Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Robitussin Long Term Effects

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Robitussin Long Term Effects

I have tried looking around the internet but I have yet to find good information on the long-term dangers of heavy, short-term Robitussin use. Like not a few other Robitussin users, I was first turned on to the idea of heavy DXM use by seemingly legitimate online sources that downplay the long-term effects while hyping the drugs potency and spiritual value. Having not used DXM in two years, I am now increasingly concerned about what sort of permanent damage the drug may have done to my brain and my body- for informations sake: I believe I took the drug a total of eight times over the course of a 10 month period, six of those times I used two full bottles of Robitussin gel caps.

I would love to be referred to any websites or books that any forum members think are relevant, or if anyone has any information themselves I would be equally interested in hearing their take on the long-term (permanent or otherwise) side-effects of DXM abuse.

Thanks.
Tell me if i am wrong, but you aren't really taking that much.  I'm sure people that get colds a lot take about that.  I could be wrong though.  Robitussin, like many cold/cough meds contain tylenol, which at high doses, can damage your liver.  i found this website  www.dxmstories.com that will probably be able to help you more than me.  Oh yeah, are you addicted to it??  Good luck, and you have came to the right place.  More people will be here soon to help you.
Thanks for the response. I don't think I made it clear, but what I am talking about is over-dosing on Robitussin, not using it casually or for normal medical reasons. Though I am not addicted and have not used the drug in two years, I am worried about the damage I sustained during this one year period when I would abuse the drug, infrequently, but heavily nonetheless. If anyone has information about long-term effects for short-term, heavy abuse of Robitussin (8 instances of over-dosing on 40 gel-cap pills per instance) I'd love to hear it.
Thanks for your comment.
I don't have any specific resources to tell you other than my own experience...I have used robitussin recreationally several times myself (in the neighborhood of like 15-20 times) with varying doses, the largest being 3 bottles of robitussin pills at once, and I can tell you that I really wish I had never heard of this drugs potential for abuse, the problem with me is, robitussin is not the only drug Ive used but I know definitely that it has had some rather dramatic effects on my quality of life. I am starting to develop mental problems and have severe depression and have noticed that I have very little capability of carrying out anything close to an interesting conversation with anyone, making me appear to be completely anti-social and an unattractive person in general. My work ethic is in the toilet, Im at university right now and last year I barely scraped through, this year so far isn't looking much better, maybe much worse. So yes, I don't really give a **** what erowid.org says (I bet 10 grand thats where you found out about robo tripping right?) Robitussin completely ***** your mind up and has the potential to drastically decrease...well...your potential. I am about to start seeing a counsellor, hopefully I can get some help from them...I have to get my life straight now or I truly fear the worse. This sick world seems like its just trying to swallow me whole right now, and I have few saving graces in my life, including a few close friends who don't seem to judge me like so many others have. Writing this right now is really hurting me man...I don't specifically know what you are going through but I feel for you and hope you get the right kind of help. Im glad I found this forum too. Good luck, peace.
I had no idea you could get addicted to Robitussion. My Aunt is a pharmacist and she used to have me take it every day to try to get pregnant.  They call them Robitussin babies.

I'm sorry you are going through this worry - good luck and you're in my prayers!
http://www.livestrong.com/article/70885-longterm-effects-dextromethorphan/

There is a little information about it on this website. Also, what helped you not stop abusing Robitussin? My friend uses and I don't really know what to do to help him out.  He was already sent to a psychiatric hospital and that only made it worse because everyone there was ****** up from like burning their arms and stabbing there parents. So that just made him a lot worse. Do you have any suggestions?
I am feeling now what you are talking about I have used robo so much and your commit on this post is the only thaing on the internet I am completely relating to I need help please text me if you read this at 2173164912 please robo fuckss your mind up so much