Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Reverse Emphysema

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Reverse Emphysema

Im 42 years old and I recently had a doctor tell me that I had signs of Emphysema.  I do smoke and I have tried to quit several times.  My question is can you reverse emphysema by stopping smoking before the emphysema gets worse.
Thank you,
Mombeale
I don't know about when it is early and one is showing signs of emphysema, but my grandmother had it full blown and it was not reversable.  Quit now.  You don't want to be carting around an oxygen tank, do you?  I know one of my worst fears is drowning, that not being able to breathe feeling.  Emphysema reminds me of something like that.  Not being able to breathe or gasping for air must really be horrible.
Well, I am no expert, only a Registered Nurse so check with your doctor for exact information, but to my knowledge Emphysema is not reversible although further damage and deterioration of the alveoli in the lungs can be avoided by ceasing the activity which promulgated the disease. End stage lung disease is one of the most horrible things a human can experience in my opinion. I have seen many patients gasp for air with the knowledge that their efforts are in vain because a collapsed alveoli can not exchange gas and all the effort in the world won't reinflate these damaged little guys. I wish I had better news for you, but I think the damage has been done to some extent already.
   Stop smoking, eat healthy and do deep breathing exercises. If the damage is minimal, you hopefully can keep your lungs from deteriorating further. I wish you the best!!!!!
James
My mother had a 35 year smoking habit and ended up very sick with pneumonia in the hospital for 2 months.  She was also diagnosed with emphysema during that time period, and of course quit smoking.  This has been almost 10 years ago, and she suffers from coughing spells on occasion, but hasn't had to go back to the hospital or had any significant problems that stem from her emphysema since that time.  She fully recovered from the pneumonia, but came very close to not making it because of the condition her lungs were in.  She recounts some pretty horrific experiences trying to breathe that she could never stand to go through again.

I have no medical knowledge about this, but it could only help you to quit now.  I quit smoking 5 years ago, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.  Besides being important for all health reasons, you can finally smell and taste again, your senses return and it's a wonderful thing.  There is some good information on this website that helped me after I decided to quit smoking.  http://www.quitnet.com/
Hi Mombeal, recently i had a bad case of bronchitis that lasted for over two weeks, so i saw a doc.. He sent me to a ear nose and throat doc and also a pulmonary specialist.  I ENT doc said i had polups in my throat and that i needed surgery and to give up smoking.  The Pulmonary doc tested me for emphysema and said i had beginning stages. I can proudly say it has been over five months since i smoked a cigarette!  The docs say, as  long as i dont smoke i should be fine, some damage ofcourse will not fully repair but want be a problem if i give up the smoking.  I feel so much better and i had smoked for about 30yrs or so. It wasnt easy mom, i cut back for a week and picked a quit date.  I also used the nicorette gum , 4mg reg flavor and that was a god send for me.. Some people dont like it but i found that it takes my craving away instantly!  I also had tons of support online.. Log onto Whyquit.com and read those stories, itll make anyone quit.  They also have forums such as these for quitters.  You can also download you quit date on the pc and itll keep u up to date on all the cigs u havent smoked and all the money u saved, and how much time uve gone without and how much time u saved on your life!  Also, altho u may have some probs with you lungs that are unrepairable, i was told that after 10 yrs i would have 90% i my lung function back!  Its a tough road mom, but i know it can be done.. Good Luck Deb Download //silkquit.com for calculations..
My hubby has emphysema. He smoked 2 packs of Camel non filters for years. He had quit smokeing for several years and had become a certified welder. The place he worked at required a FULL exam including chest exrays. All was fine. 6 years after that we me. Since I have asthma I was very in tune to respritory problems and noticed that HE WAS HAVING TROUBLE BREATHING AND LOOKED SORT OF YELLOW.  He was diagnosed with metal fume feaver. He was welding pre painted steal and the there was not enough ventilation. He could bearly walk from one end of the house to the other and he is a lot better now (controlling, but better health wise-read my other posts).

Well, sorry but I have to go, he is home and makes it hard to write. GOD BLESS and I will talk to you on Wednesday.
I have a question for any nurse or medical professional:

Can a bad case of bronchitis......lasting 2 weeks or more turn into
emphysema??
I had a bad case of the flu some time back which turned into
bronchitis.......and ever since I have this burning sensation
in my airways.  I am a NONSMOKER for life.....but do live with
a smoker (smokes in a different area in the house)
Can second-hand smoke combined with bronchitis......turn into emphysema??
This is very important!! Any help would be so appreciated.
i am a 34 year old healthy woman, i eat right and work ourt at least 3 times a week and have never smoked, i was having trouble breathing over the last year and it got pretty bad about 2 weeks ago, i went to urgenrt care and was refered to  a pulminoligist where i was told i have emphasema!!!!!!!! was a bunch of crap i am now sick because of other peoples decision to smoke, (i work at  casino in the non smoking area) what have learned is that nothing is worth your health. to all please stay away from cigeretts they kill not only you but others as well.
very sad in laughlin nevada