Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Recovering Pain Pill Addict / Had to Go to ER / Soooooooo MAD At ER Doc...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

no, your smart for checking b4 taking.

are you in pain or not?
by the way.... I  HAVE NOT got the rx filled.  I wanted to check first.  Glad I didn't take their word for it.  

Recovering Pain Pill Addict / Had to Go to ER / Soooooooo MAD At ER Doc and Nurse!!!!

I Have had a history of Kidney Stones since 1994.  I've been addicted to pain pills Vicodin/Hydrocodone/  basically any kind of Opiod Pain Pill.  I've been a recovered addict for over 2 and 1/2 years now.  Quit on December 24th 2004.  I had to go to the ER last night.  I was in severe pain in my lower right abdomen.  It felt like either a kidney stone or a cyst that had ruptured on my ovary.  I told the ER triage nurse that I was a recovering opiod addict and that I only wanted torodal if I had to have pain meds intraveinously (sp?).  I also told my nurse when I got back to a room twice that I was a recovering addict and DID NOT WANT narcotic pain pills or iv's.  I ALSO informed my ER doctor that I DID NOT  want narcotic pain pills or iv's.  They gave me toradol intraveinously in the hospital, and then they gave me a prescription that the ER nurse Specifically told me WAS NOT a narcotic pain pill.    I look it up this morning online, because I had a bad feeling about it, and it IS a narcotic pain pill.  it's tramadol or ultram.   I'M SOOOO MAD!!!! Am I wrong for being mad?????
Last night I was in alot of pain, I wouldn't have gone to the ER if I hadn't been.  I hate going to the doctor, much less the ER.  I wanted to check the web to make sure that it wasn't a narcotic before I got the rx filled, if the pain came back.  
Tramadol is not particularly a bad choice for a recovering opiod addict.  Pain deserves to be treated, regardless of your history.

We have patients who are former addicts and who have C/Sections for delivery.  We do not deny them pain relief simply because they have had a problem in the past.

Yes, tramadol can be abused like any other drug.  But it has less potential for abuse than Vics or Percs.  It is ultimately your choice as to what to do about your pain.  Tear up the Rx if you don't want to use it, or give it to a trusted family member to dispense occasionally.

Toradol is great, and you can get an oral form, too.  
How did you do it? Recover from pain pills?  If I have access to them I can take up to 20 a day ... I know that it is way to many. My mind and my heart want to quit in the worst way but I CANT, my body won't let me
I volunteer as a patient advocate for the county. I recently took a homeless high school friend into the ER....39 and in liver failure due to alcholism (alcoholism). I ended up reporting the doctor to the Health Department and IPRO (Medicare). I usually deal with the elderly in nursing homes and the mental disabled. The real kicker was that I used to work at that hospital and they knew me....

I'm not saying be a big pain in the butt but you have needs and people need to listen to you.  Especially doctors....hell, I've been in pain clinics, at a major university hospital and they gave me a script for 175 Vicadin...I WASN'T taking Vicadin!

Remember, although you are in pain, you are also a paying customer. Personally, I would call the hospital and file a complaint. Although the Tramodol (sounds like peekawho is in the medical field) may be a "safer choice" they should have explained it to you not blown off your concerns. Or maybe take someone with you that can advocate for you.

That has to be a hell of a lot of pain...great job on staying on track. K...that sounds lame but you know what I mean.
Yes, they should have warned her about the abuse potential and let her decide if she wanted them or not.

Some patients do choose not to take any pain medication, even after major surgery.  

If they need pain relief, though...it should be there for them.  That's all I meant.  
I didn't know the tram was nacotic, I thought it was OK cause that's what the docs always gave me.
Tram is an "Opiod" and attaches to the same receptors in the brain.  I took it to get off vicodin and when I stopped i had muscle aches, sneezing, tummy troubles, lethargy, just like opiate withdrawal but not as bad.  I took it as directed, never took more that i should and took it for about 10 days and still had the wds.  Im not sure if it was the tram or if the tram just held the wds from vic at bay or what.
tzt
Sorry Peekawho, didn't mean to come off harsh....my own baggage. When my grandfather was in a nursing home they dropped him for a lift/scale onto the floor. He'd been in recovery for 30 years, actually ran the same AA meeting for 20yrs, and always refused pain meds. When he complained about his back that never checked it, wacked him up on a thorzine cocktail. When I asked about his behavior they told me he had beginning stages Alzheimers.

Pissed me off! Told me there was nothing wrong with him. I had them take him off all meds and do xrays. They found 2 fractured ribs. So, not only did my grandfather have to tolerate terrible pain but he also had to go through wd. All he'd wanted from the beginning someone to check his back/ribs.
Ultram (tramadol) is NOT a narcotic.  It has narcotic like properties and acts in a similar way.  You can get addicted to over time however. Look it up on the web and read about it.