Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Really Arthritis... Need Advice from friends

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Hello All...
Not sure if you all remember but i have complained about a lot of muscle aches and thought maybe it was PAWS.  Well its not....had blood work done on Monday and its showed positive Arthritis and high sed rate.  I have been clean and sober for 308 days and the pain recently has really been pushing my limits.  Maybe I never noticed that last few years cause of the pain meds I took.  But I am only 42, and now this crap.  My doctor started me on Meloxicam to help remove the swelling in my joints and help with the pain.  She knows full well my hx... and I know that Meloxicam is not a narcotic. Does anyone have any thoughts?  This really *****.....

Thanks!!
I would think about vitamins and dietary solutions: Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM, Omega fatty acids, like flax, cod liver, and fish oil. Avoid caffeine, carbonated water, and acid foods in general. The healthy fats lubricate joints and acid foods strip the joints of lubricant.

Strengthen muscles to take pressure off of skeletal structure and chiropractics help relieve the tension on joints. Swimming is low impact and toning.

Ibuprofen or other OTC meds can help reduce swelling and pressure.

Remember that dietary and fitness healing doesn't have an immediate improvement. It takes time for your body to heal from the damage done and adjustment to damage that cannot be repaired. I don't know about your exact circumstance, these are just a few general suggestions to get started. Talk to an OD or go to a health food store and research some more specific nutrients and foods that are appropriate to consume and avoid for your situation. Good luck and congrats on your clean time. I'm searching for alternative forms of relief as well.
My cousin has had really good results with this med and she did say it took a bit to start working.  I agree with weaver on the foods.  It does make a difference in what we eat.   You are doing great and a big HUGE congrats on your clean time~~
I agree with everyone - what we eat is SO important.  Especially as we get older.  "You are what you eat" couldn't be more true as we age.

Good luck to you!
And also meant to say I too have arthritis (OA) and the foods you eat can make a huge difference in how you're feeling.  There are a lot of recommendations to help with inflammation and pain - leafy greens and antioxidants in certain foods can help with that.  Google it and you'll find a ton of recommendations on food choices for arthritis sufferers.