Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Recovery - After care

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Recovery - After care

Hi guys I have a topic.  I'd like to hear your thoughts.  How necessary is an after-care program for continued cleaness?  Is it essential?  Can we get clean ourselves by just not using?  
Good topic.  People are gonna get ruff on this one. LOL, just watch. Ok, my opinion....
After-care PROGRAM?    N/A was not for me, I beleive in SELF-EMPOWERMENT. Iam the only one responsible for my actions and my future.  I cannot chant "Iam powerless over my addiction", because I beleive that I do have the power.    I do thought, beleive in a support system if at all possible. Family, friends and this forum is great. I do think you should think ahead on how to deal with situations that may put you at risk for relapse.
Ok, here we go.....................
Let me add, I Do think you should do whatever it takes to get clean and stay there. If that means N/A meetings, great, go for it. We're all different. If standing on your head in your driveway while whisteling Dixie works for you.... do that.
If it works for you, then it's good.
I think everyone is different. So whatever works for you. If you failed before because you had no support., you probably should find some in N/A etc..  but I'm with Magi, I feel I am totaly in charge of my addiction, no one can make me take pills and no one can stop me .....but me.  I do think it is very important that everyone have someone to talk to.
so magi how is the house cleaning coming. lol   Must go now and whistle Dixie in driveway. lolol
nice----:)  I too am having trouble admitting my 'powerlessness'  how much clean time do you have magi?  I have a disease that tells me I don't have a disease, and that I can use recreationally.  I'm having trouble with this, because there have been times in my life where I have been a functional addict.  I'm scared of this little ***** inside me that keeps telling me I can use recreationally.  I've proven I can't.  I don't know how to make her shut up w/out the program.  Also I don't know how to feel comfortable or have peace of mind w/out the program.  I never did.  I think working these steps can help me quit running from myself.  If I wasn't using drugs, I was using 'someone'  I kept trying to find something that made me feel better.  I'm tired of that... I'm ready for something else.  Sitting outside I told the sick little drug-addicted slutty jenny inside of me that I was going to kill her.  I want to be normal, I want to be a good mom, I want to make decisions that I trust and not have to worry about talking myself in and out of ****.  I need NA.  But I'm having trouble admitting my powerlessness.  Jenny 2 ****** up alot of **** for me, but there is someone else inside of me that wants to grow and shine, and it's about time I let her.  NA will give me the tools I need to combat the enemy.  My drug addicted alter-ego.  Your post brings up an interesting question.  NA isn't for everyone.  I've heard that many times.  That sentence gives Jenny 2 ammunition to destroy my life.  I'm learning how to make her shut the **** up tho.  :)  thanks for your post.  And it's ok for us to agree to disagree right?
We can definately agree to disagree. No problem.  And if N/A is what makes you recover, then N/A is the best thing in the world. Be there, get into it, DO IT.  Take those tools they teach you and use them, cherish them. Like I said, whatever works is what you should do. Do not give Jenny2 the ammunition for relapse.
I don't really think we disagree. N/A is what is helping you and thats what you need to do. You are getting what you need from N/A and they are very knowledgeble people. (can't spell) You are doing what is right for you to stay clean. So it can't be wrong.  You go girl !    Mary
cleaning? Ahhh, well, not so good if I'm typing here.
Hey, I'm on a break.