Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Quitting Tramadol (Support Group)

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Quitting Tramadol (Support Group)

I'm just trying to bring together some people interested in quitting Tramadol.  I have made up my mind 100% and am going to quit.  So I'm tapering down 1 pill per week or two.  I was at 15 per day a couple months ago.  Now I'm at 11 per day.  I had an excellent support group when I had to quit taking Methadone back in 2004 Aug. and it helped me a lot.  So if anyone would like to join me, come on in.
I just wanted to say good luck on your getting clean, and your new group, thats a wonderful thing your doing
I'll join you. I got stuck in the Tram Trap again because I have been abusing vicodin and percs...using trams in between scripts to ward off withdrawals. I said I'd never do this again and here I am...sigh.
I'm not taking too many a day right now...maybe 8 max on some days. Today I had only 1 vike and 1 tram at 7am and can feel the WD already so took 2 trams. Hoping that will hold me for the day.
Minn
That's awsome!  I wish that was all I was taking.  It will be.  I'll get there.  Today took 11 again!  So far so good.  And I'm so proud of myself for not cheating.  (Easy to do when you got 300+ Tramadols like I have right now)  I had a hard time here for the last couple hours.  I threw up once.  More dry heaving.  Anxiety and some chills.  Hard to eat today too.  But at least all my withdrawal symtoms (symptoms) are mild.  I feel better now that I threw up 10 minutes ago.  And all this from dropping from 12 to 11.  I think it's because I have not been lower than 12 in years.  I've gone all over from 12-20 in the past couple of years now.  So I am really on track to quit.  I think I'm going to come down 1 pill per week.  I was going to do every two weeks, but I think 1 pill per week is better for me.  I need to free of this drug by my birthday, March 7.  That's going to be my gift to myself.
Wow, all that from decreasing by one pill! I have not been taking a consistent amount of tram this time because of the hydro and oxycodones intermixed. They hit the same opiate receptors so I think my brain thinks it's all the same ****.
When I tapered before, I  think I was taking about 6 per day, so I did what you were doing and kept it consistently at 5 for the week I started. I wasn't really keeping track before I decided to quit, so it could have been even more on some days. Like you, I had a ton cuz they are cheaper that way so it seemed easy just to pop one, even tho I KNOW what it leads to! I just have stuff going on in my life right now that needs attention and can't spend the time being sick till mid October so that will be my goal..to taper and be off by November.I'll have time to "get the flu" then.

Today, I am now up to 5 because I was relying on it as a stupid emotional crutch and took 2 for that "boost"...I know...stupid!  Now that you've posted I will try to be more consistent and stay on 5 at max tomorrow, less if I can do it. I definitely felt crappy after just taking the one and waiting 5 hours for another so I know I'm addicted again.

I think decreasing by 1 per week is good. That's what I did last time. In fact as it got lower, I would decrease by 1/2 a pill just to make it easier on me. I had the pills all doled out for the week in one of those weekly pillholder thingys. It worked pretty well.
The main thing is to stick with it. It definitely CAN be done.

I remember when I was down to 1/2 a pill on some days and even just a 1/4 pill on others...finally was able to toss the remainder out and that felt so good!

We can do this...it just takes patience unless you have the time to get sick.

Sounds like a great gift to yourself!!

Oh and I also did acupuncture during my taper and after I quit...helped quite a bit with the anxiety, which gets really bad for me. That's more what scares me...the mental repercussions. I have issues with depression and anxiety to begin with.

Done

This is my 3rd go round w/this stupid drug and the first time I went c/t...no fun at all!
Last time I was quitting cymbalta at the same time so who knows which one was causing more misery than the other. Cymbalta is a bugger to get off ...the brain zaps are killer. At least I won't have those this time.
me again!
Hey are you doing any of the stuff rec'd in the Thomas Recipe?
I think I will be getting the amino acids, the ones that don't interfere w/my SSRI that is.
And, I have a script for klonopin for anxiety. I haven't needed it yet....saving it for the really bad days. I don't need another addiction!
good luck to u guys!  pulling together always helps
Done for good how many trams are you taking ? Taking trams and an ssri are dangerous tram already raises your serotonin levels do not take any ltryo hpt5 or sam e .you can
end up with something called serotonin syndrome  .it makes you quite ill and if not taken care of can be fatal .

I'm taking between 2-6 50 mg a day. I have been on SSRI's before and taken tram and no seizures. Yes...I know I'm still stupid to go back on these. I was just so afraid of the opiate wd I succumbed again. sigh.
I def won't take any of the l tyro or 5-htp..was aware not to mix those at least.

I've had seratonin syndrome before, accidentally was taking double dose of  my SSRI when I was on Lexapro. I never have gotten it w/mixing ultram and celexa for some freaky reason. I did cut my celexa pill in 1/2 till I get this ultram thing done with.
thanks for your concern.
Done
Yea, all that from dropping one pill.  It was actually only maybe 1-2 hours of mild discomfort though.  I felt fine after I threw up!  Felt fine ever since.  I think I am leveled off now for 11 a day.  I might feel kinda junky a little at work tomorrow, but I'm staying on course!  And great idea about the half pills, I never even really thought about that.  LOL.  That idea will come in handy, I know it will!  Especially when I get down to 2-4 a day.  Thanks.
I get brain zaps before a full 24 hours without Tramadol goes by.  Because I take all my doses before 10am, I have to go 20 hours roughly before my next dose.  And I already start getting mild brain zaps when I wake up in the morning.  Been like that for a long time.  Anyone else get that?  All I do know is that I kinda like the brain zaps.  OK, I don't kinda like 'em.  I like them.  Wierd a?  About the only withdrawal symptom I like.  I've never had a seizure or anything from Tramadol.  But I heard the real risk of having one is when someone is withdrawaling from coming off Tramadol.  Just hope I don't ever start having seizures.
No, no Thomas Recipe.  I was going to do that when I quit taking Tramadol all together for sure.  I have my herbs for now.  That helps, but I may have to look into the Recipe for some help.  
I am happy for you, and pulling others together in here.

I do have a question...because I have used tramadol in between scrips..(but they never stood a chance)...and then I would get hydros and quit the tramadol...

I am on Day 28 from 18-20 hydros a day....and I took 3 tramadol on day 4 and day 5...which did not seem to help with anythings...so I quit taking the tramadol...and had to side effects.

I was just wondering, you said that your took tramadol in place of opiates...hydro's, oxy, percs...and went through meth treatment 4 years ago....Just be honest...because to me tramadol is like asprin...but I know that there are many who do get some type of boost or buzz if they take enough....so my question is:

In all honesty....which is harder to quit?

1.) Opaites...cold turkey from hydro's, perc's. oxy etc....

2.) Tramadol....tapering off 1 pill per week?

I seriously dont know...but am curious...it seems you have done both...and I am just wondering is tapering of tramadol...or cold turkey from opiates harder?? There have been alot of posts on tramadol...and "Avisg" even posted the FDA facts in the health pages...

So in all honesty...which one of these is harder to quit...for you?

God Bless,
Todd
Oh so maybe my brain zaps were from the tram and not the cymbalta. Or probably just from decreasing seratonin? I didn't get the the first time I went off tram so assumed it was solely the cymbalta.
That is um, amazing you LIKE them! I thought they were horrible!

Yeah I think that's why it's so important to taper slowly, due to the seizure thing.

Do you take any other meds, aside from the herbs?

-done
I'm not sure if I'm qualified to answer that, but I would probably say tramadol for me because of the resulting depression and anxiety after coming off it. (Though I got that from vike/percs as well, so.....

Physically I think they are the same...diarrhea, flu stuff etc

Tramadol is easier to get...that's the problem. I WISH it only felt like asprin! I got a couple scrips for vike and perc and got addicted so when I had family coming to visit and needed to be "on" and not in full-blown withdrawal, I resorted to my old enemy, tramadol, to make sure I could avoid WD while they were here. Problem is...I got used to it and now am using it in btwn scrips as you said.

And I said I'd NEVER go back to it. The irony is that it really doesn't give me much of a high...slightly euphoric but nothing like vike or percs.

--Done
I have never said or written this to anyone. I have been using tramadol for atleast 5 years now. I had them prescribed to me when I had a surgery, but since I was also prescribed oxy as well I didnt even notice the tram so I stopped taking it. I was only 18 and this was the first time I even heard of painkillers.Before long I ran out of everything but the doctors werent interested in giving me anymore scheduled drugs. I was in real pain back then so I got the doctors to prescribe me 60 tramadol a month. This lasted probably about 2 years and then I found online vendors. The most I ever got up to was about 12 a day and I have been doing that on and off for about 2 years. Anyways I decided I am gonna quit and not waste any more money. I hope I can find support here as I have decided to try and taper fairly rapidly.
I would love to join a tram support group I am struggling on a taper of about 8 per day it is a slow taper cuz I am 5 mo pg It makes me feel terrible and I am scared to death.  I could use to talk tp someone who can help me.  What is a brain zap???  
I have done both hydro withdrawl (withdrawal) and tram wd tram was much worse
in what way was tram worse for you avisg?
Hi there,
I don't know what to say about being pg. Have you talked to your ob or another dr?
A brain zap feels like someone tied a fishing wire around your brain and the tugs on it. It doesn't make me dizzy or last long, but it's not a good feeling. So far, I have not had them.
I have only taken 2 trams so far today...going to see how that goes to wait till 5pm.
-Done
The depression sleeplessness the rls and I would wake in the middle of panic attacks not fun
Thanks. I do have ambien for the sleep issue and I've been lucky not to have had rls on any of my detoxes from opiates or trams.
Do you recommend starting in on the l-glutamine, l-taurine, vit c and l-thanine while tapering?
-d
I wouldn't until you are almost all of the way off .The vit c and b and a magnesium calcium supplement you can start now . I would hold off on the amnio just to be safe
ok thanks, I do take B and calc/mag now but I probably don't take enough. Maybe I'll get some of those emergenC packets too.
I take aprenatal vitamin everyday w/ folic acid I wonder if that is any help w/ w/d I was also considering Sam-e or St. Johns Wart the info is really not there on pg women tho (as I am findong w/ quite alot of things) So I guess I can ask my Dr. at my next apt.  The depression is really the worst part for me.  I haven't got so far into w/d that I can't sleep.  I can take tylenol pm  My plan is to taper and be completely off before my due date of 1/16 so my son is not born addicted or having w/d It is very hard but I am working on it w/ my taper plan.  Being pg and trying to get off this stuff is hell cuz there are so many things I can't take or it is just unkown if there are any side effects so I pretty much just have to pray and suffer:(
how's everyone doing?
I wound up taking 6 today. I think I could have done 5. Will try that tomorrow.
d
That's a real good question!  I use to Love the Hydros...now I can't stand them.  That, I found, was a process that took years for me.  I use to have the exact same feelings as you towards the Tramadol, so did my mom, HEH.  (now she takes 9 Trams per day)  But trust me, Tramadol is much worse to be involved with.  (It had withdrawals similar to Methadone.)  If you take 10-12 for three years straight, you would know what I'm talking about.  Which is harder?  Tramadol by far...once you have taken it to a certain level, and I have most certainly hit that level.  (Coming off 1 pill per week don't seek to be that bad so far, I must say.  I am still at 11, took 11 today. Felt fine all day.)  But I have taken 40 Norco 10's in 14 hours before.  (I weigh 115 lbs.)  So I took hydros as far as I could.  I would have killed myself by acetimetiphen overdose if I continued for another month on those...thus I turned to the Methadone on my day three of cold turkey from the pills.  Ha...but had to get back on hydros to get off the Methadone.  I could write a nice short story about all that.    When I relapsed from all that I went straight to Tramadol and left all others alone, and have since then.  It started 4 per day.  I was no stranger to Tramadol anyways, I would get 180 Norcos and 120 Trams a month.  I would spend two weeks on Hydros, switch to two weeks Trams, then get my refills.  Did that for like a year.  You can take my word for it...Tramadol is by far a much MUCH worse drug to be addicted to!!!  It just is...the sickness is more like hydro withdrawals with a severe anxiety attack on top of all that!  You literally feel like you are going to die!  That's to put it all briefly!
All I do is Tramadol.  And my herbs!  I smoke cigarettes.  I don't even drink.
My mom went cold turkey off tramadol TWICE...both times off 10-12 per day habit.  She almost died both times.  She was taken to the E.R. on the second day of withdrawals both times.  I begged her not to go cold turkey...she would not listen.  I just could not make her understand the dangers of what she was doing.  I could write a book about all that.  She relapsed after ALL THAT...and now she takes 9 per day.
I quit taking hydrocodones countless (6-12) times...and got to 20+ days.  (I'd just relapse)  And that was after taking about 20 per day for like months each time.  I was getting them from 2 doctors and buying them off the streets.  It really was not all that bad.  I wish all I had to deal with right now was hydro withdrawals.
Yea, hey I'm glad you came in.  I hope you can quit with me and others here.  It helps a lot having support.  I know what you are going through.  I very much want my life free and clean again.  I feel the life slowly coming back into me every time I drop a pill!  It's Exciting!  And I'm saving money!  Let us know how you are doing/what you are going through.  I'm glad you are here.
I have to stay at 11 per day till this weekend.  Since I walk 10-12 miles a day (about 7 hours non stop walking) reading water meters.  But Sat. I'm going to 10!!!  WooooHoooo!!!
Can anyone please describe to me the effect Tramadol addiction has on you? My husband is an addict for nearly 10 years with constant relapses. While I have been understanding I am becoming increasingly angry for my kids sake who now have no daddy living with them. He seems emotionally detached and altenates from wanting to change to could not care less, its everyone else's fault I am hooked on these so I will punish them. I don't understand which parts of his behaviour are Trams and if some of this behaviour is him. Please help me to understand the compulsion and its effect physically, emotiuonally and mentally. He can be very angry and not as affectionate towards anyone anymore ?????????????????????????
Weel done to all of you working hard to overcome addiction. Your families should be very proud, It is such a difficult thing to overcome but the rewards are plentiful. I hope my husband makes it so when our children look in Daddy's eyes they can see the real him and not a hazey intruder who has taken over is body making him unable to appreciate what is truelly precious in this world. Huge respect to you all, this site is fab if only he were open to it!
Hey great job at staying with your plan. I am feeling depressed lately which is why I think I succumbed to taking more than planned yesterday. I will really try to keep it at 5 today. The depression could be from the weather (fall is lovely, but winter is around the corner..ugh) or just the fact that I'm dealing with this **** AGAIN. I'm very disappointed in myself.
I find that even tho I don't NEED more I just WANT more and it is as if my body invent w/d or unpleasants like small headaches to encourage me to have somemore.  I must remember everyone els in the world gets headaches and they take tylenol for it and it works just fine for them so maybe I should try it.  8 a day is a lot of tramadol I suppose but I can get up to around 26 per day and nto be fazed.  I know if I took too muchif I start getting the involuntary jumping body movements or speech jerks (mini seizures) it is an awful feelings.  So taking too much can be really scary and u never know if it is going to be too much this time I have taken the same amount of pills and differnet times and it has efected me stronger some times more than others.  So what I think I can handle sometimes turns out to be more than I can handle.  I really should know better my brother and nephew both died from pills and alchohol.  Altho I don't drink (at this point)  and I don't think I'll go back to it.  This is the longest I've been in years w/out drinking and it feles really good.  I have to be careful cuz I have a long family history of alchoholism (alcoholism).  Quiting drinking was easier than I excpected.  I used to drink every day (not enough to get a hangover but still) My evening were just not enjoyable w/out a feww glasses of wine.  & maybe it is cuz I am pg but I would take a nice scoop of ice cream over a glass of chardonney any day.  It is nice not to have to worry about it (my brother died from drinking and after he turned yellow it was all down hill from there)  I also want to set a good example to my kids.  I banned my H from drinking during the week he does it on weekend and I think , "Geez was I as annoying as he is when I was drinking???"  Everyday I am sober I know is a day I won't regret.
I am going on day 5 w/o trams and so far the wd's havent been bad. No restless leg, diareah,  etc. Just freakin no motivation to do anything. I have managed to get some exercise 4 out of 5 of those days, plus taking the amino acids which I guess is helping me but today my neck really hurts, i think its just muscular but I have been in three car accidents that were pretty bad and never had any x- rays done?
I got home after working out and running some errands and got My daughter to sleep and looked at the house. It's a wreck and I have no motivation to clean so that little voice says 'you can take one pill, feel better and get a lot accomplished and go back to not using' What a lie!  This drug is very hard mentally to conquer but I am determined to not have it run my life anymore. I encourage all of you on this long road to recovery we all face.  I am so grateful to find a place to confide in and know I am not going to be judged. Thank you all for listening.  Keep working at it and we will win this battle.
You all are in my prayers
annie
Annie, Congrats on day 5!!!!
Did you taper before going off them?
d
I'd like to join in....I need all the help I can get. Maybe I can help someone else on the way to sobriety. God bless us all!
How many are you currently taking?
Please refrain from posting this type of negativity.  sara
You are so clueless ----  and possibly a sick individual yourself.....
Well, from my question above...which is harder to quit...cold turkey opiates hydros, oxy's, perc...etc or tramadol.......all of you say that tamadol is harder. And Pan...you said that you "wish you only had a hydro problem.." instead of tramadol...

This is the part I dont get. I am now on Day 30 cold turkey from 18-20 Hydros a day.

To me...if someone wants to get a high or buzz.....wouldnt 15 tramadol be equal to 1 hydro???

If tramadol is harder to quit that hyrdo's cold turkey...then how come people dont switch to tramadol...to hydros...then cold turkey the hydros...??

This is the part I dont understand about tramadol...and maybe never will....since I have only taken them for 1-2 days...and did nothing for me.....and my real issue is what I was taking...and what was destroying my life...18-20 hydro's a day...even just to function. I just dont see tramadol having that type of devesating effect as hydros, oxy's, percs..etc..

Avisg and GTMI helped me understand somewhat...but it still makes no sense...why would people take tramadol...that does not effect you like hydros....but yet is much harder to quit than hydros..?

God Bless You all.
Todd
It's really not a big deal at all, to take more than planned I mean.  You are doing Great regardless.  I mean 5-6 a day!  Wow, that is sooo good.  I can't wait to get down there with you.  You just keep doing what you are doing.
You have to saturate your system in Tramadol before it really does what it's meant to do.  You where never on them.  Taking a dose here or there is going to do little to nothing.  I do plan on going to hydros for about a week or so...after I taper down to 1 Tram a day and jump off.  Like I said, you really have to take about 8-12 a day for a couple years or so to understand where a lot of us is coming from.  And pray you never do.
According to my husbands doctor they are just a little stronger than asprin from todays visit :rollingeyes:
I am glad though you have the feelings you do toward the drug.  Good chance you will never have a problem with them.  But I did, at one point in time, have almost the exact same feelings towards Tramadol as you do now.  My mom and I use to call the Tramadols the Little ones And the Hydros the Big ones.  And really Tramadol lasts much much longer than hydrocodone, 8 hours or so.  Hydros work maybe 2-3 hours or so.  1 Tramadol would be equal to about 20 mg of hydrocodone.  Really though, bottom line is, you should have NO Opinion on Tramadol at all.  Don't take that the wrong way.  You never gave it a chance to become addicted to it.  You have to take it daily for a couple weeks or so before it does what Tramadol does.  But don't!
That's great.  I hope everything goes well and you stay free and clean from pills.  I too will be there soon!  :)  
Well...I guess that would make sense, on what your saying....and using hydro's for a week or so...but how are you going to keep yourself from enjoying the "hydro buzz" and not stay on the hydros..??

So...your actually doing the opposite of what alot of people tend to do...it seems like people take tramadol after getting off of methadone...or sub treatment...or sometimes opiatse......Since thats how you got hooked on the amont off tramadol your tapering from...your going to take opiates for a week or so...to get off tramadol....when it seems like everyone has got hooked on tramadol...from doing just the opposite.....am I right?

It sounds like it would be better to either only take very rarely (if they do work for pain with anyone)....or not to take them at all....after quitting opiates, methadone or sub treatment...

It just amazes me...that tramadol has this type of effect on some people....but I guess its like you said..."you have to saturate your body in them 8-12 a day...for a couple years, where one would have to actually taper off the trams...I also read, that you can NOT cold turkey this medication...due to risk of siezures. Also..one more thing, I have heard tramadol has a "anti-deppressant" in also...and that others should not take tramadol and anti-deppressents..?  It would make even more since, on why you would have to taper off the tramadol..

Anyway..thanks again, I am learning more and more!
God Bless,
Todd
Tramadol is probably about half as strong as Hydrocodones but Twice as Dangerous!  That's a perfect statement!  
But the thing is I really don't like Hydrocodone any more.  I do once in a Blue Moon, take a dose.  I have control of that drug.  I plan to depend more on vitamins and Valium and Ambien.  I plan to do very little hydrocodone anyways, as little as pos.  You can't cold turkey not just because of seizures...but Death.  Just don't ever let yourself get deep into Trams, that's all.  Take everyones word for it.
I don't know if you ever had a panic attack.  Severe, accute, anxiety!  But they are Serious.  They make you feel like you are dying, literally.  I never felt like I was DYING from hydrocodone withdrawals.  Hydrocodone withdrawals are mild to me.  No panic attacks!  But coming off Trams, you are assured Panic Attacks, and Lots and Lots of them.
I'm starting a New THREAD!   "Quitting Tramadol (Support Group) 2"

...this one is getting full!
todd  I never took more then the maximum dose . you cant really compare the tram against hyro .I will tell you this I got a lot more pain relief from tramadol then hydro.
Thanks for the info!

Avisg...Your right, I cant compare tramadol to hydros....especially if I am a addict to hydros....and I dont think I want to experience any w/d's from tramadol...if it's supposed to be worse than hydro's..!!!

It is funny that you said that though..because when I took them for 2 days about 24 days or so ago...I never noticed a head change at all...but it did help my knee pain...but then when I posted about it..you and GTMI....commented alot on it, so I stopped taking it...it's almost seems like getting addicted to 800IBU in a sense to me....but as much as I have read...is enough to keep in check...LOL

Thanks again!
Love,
Todd
Comparing Tramadol to 800IBU and Tylenol is such an UNeducated statement.  And I actually find it annoying and slightly offensive.  So please stop trying to make that comparison.  Really, you have Never done Tramadol.  Period.  You know nothing about it.  I don't go to heroin addict threads and start saying...I don't understand.  I take heroin and it's like drinking coffee to me!  It's just plain ignorant, Please xcuse the language.  (but it is in the dictionary)  I can't think of a better word.
Sorry if I offended you when I asked which was harder to quit, the Hydros or Tramadol..

I have heard of people that only take 3-4 tramadol a day, and that it helps them with pain, and they get no buzz or head change from it...but after a couple years, they found it hard to come off just a 3-4 a day..

I was just asking you, because of your self experience that has been on both hydros and tramadol......Only so I dont make a mistake, and think tramadol is okay and "non-addicitve" for me to take at 3-4 in the future....Thats why I was asking about your experience, and telling you about mine....

I dont want to make a mistake with tramadol and your post was titled for it....., and I am sorry that I upset you, or offended you in anyway...I am truly sorry, just thought you would help...being addicted to both.

I just wanted to say I am sorry, and I wont ask any more questions on your tramadol posts..this one or number 2.

God Bless,
Love,
Todd
I would hate to think 800IBU ibu causing me this much trouble it makes me feel really stupid:(  I started on hydro percacets and vicaden and much preferd the tramadol because it lasted alot longer and was less trouble to get. I am not a chemist but belittling the strength and effects of the drug compared to hydro is not supportive to the ppl who are struggling w/ it if it was just like tylenol they wouldn't be here.
You did not offend me when you asked which was harder to quit.  It's just slightly offensive when you compare Tramadol to Tylenol or 800mg ibuprofen.  That is all I was saying.  
You are more than welcome in my threads, I have no problem with that.  You are strong willed person who quit hydrocodone and been clean over a month now.  Good pos vibes for you to be here.  I like your questions, like I said they are good questions.  I just would rather you not make that comparison.  But I am very happy that you have met success and are clean and free again, that's strong.  But the real trick is staying that way.  And I really hope you do, and I really hope you never get caught up in Tramadol.  I mean that for real.  So just stay away from the beginning.  You wanna relapse some day, go back to your hydrocodones. I of course hope that don't happen.
I have quit tramadol for 2 months, and this is the third or fourth time.  This time I say it is for good, because I am 48 and worried about my kidneys, liver, heart, and other internal organs in my old age.  I do not know if my chest pains were from the tramadol, but I really believe my liver and kidneys were damaged during the time I was taking tramadol.  Hopefully, everything will still bounce back.

The worst part was the fidgetyness for about 10 days, not being able to sleep, night sweats, and restless leg syndrome.  Now the symptoms are gone, but I have gained 8-10 pounds.  I loved the appetite suppressant effect of tramadol, as well as being able to get so much done with such a positive attitude.  Now I am just trying to find a way to suppress appetite and stay motivated during the day.  Life is not as "fun" and I am not this fake positive person I used to be.  Reality is not as fun.  I am sticking to quitting, just mostly don't want to keep gaining weight.
Any suggestions for the appetite and the blah attitude?  It's very unproductive and I don't like the person I am.  But I promise myself I will never go back to the trams.
I am currently on tramadol because I have back pain, arthritis, bursitis and well an addiction :(
I need to stop because i have three beautiful children and an amazing husband who need a sober mommy/wife. I have only taken 8 today. My highest has been 12. I have 60 left and that's for 20 days. I have to be clean in 20 days because that's the end of my refills and I don't have insurance after today. I pray to God I can do this.
been on tram 50g for a year now only got up 2 3 pills maybe sometimes 4 a day, i have tried to quit and even forgotten them on trips and had to hunt a pharmacy down because i was in such terrible withdrawls. my lat pill was yesterday am. i slept ok doc me ativan and i took 2 soma. today not doing so well getting ansty creepy crawly skin very agitated tired weak laethargic...its awful i hate it. and i have 3 boys running oaround i dont know ho i am giong to get thru this. i have NO trams in the house so i guess i have to this time!! how long will this last:(
I mentioned a tram group.  It is in the post just above yours.  Click the link!
Iam taking 6 a day but now iam going cold Turkey! I have celxa 20 mg and buspar to help I hoping it will do the job
What is the Thomas recipe?? I really want to get off tramadol but am afraid of the withdrawls. What also scares me is living life WITHOUT a pill to get me thru the pain I have every day... I have battled depression all my life and taking pills like the trams helps my mood, which I know is not healthy for me. Right now I am only taking 5 to 8 trams a day and I am almost out of them so I start tapering down until I am completely out of tram. I have done it this way and it has worked for me in the past to where I felt no w/d symptoms. I just feel trapped
Hi i am on day 5 of coming off tramadol, i was on 8 a day 4 months a go. I was told to take them,to help with pain. it has been hard, but i am going to keep going. I cut down a pill each week, my last was 50 grams pill.
hi am julie i have been addicted to tramadol for 7years i was on 20 a day am now down to 2in the morning and 2 at night i am proud of mysel but am so scared to come off the last four i tried just stopping when i was only taking two a day 6years ago and omg it was worse than coming off of heroin i managed to come off a heroin with cannibis buckets and a few vallys when i was 17 i am 30 now  imy doctor reffered me to a phychitrist who sent me away saying he could not help me untill i got off the tramadol i have spent years being told that tramadol withdrawels are phycological which with a little bit a reserch i know now is rubbish i went to drugs missuse i have been to 2 appointments and they want 2 more urine tests off me then want to start me on methadone the problem is i dont want methadone my brother has battled to come off it for years i have tried tapering down but when i have an appointment or i have to go to parents evening i end up taking more to get me throu it it like gives me a false confidence i have 4 kids aged 12 11 9 and 6 they dont know am on tramadol and i really dont like the idea of taking them to chemists everyday in the holidays i just dont know what to do i did have a horrific child hood but i know there is always someone out there who have had worse i am ready now to speak about my past i really want to move on with my life and not rely on a drug to get me throu it but i really cant cope without them i cant conversate anm like a reclouse without them iwhen i dont take enough i am so tired and got no motivation i know am depressed but i am depressed because i want off tramadol i want to talk about my child hood i am ready to put it all behind me but i cant without getting it all out 1st the drugs misuse have said that methadone is all they can offer me and if i dont want that then they cant help me they will write bk to my doctor and it will b up to him wither he keeps me on tramadol or not i too was buying them off the internet and the streets i just want an easy option i really believe if i got help to deal with my past i could maybe over come this addiction because of my past my confidence has really suffered if i got put on like  a confidence building course or phycjo therepy or something i could maybe achive getting off tramadol i have had addictions from 13years old one after the other from gambling to drugs to drink its just so tuff my question is  if my mum took my kids for a week and i got zopliclone sleeping tabs from doctor would it be safe to cold turkey from them people who have wrote about seisures have scared me cuz my mum and dad are epelectic  i have ashma too i really dont want another drug another addiction i just want to be me whoever me is i want to be the person i am on tramadol but without tramadol plz help me am desperate i just feel like there is no help out there i know methadone has been a sucess with alot of people but i know mysel i have an addictive personality it will just be another drug i get addicted to for years i am 30 year old av started college which means i have to face people everyday and that was part of the reason i got addicted cuz tramadol helped me face the world i couldnt even leave the house before i started taking them plz plz plz somebody help
how much would i be to go into rehab for a week or 2 x
Hi Julia. Please drop this into the "Search MedHelp" bar at the top:

Tramadol Ultram Withdrawal Recovery Room Part 54

For a Tramadol-specific discussion. I hope this helps!
thank u ben ur a star xx
glad to help Julie (sorry about the previous mis-spelling)
I
OH YES JULIA LOL XX
I got introduced to tramadol by an ex boyfriend who at the time i didnt realize had addiction problems. He got his hands on the trams when he discovered they were over the counter and cheap! They even have generic ones that are ridiculously cheap. Little did i know, from someone who didnt know you could get high off pain killers, i'd be here right now. Lying, fiending, and sneaking. I lie to the people around me and say its for my bead ache.

The pharmacist once asked me coz i was buying so many already what it was for with a sly grin, i didnt realize i had good acting skills and kept a straight face and said it was for my grandma. Poor grandma, may she rest in peace.

This one time at an upper scaled pharmacy the manager looks at me weird and asked me wbo was taking it. I said i had hurt my. BAck surfing and my doc recommended it to me. And she warned me it was addicting. Again with me acting skills. I am disgusted wih myself. Its been on and off the trams for about 8 years i think. Longest i quit was about 2 months! I would slip back into it if i was lhaving problems or bad days. For about 7 years i would get really really high from just ONE 50mg pill. My frame is very small and would be considered as petite to maybe that would explain it. The most i would do was 2-3 but not more.

Lately, for the past 2 months my dosage has been about 6-7 or 8 50mg pills a day! Lying scheming and manipulating.  My fiance has no idea. He was aware of it before and made me promise to quit and "i did" but i get this weird thrill in trying to get some without him knowing. Even when were at the mall together ill manipullate a plan so that ill meet him somewhere so i can score some without him knowing. Gross.

What i want to know is why is it over the counter??????????? I want off it. Yesterday i had 3 pills. Im under the blanket now cold sweating and feeling sick. I want to be free of this ****. I am getting married in march and i cant keep doing this. I am worried about my liver. I used to dri k alcohol with it before. And then the lethargy is scary. Ill slip into these lucid dreams and wake up gasping for breath! This cant be good for my heart.

I have never had any drug problems. This is the first time i am writing on a support group site. Another thing i never saw myself doing. Its strangly comforting to know i am not alone. I hope people out there dont think its "ok" "coz other people do it too" its not ok. Its a disgusting habit.

Its so weird. I mever thought i would have ossues with a pain medication. :(
Tigerlily-

Can you go up to the left of this page and click on the post a question button? You can start your own thread that way and perhaps get more responses...

I don't know where you live but in the US Tramadol is not OTC,last I knew...

Post back and let us k now how we can help...
I just saw your post about seizures, and I wanted to just offer a quick word of caution-PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful with how many you are taking per day- I thought I was fine too, and I was taking 15-17 a day, and then out of nowhere, two hours before my sons 10th birthday party was supposed to start, I had a grand mal seizure in my kitchen, right in front of my three sons, ages 10, 5, and 2. The two small ones were terrified, and it was my 10 year old who called 911, and checked my breathing and my pulse. I woke up lying on my kitchen floor, my tongue bleeding and paramedics and my family standing over me. I had no idea what had just happened. When they told me, I was terrified. What if I had been driving, with my sons in the car possibly? I don't even want to think about that. I quit the tramadol that night, and that was 11 days ago. I can't begin to tell you how much better I feel now. The change is absolutely AMAZING. I have energy now, and I actually sleep well at night and feel rested in the morning. I had been on a variety of pain meds for 3 years, and getting off was not easy, but 100% the best decision I ever made. Trust me, you DO NOT want to find out what a grand mal seizure is like- please don't let it happen to you!
I thought I would throw in my experience of taking tramadol. It started about 3 years ago when a friend of mine gave me 2 to take for a headache. They made me feel sick so god only knows why I went back for more. He started to gave me strip after strip and eventually he weren't taking them anymore so when he got his repeat prescription (100 50mg tablets every 2 weeks) he gave me the full box. I knew I was addicted because I was taking them to give me that 'feel good' boost to get me through the long days at work. No denying, the evil green and yellow pills helped. I knew I shouldnt be taking these tablets and I ended up resenting my friend for giving them to me in the first place, however,  I was dependant on him for the pills. Early this year I decided to bite the bullet and go to my doctor for help. He was great with me and not judgemental in the slightest. He ptescribed me tramadol so that he could wean me off them and not have to get them off my friend. The weight was lifted... Temporarily! I took the prescribed amount and still asked my friend for more! I was driving myself crazy. 3 weeks ago I was rushed into hospital with gall stones. The worst pain I have ever felt that lasted over a week. The cruel irony was that the tramadol did NOTHING to ease the pain! I was admitted for 7 days and told myself, I will not take the tramadol when I get out. Ill use the time as rehab. I didn't. I'm now on day 18 clean and feel ok! Dont get me wrong, its been tough. Even now I get no sleep due to restless arm syndrome, runny nose, sneezing and very very tired.I am so positive and feel quite proud of myself.I prayed every night for god to make me stop. God didn't make me stop, but I truly believe that god gave me the opportunity to stop, albeit in a painful way. I hope this helps anyone with the same problem. You can overcome this. Much love <3
I feel encouraged reading your post.  I am on day 4 of quitting cold turkey and I feel horrible that I am hesistant to ask my friend who I know has some for a couple. I can't even tell my husband about it, I feel so ashamed to have let this happend.  I have brain zaps, I feel jittery, I cry, I'm scared, I constantly need to have something in my mouth Like gum and candy ( right now it's a ring pop). I want to get through this and I am so determined because I am starting up school again ( Nursing) and in the past I have been on Tramadol and with the medication and with studying it was a battle to kep my head in the books and remember what I have read and studied come testing.  Now I plan on starting up in January and I want this so bad and I am NOT going to school again being on ay kind of pain medication.  You are the only person I have reached out to and I hope hope hope in some way writing this will enable me to get through it with flying colors like you did.  Thanks. Debbie. ms_debbie2004***@****
i have been on tramadol for 4 years, i have been taking 20 pills a day for the past year or two. Gradually worked myslef up to 20, it was 8 then 12 then 16 then 20. I have not had one day in 3 years where i had not had my tramadol. i knew i was addicted but i didnt want to go through withdrawls and i was living my life feeling good everyday so why stop. thiis isnt by choice,i thought i placed an order tuesday online  but it didtn go thru. so i have no tramadol untill monday or tuedsay when it comes in mail. and my script from my doctor isnt able to refill tell wednesday.  i am on day two , this is bad, never been so depressed and anxious,diahreah, sweating alot but freezing cold. havent slept since wednesday, cant stop crying. cant explain the emptiness i feel. Now reading on here i may  have a seizure.  what can i do to ease the symptoms and prevent a seizure. no one knows about this, i am balling and my husband thinks i am pms'ing.  if you saw me you  would never think i would be a drug addict, i have a little boy who ismy life and i am trying to be a goood mom today but this  is so  hard. i have just been pacing the house  all day sweating and freezing .  i even tried getting tramadol   for mydog today  (he has had it inthe past)  i have run out of stories to tell my doctor on why i need the tramadol early.  i stole  a few vicodin  frommy mom but those didnt help.  i am desperate  but wont goto the ER.   my granpa is in hospice care and lives two hours away, i was going to drive there in the morning to get someof his pain meds.  this is insane , its not me.  i dont know what todo.  alcohol only depresses me more.  most sleepingpills dont work.  advice  please??  
oh my god i just read your post and it is me.  i feel the same.  and  am in nursing school as well.  would love to talk, i have no one totalk to either,no one knows.I am embaressed and ashamed.
Hi Cari. Welcome to the forum.. If you go to the top of the page and paste what you had wrote on your own thread you will receive more support. Just scroll up and hit post a question.. I wish you the best on your Journey. lesa
Everything hit me like a ton of bricks about 48 hours and I feel like my life will never be the same again... let me explain...

I am 25 years old. College grad, good paying job, have things together. I have been addicted to tramadol for 3-4 years now. It started in college by just messing around with painkillers now and then. It started with my roommate at the time having his wisdom teeth pulled which means we had a week supply of hydrocodeine. We used every day until it was all gone for about 5-7 straight days. At the end of those days, I went through 2 days worth of withdrawal symptoms, could barely sleep, restless leg syndrome, the basic. It scared the crap out of me, after just ONE week of using hydrocodeine, and I swore to never do it again.

Well stupid me, I wanted to go back for more, problem is that you can't readily get hydro codeine without breaking the law. It was at this point that a  friend came to me and let me know he had something called Tramadol that might do the same thing. he gave me a few and I decided to try it. I loved it and proceeded to get the rest of his bottle from him. Once this was up, I discovered that Tramadol could be found online without a prescription, "jackpot" I thought to myself! Wrong.

It is now about 3.5 years later and I take 15-18 50 mg pills of tramadol a day. EVERY single day. My greatest panic attacks come when I realize i am getting low and my next order might not be here in time. Well everthing came to a head at about 3 am on the night of December 30th... i had a panic attack, I felt worthless towards my family, my friends, and felt like an utter loser. I swore off tramadol then and there, I took my last pill at 1 am. Yeah right...

The next day was ok, by 3 year withdrawal standards, the day went by SLOW, I was achey (achy), depressed, and felt so low about myself... I got about 19 hours into it and gave in. I took 4 pills (my typical dosage). I then took 4 more pills a little later and 4 more pills a little later just so I could sleep. That put my at 12 pills on the day, well below my typical day prior to that. I realized I wouldn't be able to break this addiction cold turkey, I would need to taper down. I am so TIRED of this addiction ruling my life. I was up to probably about 450-500 pills a month, which cost money and I was a slave to my pills.

Even though I gave back into tramadol a mere 19 hours in... I still feel the depression i felt when I had nothing in my system yesterday. Could this be the effects of tapering down? It is my understanding that Tramadol has an "anti-depressant" quality to it which makes you feel good and when you remove this, part of tramadol withdrawal is depression and anxiety. That was by far worse than the physical discomfort I was feeling...

I want to break this... I will break this but I'm terribly scared... I have a very loving family who means the world to me. My mom and dad are two of the most supportive people I know but I don't want to go to them with this because it would be such a shock and disappointment to them. I would break my mom's heart and put a world of hurt and worry on her which she does not deserve to have. As I sit here and write this I feel very hopeless... what do i do? I am going to beat this. I need advice, support, anything, please! What is the best way to taper down on this after 3 years of abuse? The mental anguish is the worst part, I feel worthless to my family and I am  scared to do this on my own but I know it would not be fair to put this on them as well. Thank you all for your support....
Please somebody.... help!
I been on tramodol for eight years 300mg a day I have stoped five days ago, can anyone help me and tell how long is this withdrawl (withdrawal)? When will I have energy again and be able to go to sleep at night and lose this swooshing sound in my ears?
Hi guys and gals I'm on day 3 without Trammies but I'm using hydros I had leftover from the past in order to ease withdrawals. It doesn't make logical sense to me but I've read this can be done and so I'm trying it. I can't afford to "get the flu" right now--single parent...job...little kids.

I had been taking 10+ per day for a year, I think. I managed to drop down to 8, then tried to do 5, found it possible, at least on that day. It was the next few days when I dropped down to very little that I started feathering in the hydro. It was a busy work week and I just took the bare minimum possible to function--not to feel good. Day one I took half a hydro and 1.5 Trams. The next day I tried taking no Trams and it worked...with 1.5 hydros (these are 5/500s, by the way. Now on that night I really couldn't sleep and I took way too many Unisoms (Benadryl) trying to do so. The following day I did the same during the day but at night I took a hydro to sleep. So that day was 2.5 hydros, no Trams. Today is Saturday and I've had a very lazy day and have gotten by with 1 hydro. I'll probably need one to sleep, though Ill try to get by with half.

One more thing: once I was 36 hours since the last T, I started Zoloft and Wellbutrin. I don't know if I really need to do this, though.

Basically my philosophy is this: I know how to get off antidepressants and hydros. To do both at once would royally suck, though. I'd like to quit the hydro first (and stay at the lowest dose possible) and then the ADs. Divide and conquer!
So I am trying to quit tramadol iv been a addicted to it for over a year now. I don't know how it happened I started taking it for migraines and iv always had horrible depression and anxioty so when I take it it calms me down gives me peace and I had a rough childhood with my mother abandoning me at the age of 8 years old. I liked the way it numbed me to not feel any emotions. I am taking 8 pills a day and this is a big step for me because this is the first time iv ever admitted to having a problem iv tried to stop before but I have no support system no one nos about my addiction iv kept it hidden very well however I just started therepy today but have not told them about my addiction for fear of it going on my medical record. I don't want to be this dependent on something anymore. I withdrew once a few months ago and it was torture I only stayed clean about 2 weeks befor I relapsed. The worst part was the cold sweats by far followed by the chronic insomnia. Does anyone have any tips on the best way to tapper off this horrible drug so I don't have those? I really want to focas on getting my life back in control but since I have no support I was hoping I could get a little advice idk what to do I just want my life back.
I have been taking tramadol for about 8 years now. I started taking it for lower back pain (arthritis). The way it started is that I would just take the prescribed dose- 4- 50mg/day but I liked the way it made me feel so started taking more and more gradually up to about 12 pills a day. Now it's getting harder to get it off the internet and the price is going up so I really want to stop taking this but am scared to death about the withdrawals. I am 55 years old and just finished up nursing school. I have not been able to find a job yet and this addiction could be why. My doctor told me that the withdrawals from this would not be anywhere near as bad as other drugs such as vicodin. I have no medical insurance so I can't just run to the doctor all the time. I go in once a year for a script but it is never enough.I need some serious help as to what to do.
Iv been taking 12 tramadol for the past year every day and maybe more sum days wats te best way to detox and is there any medication I can take to ease the withdrawals please help
Hello!

I so feel for you. There is hope--you can get off the nasty Tramadol. There is a lot of support on medhelp, but it looks like this room gets visited less frequently, and slows down on the weekends. If you  have not done so, you may also want to post in the Addiction: Substance Abuse forum.

I posted above you a few weeks ago that I was stopping using hydrocodone, and what my general philosophy of quitting was. I wanted to update my quitting experience in case it helps anyone. I have not taken a Tramadol since Jan. 9 (thought it was the 10th but I see above it must have been the 9th). I used a small amount of hydrocodone (Vicodin) daily for 16 days after quitting the Tramadol, then when the timing felt right I successfully quit the hydrocodone without tapering. I tried to take as little as possible of the hydro, just to keep the worst of the WDs at bay so I could function. I'm a working single parent of two little children. I can't drop any balls. Otherwise I would have tried just tapering off the Tramadol and stopping it. I read enough nightmares about doing that that I was terrified to do it. I'm glad I didn't do it that way, but for some, it works, and the horrid WDs probably help keep them away from the Tramadol forever. I wasn't particularly fond of the way it made me feel...just ended up having trouble stopping it. So I'm not worried I'll go back to it, no matter how easy it is to quit. I just wanted OFF.

By the way, I too was nudged by the change in laws in 2013 that made it harder to order Tramadol online. I am thankful for this--beyond thankful. I HATE Tramadol and the hold it had on me and have been wanting to quit for a long time. My plan was to wait until I could take a week off and the kids would be with their dad's family...half a year away. Now it's done and I'm so grateful.

Anyway, the hydro thing worked for me, and I've also heard of people using Kratom, the plant derivatives of which can be ordered online. It acts  kind of like an opiate but isn't really one. It is, however, supposedly mildly addictive in its own right, so neither of these quitting aids should be taken any longer than necessary.

For me, I felt like during the 16 days I was off Tramadol but still taking hydro, I suffered the worst of the withdrawals. I was well aware that although I was taking on average 10 mg of hydrocodone a day, it was only keeping the WORST at bay. That made me feel good, as I knew I was working toward something, not just swapping evils. On this small amount of hydro I could function really well during the day, it was only nights that were hard. And they were. I'm not going to candy coat it. BUT I  never went a full night without sleep. Eventually I dropped off.

The worst, I agree, are the chills and sweats. Man...I soaked the bed every night before sun-up.  I had to make up thyroid stuff to blame it on. My poor boyfriend never had a clue what I was (am kind of still) going through. Last night I had a moment when I thought I should just tell him, especially now when I can claim triumph. But it's really embarrassing for me. Still, maybe I will...I am still rather flat emotionally and still trying to wake up my brain. The poor thing is just plum out of dopamine and serotonin. Oh--I gave up taking those antidepressants I mentioned...I thought it premature and found I could do without them. I DO take Rhodiola rosea (a natural supplement said to do all kinds of cool things for your brain and body) and Sam-E.

I have also relied heavily on the OTC products recommended in the Thomas Recipe for Detox. If you Google it and find the one that suggests Benzos, just mentally swap Melotonin, Valerian root, or Unisom for the Benzos. They won't knock you out as well but Benzos are very, very addicting and problematic/dangerous to stop. Since Tramadol withdrawals last long enough for that to become its own problem, it is wise to avoid those. It's also wise to avoid hydros or Kratom, but for some, those things may be the kindler, gentler (and ultimately effective) way. I was able to use the hydros because I had them left over from before...but of course not everyone can go that route.

Some things you  might consider asking your doctor about:

I've heard of using Neurontin, and there's a study that shows promise using the anti-convulsant drug Oxcarbazepine (Trileptal). I've read anecdotal reports by people who were coincidentally put on either of those at the time of stopping, who were very surprised to find their Tramadol withdrawals mild or nonexistent.

Clonodine is the ol' faithful of opiate withdrawal, and I believe it can help Tramadol WDs, too.
Oh--and best of luck to anyone stopping Tramadol. Don't let the horror stories scare you, just do your homework and research but know that you may find yourself astonished at how relatively easy it was, once you put your plan in effect.

If you are a female who gets a monthly cycle, I can say that I feel that it is worked for me to quit both the Tramadol and the hydro some time other than PMS. Right after my period worked best for me--I was the most chipper and had more in my emotional reserves. We don't always get to choose our timing but if you can, you may consider this.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/19/us.online.pharmacies.probe/index.html

Interesting
My name is John and this is my shortened story.

I have been taking tramadol for about 15 years!  It all started as an adjunct to Lortab because of some abdominal pain I began to experience circa 1996.  I was consistently told by my PC, “It’s just a bad case of IBS”.  It wasn’t until I was in the ER for the 3rd time in 7 month with extreme abdominal pain, fever, diarrhea and vomiting when it was determined, not by any ER doctor, but a specialist they called down; which took 4 hours for him to arrive from an office 3 floors up.  I ended up getting a colon resection 3 years later from my “phantom” pain, which turned out to be diverticulitis, which just wouldn’t heal.  I should have sued someone for mal-practice!  I may have saved my colon!

That is how I got started on it.  It then became my Rx of choice for my kidney stones, which flow thru me like water.  I also used it for my arthritis, and so it went.

I grew “immune” to the lower amounts and so it followed I increased the doses.  At my peak I was taking between 35 & 40 50mg a day.  I could not wean myself at all, the psychological issue being the strongest pull!

I finally reached the end of my rope, and was able to get detox help from the VA, although this is my 3 try.  The home support medication is soooo important, and that is a difficult understanding to get thru to these doctors who are suppose to be specialists with addictions.  I also got the impression these doctors haven’t dealt with a tramadol addicted patient before and, therefore, were using opiate withdrawal protocol, which isn’t sufficient; if tramadol is used for methadone withdrawal, then doesn’t if follow that tramadol will be a very difficult withdrawal experience?  This is a most underrated and misunderstood drug from which to withdrawal, and I hope these sites, further studies and these testimonials will begin to have an impact for future withdrawal support and assistance!

My first 2 experiences with detox at the VA was the use of Adavan & clonidine.  My 3rd try used a clonidine patch and the tapering off of tramadol over 5 days.  But I have learned that it will take a minimum of 10 days of the 3rd experience to help defend against the psychological backlashes of the withdrawal symptoms of tramadol.

After being “free” from tramadol for an appropriate amount of time, then maybe the introduction of anti-depressants would be contraindicated.  

This is a withdrawal subject matter, which is in its infancy, and obviously needs A LOT of continued study to achieve the best withdrawal results.
Hello John and welcome - I am SO glad you found us!  I personally had a 15 year "love/hate affair" with Tramadol myself and am right now at about 3 months clean!  Our stories are really similar in timing, reason for starting (medical problem) and the dosage amounts.  I was initially prescribed Tram for back pain (w/the understanding that it was NOT addictive and NON narcotic - what a joke).  It turned me in to Super Mom, Super Wife, Super Everything . . . for a couple of years. It was never really a great pain reliever per say; keeping myself fit, injections and physical therapy worked just as well, but by that time I was addicted anyway, so it did not matter.  Over the years my interest in all of the above "super" categories declined as my tolerance for the Tram went up and I took more and more, and it became the focus of my life.  I pretty much lost 10 years to this drug, during which time I had 4 seizures (all from overdoses), lost interest in things I loved, including friends, control of my home and finances and gave up a 25 year legal career - just didn't care anymore.  All of this and I still kept taking it.  I did detox from it a few times in the later years, and once even made it to 47 days clean; but always ended up relapsing.

About 2 years ago my upper back/neck problems escalated & I ended up having cervical fusion last summer.  For a few weeks before and after the surgery I was on such heavy opiates I barely remember it all (maybe good in some ways!).  One huge negative however was the fact that because my opiate tolerance was SO high (due to years of Tram use), they could not control my pain afterward . . . it was like I felt every single movement in my neck for a few days after.  Anyway, within a week or so I weaned down (w/out any major problems or w/d affects) off all of the "heavy" stuff and was back to just my good old Tramadol.  

Because I would run out of pills from my legit dr. scripts, I started ordering online off and on for the last few years.  In late November and order I had placed did not ship.  I was stuck with only a few pills and NO way to get more for at least 5 days.  So I just did it.  In about 5 days I will be 100 days clean!!!  I was taking up to 45 - 50 pills a day at that point.  There is NO way I would NOT have died had I kept it up at the rate I was going.

So - I agree 100% that this drug is one of the more dangerous out there - period.  And even to this day it is still being prescribed as non-habit forming, and without full disclosure about the anti-depressant nature.  Unfortunately it is people like us who have to live it to learn it.  

In the meantime, you are planning to taper again?  I think that is the best way and have heard that the Clonidine is really helpful in w/d.  It sounds like you know what to do and how to go about it.  I DO agree that the emotional/depression issue does need to be addressed once detox is complete.  Whether it is w/AD meds, therapy, natural supplements - any or all of the above; whatever works best for you.  Without the aftercare and support the chances of staying clean are minimal.

You will find a lot of support here and many others that have been through or are currently battling the Tram devil.  Please keep posting your progress and good luck . . . . you KNOW you can do this!

Julie
Oh, and because this is such an old post it may not get the new attention it warrants.  To start a new thread just click on "post a question" above and it will start a new one.
I'm sitting here, reading this stuff, and freaking totally! I just recently realized I'm addicted to tramadol and i don't know what to do. How do I start tapering off this stuff? I was prescribed this for my fibromyalgia for breakthrough pain when my Lyrica wasn't enough. For the last few months I've progressively been abusing it and taking tripple my prescribed dosage. I'm up to taking 6 (50mg) pills first, then taking 4 more an hour later, then 4 more another hour later, then 6 more pills over the next 2 hours. So I have been essentially taking 15-20 (50mg) pills a day! I'm freaking out right now, sobbing so hard it is difficult to type this! What should I do? How can i taper off this?  Anyone? help, please!
Can you tell your doctor?  There is Clonidine and Adavan which will help with the withdrawal issues.  Tapering off slowly is also an important factor.
You will find the real issues will be psychological, so see a therapist if at all possible while detoxing.  

If you are a veteran then go to the VA ER with a copy of your DD214 and they will take good care of your detoxing.
I have been taking 2-5 50mg tramadol a day for close to a year. For the longest time I had convinced myself I was not addicted (my husband takes 6-8 a day). I decided to quit cold turkey one day when about 20 minutes after taking them I began throwing up and continued to throw up the rest of the day. The next day was pure hell. I was extremely achy and I felt like if I got up for more than a minute or two I needed to lay back down. That night the insomnia started. I only slept maybe 2 hours.

Day 2 I forced myself to eat and shower. I managed to get out of the house but I still did not feel like myself. I was very tired but trying to sleep was useless. That night I once again only got about 2 hours of sleep.

Day 3 I began to feel better. I went out to breakfast (what else is there to do when you can't sleep) and went shopping for a little while. It was the day before Easter so I went to an Easter party and I really felt ok.

Day 4 was Easter and after running around getting my 2 and 3 year old daughters ready and going to more parties I caved. I took 2 pills. I figured I would be ok and I wouldn't have to go through the horrible withdrawal again. I was wrong. I actually slept that night but i was going to pay for it.

The next day was my daughters 4th birthday. I felt ok until the afternoon which is when I typically took the pills. We went to Chuck E. Cheese and I was miserable. I was freezing with 2 jackets on and I just wanted to sit in the booth and stare off into space the whole time. I could not control my body temp. I was either hot or freezing the whole time and I couldn't even enjoy my daughter's birthday.

Day 6 I felt just like I had on day 2. I was a little better but I still did not feel like myself. I still had very little energy.

Today is day 7. I did not sleep once again last night. I feel like I have some energy and I can get some things done (my house is a wreck after not having the energy to clean for a week). I have had a chest cold pretty much this whole time and I am going to the doctor for it tomorrow. I am still struggling on whether or not to tell my doctor about the tramadol. It angers me everyday that I would let this drug have such a strong hold on my life. I know I will soon feel better and I need to keep a positive outlook.

My biggest worry now is my husband. He works 48 hours a week. I don't work. He can't afford to feel the way I have felt. Does weening really work? If not his whole vacation in 2 months is going to be spent withdrawling from tramadol. I just wish I could help him. He sees what I am going through and it scares the **** out of him. We both know we can't depend on pills our whole life, mostly for our daughters' sake. I just wish we never would have started in the first place.
Hello and welcome to the forum.  Congrats on getting to day 7 - you got this; just hang in there.  You will start feeling better very soon.   First I just want to suggest that you copy & paste your post, scroll up to the top and click "post a question".  This will start a new thread and you will get more responses and support from other members.

In my opinion - YES, you should talk to your dr. about this tomorrow.  I know it is frustrating and scary to open up about it, but that is the best way.  There are so many of us that began taking this med believing it to be non-addictive and without the information about it's anti-depressant affect.  I think there are some dr's out there that are still prescribing it as such because they truly don't know.  This is what we can do to help "educate" them.  IMO I would go in there and (respectfully) lay it all out - tell him your story and how hard it has been for you to get off them.  Tell him about what you have learned about this med from reading the stories of others that have struggled as well.  Do NOT feel ashamed or embarrassed in any way - you did NOT choose for this to happen.  

You have a very legit concern about your husband too.  As far as tapering, yes it can be done and it can be done successfully.  Regarding an actual taper schedule, we are not allowed to advise on these here (for safety reasons).  That is another thing to ask the dr. about (is he your husband's dr. as well?).  There are also rx meds that can help a lot with w/d's.  The decision of how he is going to do this is personal.  It will difficult for you to have the pills around while he tapers - once you are clean, any pills in the house are going to be a constant threat to your sobriety.  There are a lot of things to think about here.  The most important fact is that you both want OFF them.  It can be done.  My personal experience is explained in the post above.  Again, please copy and paste your post (or you can re-write part or all of it) to open a new thread.  There are so many members here with personal experience that can help with information and support to get you through this.  You can also send me a personal message any time.  You can do this . . . . please stay strong too - you have made incredible progress!  
Julie
I hope someone is still here. I am on my second day of withdrawal from tramadol. You all know the symptoms, I don't have to describe I'm sure.So far today I've taken two aspirin, two Tylenol, 8 mg. of Zofran. I am not feeling as bad as I was when I woke up.

A neighbor (who of course thinks I have a bug) is going to bring me back some night time Thera Flu to drink. That always seems to help when I have the achies. I know that any "daytime" anything right now would probably make me junk right out of my skin.
Hi I am new to this. I have been taking tramodol for 4 years now and have tried to come off them countless times. I have done it as we'll but always gone back after a month. Now I have been taking 25 to 30 tablets 50mg a day and the great feeling they used to give me and the energy has all gone. Now I can't be bothered all the time. They make me feel crap now. The way I quit in the past was I took 2 weeks off. Work I explained to my partner how I was gona be feeling and told her to go easy on me with the kids and the housework. She totally understood. Stay in the house Ll that time and just chill out as much as you can. I need help stopping this time. I am in a bad way. I do not eat I have no appetite. I am miserable. I am thinking about seeing the doctor and getting some antidepressants and then comeing off the tramodol cold turkey again
Really enjoyed your comment, I'm 53 and have been taking tramadol for over a year. The withdrawals are terrible, I have only managed three to four daysmax before I'm back at it. It gives me energy, and I engage with everyone, always upbeat and definitely lost weight. The depression and anxiety are the worst when I try to detox. Today was the first time I felt it was necessary to find a support group on line.
Hi there - I have been taking tram for about a year now. Was at about 6-8 per day (at one point was at 10). I have used my last refill and decided this is it. I can't do it anymore. No one knows, so I'm having to do this secretly - hiding any symptoms that may come.

I cut it down to 4 a day for a week, then 3/day for one week. I had 2 a day for 3 days, and I only have 2 pills left....I've decided to take one today, half tomorrow, 1/4 Wednesday and 1/4 Thursday.

So far - NO W/D!

However, I have been supplementing with the following:
Started taking Gabapentin 300mg about 2 weeks ago (not religiously, lol, only remembered in the mornings - however, not it's morning and night since I'm so low on tram)
Buspirone 15mg/AM for 1-2 weeks increasing to 30mg/AM and 15mg/PM

Vitamin list! Totally made a difference!
AM TIME:
Fish oil - triple strength
Super B Complex
B6
Iron
One-A-Day Multivitamin

PM (Around 9PM as it works fast)
Magnesium - Maximum strength (Relax and RLS help!)
Melatonin - 10mg

The vitamin regiment started about 3 days ago, and I haven't seen ANY w/d symptoms!

Will follow up on with how I am on Friday - Hopefully completely done and feeling great! :)

Praying for all and hoping for a speedy "recovery"!

Christy