while unpleasant as can be, are usually over a relatively short time span, and I started feeling better/human around day 5 and got better and better everyday until I lost count of how many days I was clean.  When I started having shoulder problems again I asked for something non narcotic and was given tramadol/ultram under the premise that it was safe to take everyday and wasn't habit forming (alot of drs get there info from the drug manufacturer).  After being on them for just a couple weeks I wasn't able to get my refill due to being out of town, and I experienced the most horrible wds I had ever gone thru, it was like others had said as far as the usual opiate wd symptoms, but with severe anxiety, depression, brain zaps, and I kept having to move my arm/shoulder and other muscles every two seconds because I got a really sharp sensation, not pain, maybe rls (which I never experienced on the hydro/oxy).  I couldn't sleep, and had the common lack of any motivation at all, I felt like I weighed a ton and could barely move.  Within 5 ofminutes getting my script when I returned and popping a few pills, I felt great.

The tramadol affects you seratonin, but also raises norepinephrine, or adrenaline,  usually the first day I would take trams after any amount of time off of them I would be up and wired for at least two days, for the first couple weeks before my tolerance started raising I would be wired and have a euphoric effect that was similiar to vicodin but without the  "warm" feeling I get from vics and percs, I've never tried meth but the effects the tram had on me sound very similiar.  I hardly slept, never ate, felt great, and  had so much energy and motivation, not to mention just overall feeling "great" that I got tons of things accomplished, my productivity was elevated to say the least.  After a couple weeks though same old story, instead of 4-6 pills a day start needing 8, and then 10, etc.  Also I started having side effects after a few weeks, such as going from needing only a few hours of sleep to barely being able to get out of bed after sleeping 12 hours a day consistently.  

I started the trams last november, quit january, and then started up again in march-aug 5th.  I think I am on day 46 and I am still feeling lethargy and depression, and do not feel like I'm thru it yet, I feel maybe 65% although I have a few good days here and there.  I also feel like my testosterone disappeared as my body and mind cringe at the thought of doing anything physical, and I have to will myself to get anything accomplished.  My doctor put me on wellbutrin, which I think is helping with the cravings, and I said he was going to give me a script for a testosterone gel when I get back to town which can help alleviate the depression as well.  Im in the army, and I do either 2-5 miles runs every morning  or muscular endurance m-f,  as well as lift weights 3-4 times a week, have been eating well, and taking all the recommended supplements (l-tyro, 5htp, 5sam, multi vit, protein shakes, etc) and still am feeling the depression after a month and a half, and I wasn't depressed at all prior to taking the trams.  

I've noticed you've asked a few times about the trams in the various threads and mentioned you had access to some, I'm not questioning your integrity at all brother, but you would best serve yourself and spare yourself alot of grief by getting rid of them and not having to find out for yourself which is easier to wd from, especially after getting off the hydros and getting the clean time.  I noticed too that after taking tramadol for awhile, I didn't get the same effect from vics and percs, what used to be enough to get me buzzed all day, was barely enough to feel anything, and this was after being off the trams for over a week.  I though my tolerance would be pretty low after 8 days, but I ended up taking 60mg of oxycodone and barely got a 45 minute buzz.  That was kind of a wake up call for me as I realized I was changing my brain chemistry by using.

I hope someday soon this depression will lift so I can enjoy life again, it feels like I'm just wasting days right now, and I have so much to be happy about, but it doesn't help at all.

Sorry for the novel, but I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression about tramadols being a "weaker" opiod, because the are a nasty drug and are very difficult to quit.
Yes sir.  That's what it's like!  And I have only tread the shores of Tramadol's withdrawals as of yet, for I have never come off of being on so many for such a long time.  I have yet to sway from my course though.  I can only stay positive and stay on track.  Took 11 again today...and will go to 10 on Saturday and I'm excited about coming down.  I get more and More and MORE excited every time I drop a pill.  I was for a while doing 17,18,19 and sometimes 20 in one day.  So to me I've come a little ways so far.  And I am so glad you posted that info above.  Maybe K Todd will finally get the point.  Oh...I have tried crystal meth Twice in St Louis in the mid 90's.  And Yes, Tramadol does have very similar effects, although not nearly as intense, it is subtle.  I have read that if someone who does Meth took Tramadol, the Tramadol would intensify thier Meth high.  There has actually been scientific comparisons to the two, from what I read, some time ago.  Damn!  46 days and only 65%.   That *****!  I was always fine after about 5 days, coming off hydros.  Day 20 I would be like 95% normal again.  I did not think Tramadol withdrawals where going to be that drawn out.  I'm glad I know now though!  I know even more what to expect!  :)   I'm getting my life free and clean again!   Ryan...if you are around...you could end up being an invaluable source of help/info for me.
How funny you should mention the effects seem similiar to meth.  I recently did a drug test (on myself) anf it came up slightly positive unfder meth not opiotes hmmm.  they do give me the effort I need to get things done.I don't have any trouble sleeping unless I take them close to bedtime them I lie awake or sometimes feel itchy.  ( I never will try meth) I to didn't get the same high from lortab, percs anymore after tram.  trying to stay at 8 per day and in the morning I wait as long as I can before taking them at all. I struggle most in the afternoon or the early evening when I am at home.  I am so glad this thread was started
yes giving the impression that tramaol is "weaker"or like ibuprofen is a really a bad perception to give .These pills are just as big of a problem a hydro's or oxys .Maybe even more so because people are underestimating them to much.
Wierd, tested positive for meth, because of Tramadol?  Never heard that before, could happen, just never heard that before.  You sure?  That's kinda interesting if you are right.  I tried meth in St Louis, my girlfriend at the time had always told me that was her favorite drug, I never let her have it though.  But one day at work, one of the guys that did it had some.  A little left in a small bag, so I asked if I could buy that, you know for my girlfriend.  He just gave it to me.  I took it home to her and she said there was enough for 4 doses.  So she said we would each do 1, and then we would each do 1 again the next day.  I never had any experience with Any form of speed before that.  And I have to say it was the most awsome feeling I have ever experienced on any drug ever.  8 hours of Pure Bliss.  Words cannot begin to describe how intense that high was.  The next day it did the exact same thing as the first time.  But then I made a conscious choice to never ever do that again.  And never did.  But damn...WOW!  No wonder Hitler had his whole army pumped up on that stuff.
Took 11 again today, of course, and everything went fine, of course.  Can't wait till Saturday...come down to 10.  I'm excited.  Hope everyone else is doing thier best at staying on thier track.  I say do what you all want...till I catch up...lol, not really.  Most of you guys take less than me it seems.  
I have noticed that the 11 I am on per day now, work just as well as the 15 per day I use to take.  Once I leveled off at 11.  I'll bet when I get down to 6 a day, those will work as well as the 11 I'm taking now, once I level off on 6.  Anyone else kinda feel like that?  Well the real hard part begins, I'm sure, when one jumps off completely.  I am And am not looking forward to that.  I been thinking, for someone on 4 pills per day, for them to drop a pill would be for them to drop thier dose by 25%.  But a person on 10 per day, goes down one pill and is only coming down 10% of thier dose.  I think this is important.  So dropping from 10 straight to 7.5 pills per day would make someone probably feel about the same as someone on 4 pills per day going straight down to 3 per day.  If any of that makes sense.
How often are u dropping a pill?  I am at every 5 days and I agree once ur body adjusts to the dosage it is ok.  When I first started w/ 4 in the morning istill felt bad now the 4 is enough and I feel fine.  What is your schedule??  I think maybe I started w/ too low a dose I was taking up to 15 before I started so trying to stay start at 8 is pretty hard but I was trying to make it all fit w/in one script of 180 ct tram so I wouldn't have to order another one but now I'm not so sure that wa such a gerat idea my afternoon as hell w/ out more. I thought the whole drug test thing was weird to so I tried it again w/ a new (same saliva test) and it came up the same.  I have these testing kits because I test other employees when they start work.  The urine test I took (random) came back negative tho cuz I was not over my perscription amount I think.  Maybe they never detected it since the lab didn't call at all.  Whew!!
trami how many are you taking now ? I know a few weeks  ago you were on 8 how are ya doing now are ya down to like 6 yet
I am really going to try to join you guys in a quitathon. last time i was here i was down to a few pills. then my husband had surgery again. so they gave him percocet and vicodin. and i loveeeee the high off percs. i finnished off his first bottle of a hundred. and 4 or 500 vicodin in the last 6 months. now i am back on 4 tramadol in the am with 3 10mg vicodin.... then in the midmoringin around 11 i take 3 tramadol or 4 depending on my mood. with 2 percocets. so i get that high feeling ..only now within an hour or so the buzz is gone and i feel sick to my stomach but if i take 2 more percs it goes away. so by 3 i take another 4 tramadol and 3 more vicodin. and then before bed antoher 4 tramadol and another 3 vicodin...so lets see that totals...16 to 20  50 mg tramadol a day... plus..9 to 12 vicodin a day and 4 to 6 percocets a day.. and when i just typed that... whoa.. i cannot believe that i am taking that much stuff. doesnt seem like that when i am taking them. but when i type it out its bad. i am worried i am gonna overdose or have a siezure from taking too many. i know my body is used to taking all those pills but today.. no percocets.   thats my goal. only vicodin and tramadol and i have promised myself only 3 tramadols at a time not 4. doenst sound like much of a start but for me .. its a huge HUGE step .

Denise
I've read through all of these comments already posted & right now I'm scared to death. I am an alcoholic. I finally gave it up for good almost 10 years ago. I still remember how awful those withdrawls were & thought that withdrawl (withdrawal) from tramadol wouldn't be that bad but now I realize how foolish that was!! I got myself into this mess after hand surgery. At first I was on vicodine & then the Orthopedic Surgeon urged me to switch to ultracet because I was building up a tolerance to the vicodine. I still remember he assured me that I couldn't get into any trouble because they were DEFINITELY NOT habit forming. That was 6 years ago. I hope the Medical Community has come to terms with the truth. This **** is every bit as addictive as any of the opiate drugs. The worse part is that it's so easy to get. There are so many websites that will ship it to you for just answering a few medical questions. I can see already that coming off alcohol is going to seem like a piece of cake compared to this!
I am still at 8 I decided to make my taper slower since I wound up getting a unexpcted shipment of tramadol and can't bring myself to flush it especially since they billed $130.00 to my credit card!  So  My plan is to stretch this taper out through OCT and be done so that gives the baby a good 2 1/2 months to be free from tram I sure hope he is ok.  I know all his parts are where they should be I just worrry about his mind. He's moving around now and that really helps keep me on track.  I put my ultrasound pic on my desk and when I think of having more I look at it.  It helps.
8 per day is not bad at all.  Saturday I'll be at 10 per day.  I'm going to stick with going down 1 per week for now.  So in 15 days, I'll be at 8 per day too.  WooooHoooo!
Wow, that is a lot.  What do you think would happen if you just took 20 Trams a day and that's it?  Would you withdrawal from the others?  Just curious.
How long have you been taking the Tramadol?
If there is any way you could stay on a realistic amount of the others and come off the Tramadol, that would be the very best thing you could do right now.  If you have not been on the Tramadol for very long, you may be able to come off fast and easy with little to no withdrawals.
Actually you have addiction problem just a bit too complex for me to relate to, never having done percs.  Lots of Hydrocodone and Tramadol.  But never took a perc.  But I think you can do it.  I've seen people much worse off.  If anything you will come down in doses at least, and the more you come down, the better for you.  6-8 Trams a day.  4-6 hydrocodone a day and 4-6 percs a day.  That sounds healthier.  Or 10-12 Trams and 6-8 hydrocodones?  That would be much better.
I felt a lot better after reading your post. I thought I was the only one who was using such huge amounts. The tapering is such a slow process though that it's driving me crazy. It has taken me 4 months to go from 36/day to 24/day. Sometimes I feel hopeless when I realize that I'm not even halfway to clean! I'm really glad I found this website. Thanks to everyone.
Wow!   36 - 24.  I never heard of someone taking that many per day.  Can I ask though, how much do you weigh?  I take 11 per day and weigh 110.  So would that mean that someone who is 220 would have to take 22, for us both to be taking the same amount?   Hmmm, I take 1 for every 10 pounds I weigh per day.
I would think weight might have some bearing on it. I'm 143. Over the years though I have built up a heavey tolerance for alcohol and at one time I was on Norco for a long period of time also.
Me too, Norcos, I ate 40 in 14 hours once.
I have 20 Norco right now...I been saving them.  Don't care for them much anymore.  My mom gets them and gives me 2 or 3 once in a while.  I take a dose once in a blue moon.  I have to have like a bad headache or something.  I want to feel the same way towards Tramadols.
It took me 6 yrs to get up to the 36 mark, If you needed a scrip to get the stuff I would have never reached this point. I truly hope they reclassify it as a sched 2
I'm afraid of tram now. I don't think I'll ever be able to use it "as directed" only when necessary. I've avoided norcos since I quit (8 yrs ago)
No, I won't use Tramadol ever again once I get off.  That will be it!  
Gday a ?

Does a person on 10 50mg a day (500mg)using for pain for 2 years      have the same problem with addiction as the person who's been taking 4 50mg a day(200mg) for 2 years for pain also......

What's everyone think   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I suppose if they both can't stop w/o w/d
It would probably be worse for the person taking 10 per day for a couple years I suppose.  The withdrawals would probably reflect that.  Maybe if the person on 10 dropped to 4 for a couple weeks, then both taper down 4-0 together, the withdrawals would be close to the same.  But Logic kinda tells me, I don't think that's so.  Taking more means tweaking your system more, thus probably worse withdrawals in the long run, real good question though.  Bottom line is I really don't know to tell you the truth.  I can only guess.
IF they where in the same boat, it would be kinda Wacked, someone having to suffer no more or no less than someone taking much more.  Tramadol is so wierd, it could be that way.  I don't think it would be the same if someone was on 4 per day and quit cold turkey compared to someone taking 10 per day quitting cold turkey.  The person on 10 would without a doubt suffer more.  I wonder when/if the givernment will ever control Tramadol, like hydrocodone and others.
I mean Government, I spelled it wrong.
I'm still here. I took 5 yesterday and am at 3 today thus far. I got some vicodin and did waaay too many for a couple days...like 10 the 2nd day. Wound up with a major Migraine type headache which I assume was related to the tylenol. Guess I won't be using that to try to get of trams again. ugh...the headache even came back today and I haven't had any since.
not sure what I was thinking. I just kept taking them hoping I wouldn't need the tram but they weren't helping.
d
Alright, I'm at 10 per day!  WoooHooo!  Well tomorrow is my first day at ten, but whatever, I'm at 10 per day now!  WoooHooo!!!  Still on track and going STRONG!  Nothing has even budged me off my course so far.  Grrrrr!!!  I just kinda wish it went faster.  But patience is a virtue, I guess.  So I'll just have to work on patience at the same time.  Thanks everyone for all the support I have got so far.  So many awesome people here and so helpful.  And thank you to those trying to group together with me and trying to go down the same road with me, those of you are very special in my heart.  I wish success to everyone.
wtg!!!
Slowly but surely we will get there!!
I am keeping it at 5 today at max, then will go down to 4 on Monday I think.
I just wasn't really paying attention before so I feel like I need to stay at 5 or less for a bit before I concentrate on going down to 4.
d
yea, that's real good, 4-5.  Hope it goes well Monday for you.  I'm not sure what to expcet, not having done 10 or less in quite a long time.  But time will tell.  
Congrats!!! It's a long slow process but it's worth it! I can't wait for the day when I can say "this is my first day of 10". I'll be praying for you.
Glad to hear everyone is coming doing well and sticking to there taper.
I wanted to clarify, that although I still am coming along at around 50 days and dont feel completely better, its alot better actually having feelings and not being numb to the world like when I was on tramadol.  

I think because addiction mess's with our pleasure-reward circuit of our brain it takes awhile for us to feel really happy after quitting, as even though when we have the pills in our possesion/system they take a back seat to our activities and enjoyment, you realize the first time you don't have them that finding/using has taken first priority in your life, as you cant do anything or want to without them.

Your most important ally while trying to quit any substance in my opinion, is your thought process, if you really want to quit you have to realize that you just have to get through the present, and not worry so much about the next days(s).  Quitting tramadol is about endurance, and when I thought about looking forward to at least a week of acute symptoms, especially  when time slows down, its almost too much to bear.  Take it a day at a time, and before you completely taper off/cold turkey, write down in a journal the reasons you want to quit. I wrote a note to myself before I quit, to remind me that I wasn't happy on the pills, and not to forget and relapse, and that really helped me because everytime I thought I wanted to give up and take some pills, I read that remembered that my mind was trying to trick me, and I wasn't any happier on the pills.

That point you are trying to make above is in my opinion the most immportant point.  That it the very hardest part, making up your mind, having a plan and staying on course with that plan.  After quitting, not being sucked right back into the whole mess again.  That is the part I have been thinking about the most.  It is going to be hard, very hard.  But I do have a plan, and I have stayed on track with that plan, thus so far.  I am now at 10 per day, which is still a lot I know, but I have not cheated once.  And I have wanted to quite a few times.  I just resist.  And I am going to continue to resist until I am at 60 days clean and free like you bro!!  WooooHoooo, I can't wait and am so stoked about the whole thing.  This time it is different.  (at least for me in my mind)  I have simply made up my mind 100%.  I can't explain how/why/when a person gets to that point, but I am there, like I have never been there before.  But I know inside I am going to make it and I will be clean and free again.  I will!  And soon.  I want to be like my mentor, Ryan1979!!! LOL.  You rock Ryan!
Today was my first day of 10 per day.  So far everything seems to be ok.  No bad feelings yet.  If I do have any mild withdrawals it will probably be within the next 24 hours.  I am a little tired, I going to sleep.  I post again later.
It took me several attempts before I got to this point, I've come off tramadol probably 10 times and didn't make it.  My mindset was killing my efforts, because I wasnt completely ready to quit.  I knew that the pills where bad and led nowhere  good, but I kept putting off quitting for good as a excuse and used the pills to elevate my mood to deal with difficult situations in my life.  After I realized that I would never truly be happy while taking the pills, and I mean "realized" because I knew this but for whatever reason didn't believe in it until that point if that makes sense.  This last time I quit has been really challenging, not the week or so of wds, but the constant depression that comes after the detox is over, but it feels like its lifting more and more everyday and i'm starting to feel like myself.
I use to not care.  I took them every day and did not even consider quitting.  And I just enjoyed them to my liking.  If I felt like taking a couple more, I would.  Averaging 15 a day, sometimes up to 20.  But I came to the conclusion I don't want them in my system.  It's as simple as that.  I plain don't want Tramadol in me anymore.  I would quit cold turkey, but my body and all logic says that's a bad idea.  So I'm going to go down, 1 pill per week like I have been.  Get to zero, take two weeks vacation, have a bottle of Valium and Ambien ready and some Thomas Recipe items.  And go for it.  I can only hope for the best.  I know it's not going to be fun or pleasant, it's going to be hard and painful.  But I'm ready for it, and I'm not even scared anymore.  I will suck it up and keep on going.  Ryan, I noticed you said you are in the military.  I used to be in the Army.  I was at 75th Rangeer Regiment 3rd, Ranger Battalion, Ft Benning Ga for two years.  In Benning from Feb 1991 to Oct 1993.  Went to Germany Echo Company 51st Infantry, LRRP.  (1 year there) We where the only airborne unit in all of Germany, except a Special Forces unit. Finished in Bragg, 82nd Airborne.  (Left Army 1995)  I was in Desert Storm and Bosnia.  What's your MOS?  What branch did you say?  I can't remember, I'd guess Army.  What's wierd is that I know in my gut that had I not got out after my first enlistment, I would have died within my second enlistment.  So I have no regrets.  It had it's ups and downs that's for sure.
I've been getting hit with fraud charges on my credit card.  What's wierd is that it was within the same week I joined this forum when the fraud charges started.  The only place someone could have got my information (credit card) would be through a pre-order form that I would be sent via E-Mail for my Tramadol refills.  I was wondering if anyone here has been hit with fraud charges on thier credit card recently other than me.  I think maybe someone spotted me here at this forum and decided to hack me somehow.  I even use PanSinoeis for my name here and my e-mail is ***@****.
Well other than the fraud thing, everything is going alright.  I'm going to be at 9 per day starting tomorrow.  WoooHooo...9 per day!!!  I'm a week ahead of schedule.  Hope I don't have any bad withdrawals at work tomorrow, but I don't care if I do.  Never been as low as 9 a day in quite some time.  But I took 11 Fri and 10 on Saturday and 10 on Sunday.  I just threw up some of my dose on Sunday.  That's why I'm just going to drop to 9.  I figure I kinda took less than 9 today.  I took 7 and threw up 45 minutes later, then took 3 about an hour and a half after that.  So 9 should do me ok for tomorrow.  Now my mom and I take the same amount per day.  Now she is going to join me in going down from here.  But she is going to 4 per day and staying there she said.  She can't read or write so she won't be here, although I will give her good support.  I'm glad I get some support here, it helps.  Wish me luck for tomorrow!  9 per day....WooooooHoooooo!  I'm so excited.
i would just like to say that i was taking ultram for four years eveyday. I got up to about 12 to 16 a day plus last year i hurt my finger or lost the tip oif it in my trailer hitch.i then started to abuse oxycontin for six months and still took my ultram.i was so tired of taking the pills and it was ruining my life. i came to the point where i quit cold turkey it was pure hell and had all the withdrawl (withdrawal) symtems of a opiate. i was reading online other people stories of quiting and it takes i think even longer than a regular opiate. i had three weeks of no sleep, rls, and my body felt like it was a 1000 pounds. i hope anybody who is ready to quit can do it just realize it is going to be a long process but one you can win. it is a nasty drug and i hope all of you will be able to beat this battle. the depression is the worst and the no sleep. in two in a half weeks i think i slept 8 hrs off and on. and i went to work full time everyday working 11 to 12 hrs a day putting in vinyl fence by myself i dont know how i made it. but good luck to all of you and if you have any questions just ask i hope i can help.
Thanks for the advise, That's very strong, that you quit.  And what a Hell it must have been doing it and working at the same time.  But you are right about Tramadol.  It is nasty stuff.  I am in the process of quitting myself, and every time I hear another story like yours, it just keeps me that much more motivated.  Lets me know it can be done.  Thanks again and stay clean bro.
Hi there,

Just wanted to say I read your response to me, and I thank you very much for explaining the difference in a very detailed way. That really means alot to me....as well as others who may have read it...

Thanks again, and I am so happy for you and everyone here fighting to get thier God Given Right..for their FREEDOM, from their DOC !!

God Bless You all,
Love
Todd

PS:   PanS.... I will never make a comparison like that again! I know anything that is addictive, is stupid to compare to IBU...
Glad to hear everything is going alright for you.  Nice to hear from you again here.  And that's Awesome that you are still on track and clean!  Just don't let yourself relapse And stay away from Tramadol the same as you would stay away from your hydrocodone.  Hope you have not and are not going to experiment with Tramadol.  That's all.
Hi Everyone - I am new to the group.  I have been sober for 24 years then had shoulder pain then surgery and got Tramadol after vics for a couple days - thought being nonnarcotic would be good.  

First time I was on for a month or so then off, no problem.  Had more shoulder problems and this time I was on them for 3-4 months
Coming off was really bad.  And I did not take more than 1 at a time and 3-4 a day.  I have had anxiety problems before so thought that is what it was.  Got some anti-anxiety and that helped me stay off.  

Had some more joint problems - more Tramadol and now I am taking more - 5-6 a day.  I have no pain left so I have to get off these and I am a bit scared to go cold turkey even if it has only been maybe 2 months.

My son was on these - we were in China for business, I saw him have a grandmal (sp) seizure - scared the **** out of me, thought he was dying.  I think he is off now (think) but I still got back on them - how stupid is that?  And being clean and sober for 24 years and active in AA.

So do I want to come off slow because I like to take them or because I fear the withdrawal?  Trying to be honest with myself - thinking it is because I like them.  Any comments?
Hon, this is a very old thread!  Go up to the top of the page and click on the ask a question orange button.  Copy and paste your post to start a  new thread that will be seen as new and you will get support!  I don't want you to be missed.
Hi i was searching for long time and i found your story.A fter that i think i know what my problem.I am sufering from bad back pain and over 2 years i tried all the piils norco vicoden  delouded, till one of the doctor prescribde me tramadol a am taking it forover year and all what you said its so true after i read your messege i think i wont o shoot myself.i am taking alot of pills and i am think its very bad .my day start with pills because after night time i am filling so bad my back and hands hurt so much . after i am taking tramadol i am laying down till the pills start works and then i can do some stuff at home i feel its horoble.Idont know how to stop it i still have pain bud  tramadol is wors than other pills.and i have to be 24 hours awake i am really busy i have 2 babies at home and cooking cleaning feedind the kids i dont know how to stop it.I were so happy when the doc gave me tramadol he said its not a narcotic but after taking it i realized that it even worst i dont feel the pain its dull after taking pills but how long i can take it before i will end on without kidneys shout i dont know what to do because doctors can give you tramadol but they not willing to give you vicoden or norco that helps me .SORRY ITS A LONG STORY BUT YOU R THE ONLY PERSON THAT PROBABLY UNDERSTAND WHAT I AM THROUGH
ykitty, this is a very old thread.  The person you are talking to may not even be here on this site anymore.  See the post just before yours and follow the instructions to start a new thread to get help/support.
Hi everyone I too have fell victim to tramadol addiction...was taking 10 a day for the longest time but slowly over the last year have got down to 3 just can't seem to get any lower I want off this crap !! There I feel better lol thanks !!
Hi everyone. I am a 20 year old mother of a 2 year old son. I was first faced with tramadol when I was almost 16 years old. I had suffered a late miscaridge and my mother gave me a tramadol to ease the pain. My mother has also been addicted to the nasty drug for almost 6 years now. Basically after she gave me just one thats all I needed to be hooked. I dropped out of HS at 17, and was working fulltime taking tramadol to keep me as perky and energized as possible. I would take the drug whenever I could get my hands on it which was quite often. My mom spent thousands buying hundreds off pills online from India since its over the counter there. It was always easily accessible for me. Once I found out I was pregnant the second time I was clean off of everything. Had a easy smooth pregnancy. A couple of months after my son was born I find a bottle of tramadol at my mothers house and itb was a demon took over me! I hadnt touched the drug in well over a year but once I saw that bottle and read the name of the prescription it was literally seconds before I put one to my lips. My mom contributed alot over the next few months as well as me buying street pills such as vicodin or norcos to help keep the withdrawal away. Finally one day my fiance saw how bad my use had got and flushed well over 40 100mg pills. I was at my lowest and he had no idea how hard it was to get off this drug. I suffered for many many sleepless nights. Even after the physical dependance was gone I still suffered severe depression and anxiety. I hated myself. I felt like such a failure that i could be so depressed from all this. After a few months I slowly but surely got back into a better rhythm but it wasnt long before I was faced with the drug again. Of coarse at my mothers house. And like that I was on it again everyday. I had seen doctors many times before that for migraines and the tramadol really helped. I told myself this time I wasnt abusing the drug I was treating my blinding headaches. Although treatment surely turned to abuse sure enough. I always seem to find myself buying them recreationally just to avoid withdrawl (withdrawal)...not even to feel good at this point. Long story short my prescription ran out and I am DONE with this ********! I've let my addiction hold me back a long time and I am ready to face the world. I am so young!
If anyone has any advice on the mental treatment of tramadol dependancy? Sharing my story has already made me feel soo much better!!