Robitussin
My 20 year old son seems to have an addiction to Robitussin. He will sometimes drink 3 bottles to get an
out of body" experience. Admits that he wants to quit, but never does. Can he be addicted to this? and if so, what are th alternatives. He has been to rehab for alchohol, stayed clean for months at a tie, but it is onw spiraling. Can anyone give us some ideas?
Are you talking Over the counter Robitussin in the USA ? Yes if he does this more than a few times a month then he is addicted......I can't imagine what would make him want to drink that much of it tho.....He needs to tell a Dr. about it.......Not sure whats in OTC Robitussin but It can't be good for him to drink that much !
I would only imagine that the amount of guaifenesin which is the primary ingredient he is taking in is very, very unhealthy. When I googled it, it said DO NOT take double doses...so, go from there...and yes, it seems as though he is showing some serious yet, some what strange signs of addictive behavior. I would inquire to see if he's taking anything else with the Robitussin.
Is this the Robotussin with Dextromorphan In it??  If so this is used to "trip"  I came across an article on this year ago.. Apparently it is used as a hallucinogenic. Also called DXM
I'd never heard of it until I Goggled it and read all about it.....You're right Steph....Its the DMX that in large quantities causes the Trip...and I guess its quite common among some Teens.........but all I can think is Yuk......That must be an awful buzz!
yes I agree... sounds nasty and I never liked tripping.. its amazing what some people will experiement with to get some kind of high.. there are some serious articles out there about this that breaks it all down into detail.. crazy
being an addict/druggy/alcoholic since i was 12 (now almost 40) i have tried everything, including robotussin (we called it robotripping).  it gave me a very strong high, but quite unpleasant.  it makes you make very strange motions such as walking by swinging your legs and arms around in a very weird way.  if you drink more than about 2 bottles you will lose all control and start having conversations with imaginary beings and then sort of like a near death experience.  hopefully he is just taking robitussin with nothing else in it or it could be extremely dangerous.  on a different not i've read that taking DXM in normal doses can to a degree help with opiate tolerance, it is possible that they are going to start adding it to drugs like oxycontin so tolerance does not shoot up, or they may add naloxone just something i read hope it helps.  DXM very bad trip!!!!!!!!