Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
(Relatively) easy methadone taper

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

(Relatively) easy methadone taper

I've been a methadone addict for about 2 yrs, illicit use, no Rx. Came off twice before cold turkey - both times off about 40-50mg/day. For those of you who've gone through it, you know...I was sicker than I've ever thought possible. No sleep for a week (literally, even after popping Ambien like candy), RLS, couldn't eat, the whole nine.

I read these boards and others obsessively both times, tried my darndest to muscle through....but I just couldn't deal with the w/d for weeks on end, and went back to using both times. I've got a family, grad school, a ft job, a dog...I can't be out of commission for weeks.

Here i am in round 3, and I'm posting because I found a method for me that's really worked. I'm tapering 2.5mg every 3 days, and am currently down to 7.5mg from 50mg - in a little over a month, with very little discomfort. I never thought this would be possible. My only symptoms have been a little anxiety, some goosebumps (but no sweats/chills like the last 2 times), and some fatigue. But I'm going to work, playing with the kids, doing all my normal activities - I'm okay. It's not terrifying and horrid like cold turkey withdrawal.

I want to make it very clear that I'm not a doctor, and am only reporting on what's worked for me this time.

A friend told me about Kratom, which is an herb with properties that can aleviate opiate/opioid withdrawal. I bought capsules (120 of them = 112g) - not the super potent extract, just regular old powdered leaf. It's legal, at least in the states. I take about 4-5g worth at a time, at most a couple times a day, and plan to taper off these when I'm done with the methadone. From what I witnessed with my buddy, the withdrawal from kratom can be unpleasant, but not nearly akin to methadone withdrawal symptoms. Most days I don't need 2 doses, only 1.\

I have read a lot of posts praising kratom for its usefulness in withdrawal, and I am so glad I tried it. This has been a very rapid taper with very minimal discomfort, and I'm not dreading being off the done for good.

My two cents - its working miracles for me. Make sure it's right for you - especially if you have addiction issues - before trying it. Coupled with the Thomas recipe, regular walks, and my family's support, I really think I'm going to make it through this. It's been surprisingly easy.

Good luck everyone...
HI I have herd of this stuff b/4 and have mixed feelings on it....not enough studys on it although I got a pritty good iternet education on the stuff......as a general rule the forum dose not support an addictive substance to come off another cross addiction is real and develops into its own set of problems kratom is addictive therefore on the no no list of remadys I hope you know what your getting yourself in for lot of what if with the stuff if you ask me as for your taper PLEASE DONT POST TAPER PLANS in the open forum its ok to discus tapering just dont say im at such and such a # and will be droping to this # in 2 days then this # in 2 more it violates the user guidelines and the moderators will pull you post we value all input on getting off drugs here methadone is a monster to kick had a 6 1/2 yr love affair with it and it was hell coming off of it you know know 2 withdrawals are the same some people come off with little or no withdrawals during there taper ....I wasnt one of them went in and out of withdrawals the whole way but went from 150 to 1 in 8 1/2 mo 1/2 the time the clinic wanted to bring me down at just know when you take your last dose about 3 days later you will see if the kratom works I wish you all the luck in the world post on how this stuff works out for you and also how difficult it is getting off it ....God bless......Gnarly  
veral people have mentioned the Thomas recipe. What is this?pancres
Be very caereful using kratom - - I have been familiar with the stuff since Vietnam - - its indigenous to SouthEast Asia and is just the leaf of some shrub - - but thats the rub....I know of one instance where an individual sufferred multiple organ falure and was almost killed from using the leaf - - it wasnt the kratom itself, but the shrub had been sprayed with an insecticide that about killed him. Ity took the Dodcs finest efforts to keep him around. For this reason I would only endorse the extracts and not even the leaf......there is no FDA in SouthEast Asia and ours doesnt regulate kratrom imports - - even if it is legal and sort of effective.......................buyer beware - and use it intelligently!!
tappering down of meth is nothing the third day after last dose and thats when the real widthdrawl starts and it is next to being burned alive.
i just did a little research on one page it says it has been used for opied w/d were can i find it the way iam feeling i have nothing to lose. pleas tell me how and were i can get some
trendy do yourself a big favor and stay off this stuff there is no quality control and it is also additive you could wind up addicted to 2 things instead of one or cross addicted once off the methadone your playing with fire here and you have a hand full of dry straw.........Gnarly