Recovering Alcoholic
My son has had had anxiety for several years and is a recovering alcoholic, he has been sober for 16 months and has recently been experiencing panic attacks again, he has been taking xanex or adivan ( not together ) is it a good idea for a recovering alcoholic to take those kinds of prescription drugs? The adivan was prescribed, the hospital not knowing he is in recovery and the xanex 2 mg given to him from a friend.
Any info you can give me would be appreciated.

Thank you
I don't know much about alcohol recovery but I do know he should stay away from the xanax as it is very addicting  very quickly. Why was the ativan prescribed? If he is taking it as directed he should be fine just be very careful as it to is very addicting.maybe someone else will be able to help you more than i but i wanted to let you know that we are here
snowflake
Well ur son should know his own recovery and what is and isn't acceptable to his sit... I don;t think he should be taking anything that is not prescribed by a Dr.!!! I'm sure if a hospital prescribed the ativan than it's for a short period until he see's his primary care.. I would suggest to him that he goes to his dr. if he's having anxiety issues, I'm not recovering from alcohol but addiction is 1 in the same and it's dangerous to take anything from friends while in recovery..This is just my opinion....
Here you're going to get lots of great answers from folks who know all about xanax.

I'm a recovering alcoholic with many years without a drink. I'm now also a newly recovering vicodin addict. I took it for pain and it quickly took up space in my brain's pleasure center. I had to quickly give it up. I can't take ANYTHING that's mind altering - but just speaking for myself. I'm scared to death of xanax!! My wife has had some in her purse for years and takes it every now and then. I did some research on-line about the stuff. I'd be addicted to that stuff in a heartbeat! But again - that's me. I can't do ANYTHING in moderation!

I also tell ALL medical professionals taking care of me that I AM AN ALCOHOLIC! I'm committed to staying sober, and that's a very important part of that commitment. I go to tons of AA/NA meetings too. - but that's me.  

I have a son in recovery also. As fathers you and I have it tough.  We don't want to see our children addicted. We love them. This wasn't part of the plan when we first looked into their eyes, once they finally opened, and looked back up at us as newborns. But sometimes we need to let go, let them find their own way. Letting go is not to enable but to allow learning from natural consequences. It's not to be protective; it's to allow others the opportunity to face reality.  That was the hardest thing I ever had to do as a parent. But that was my situation, I had no choice. My son wasn't listening to me or anyone and he had to reach his own bottom.