Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Rapid Detox

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Rapid Detox

Hi everyone,
I'm reading your stories and my heart goes out to you.  My son become addicted to opiates at around age 17.  I thought I knew him well and was paying attention, but he hid it well.  Then he hurt his knee and went to oxyconton. After wracking up huge debt, again before I knew it, at age 24 he now owes $35,000 trying to support that habit.  He told me at that point, as he was so depressed, and I helped him get onto the methadone program.  Now, reading all your comments, I wonder if that was the right thing to do.  My question is, has anyone done the rapid detox, or heard from anyone else about its success rate?  Thanks everyone,
Concerned Mom
Hi Mom & Welcome,

I have not done the rapid detox but also have not heard anything good about it. It is dangerous and I would not recommend it.

Tell us a little more about the Methadone program he is on. How long, how much? Many here have successful detoxed off of Methadone. There are a lot of good suggestions here.
hi, sunny...welcome here :)

i don't have experience with rapid detox but i have read here a couple of threads about it and i really think you should read them.

i gonna search for them....
Hi~  Yes,there have been some members who have done rapid detox. The alleged best one costs $24,000.00.   It sounds like it works as far as scubbing clean all those receptor sites. But,everyone of these folks were left feeling sick and tired and very weak.
Personally,I think it's huge shock to an already broken down body.

If he's doing okay on the methadone and in some kind of recovery care(is he?) then it's better. He could start tapering down on the methadone with help from the clinic. I hope they'll help him. Sometimes they don't.   How is he doing now?

Vicki
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for all your feedback.  Thank-you Laurel for the links to rapid detox experience.  It sounds like the Rapid Detox is a horrid way to go. Why would they allow such a treatment, if it leaves a person feeling so depressed and sick, especially since depression is the reason my son started on the drugs in the first place.  It makes sense that if all the "happiness" receptors are stripped from your brain, it would be pretty hard to not be depressed from that time forward.  

My son is taking 215mg per day.  He has been on the methadone for about 9 months now.  He was hoping for an easy, quick way to detox, but it doesn't seem like that is an option.  I think slowly weaning off would be much better. He is tired of having to go to the pharmacy every morning before work.  He has early hours, so the days he starts really early before the pharmacy opens, he has to buy extra methadone because he feels to sick to work otherwise.  He is going to a doctor next week who is supposed to specialize in helping withdrawal off methadone.

Thank-you for helping a worried mother with your comments and suggestions :)

Mom
i just read your post and wonder how your son is doing? hopefully everything is ok and the rest of this post is redundant, but i just wanted to give you my personal perspective with rapid detox. I too have heard some of these horror stories but i can only assume they didnt go to the facility i went to.I guess it all depends on where you go, i was lucky enough to go to Waismann in california ( im not sure if i can post websites but if i can its www.opiates.com). my experience was a godsend, although sure i felt crappy for a couple of days afterwards, though nowhere near as bad as the withdrawals i had from trying to quit for years!
  They not only have a fully equipped facility with trained medical professionals, but their aftercare facility was exactly what i needed..Its called Domus and they had really nice rooms ( flatscreen, privacy) and a pool and i fell in love with the jacuzzi ( perfect for how i felt). they had compassionate staff, chefs, nurse etc..i hope your sons ok but if youve been put off detox facilities you should reconsider. Like anything theres good and bad and you get what you pay for. good luck with whatever you decide!