Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Roxicodone Addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Roxicodone Addiction

So about 3 months ago I decided to experiment with Roxicodone and come to find out that this stuff is insanely addictive. Well today is my third day clean after admitting I was addicted (averaging about 120-150mg a day for 3 months) and deciding to quit cold turkey. I have read through a ton of forums before I attempted to stop cold turkey and I am currently following the Thomas Recipe which seems to be helping a good deal with the withdrawal symptoms. But even as I sit here at work I find myself thinking about them constantly while I am still in agony from the symptoms that are not suppressed by the supplements I am taking. Can anyone tell me how long the withdrawals last? I am a true fighter (I was on the front lines in Iraq for 15 months my first tour, in some very bad stuff) so I have no doubt in my mind I can beat some little blue pill. However, if anyone has any input or suggestions that might help me through this crazy physical and mental struggle I would gladly appreciate it. I mean when I actually do sleep, which isn't much right now, i find myself dreaming about these things. They are BAD news and I am so ashamed I let myself get to that point.
hello and welcome to this forum.  It has helped so many people!  And there are wonderful people here who can and will help you to overcome this horrible addiction/dependence to these things...All I can tell you is what I know of withdrawal and what I have gone through.  I too thought I was strong  and a good fighter, but sometimes that is not enough to turn away from these highly addictive little things!  I took all kinds of drugs growing up, you name them I did them and was able to drop them when I was "done" doing them...but the codeine is a different animal to many people!  It grabs hold and doesn't want to let go=EVER..not with me it didn't anyway.
Anyway, my withdrawals lasted a good 7 days physically.  The bad ones-shaking, cold/hot sweats, restless leg syndrome, no sleep, couldn't eat, diarrhea, runny nose, headache, body aches, etc...started getting decent sleep after 7 days.
The mental part is the hardest for alot of us.  It takes a good while for our brains to get back to "normal", that is-the serotonin/dopamine centers have not been working correctly because we have been medicating them with the pills, so they have to clear out all that mess and start to work again.  This will take time.  You may be confused and depressed for awhile.  I am just telling you this, because it took me a long time to "feel better in the head", and be happy again.  I am about 126 days clean, and feeling good!!  Just try to give your mind a rest and let it take care of itself.  Time will heal it.  It is hard to do, really hard sometimes, it was for me.  I wanted to relapse so many times, but knew what I would have to go through again, so stood strong.  You sound like you are a good fighter, and Iraq was no punk for you I am sure!  Just hang in there, time will make you feel alot better.  You will see :)  I am rooting for you and thanking you for defending my country also :)
Sleep should come soon, it may be from total exhaustion at first, but it will.  Try some hot baths if you can, they do wonders for your body and mind too, help to relax all of you.
Good luck to you, keep posting, so much good information here.
Thanks for all the info. I was the same way growing up. Always experimenting with drugs and then able to drop whatever it was without any problem. But oxycodone is different, it took me over. I never knew what addiction felt like until I started taking these. It made me feel how I thought I should feel (if that makes any sense), happy and energetic. I was more than fully functional at work and seemed to want to do anything to help anyone. I live in Florida and it seems like an epidemic down here. My highschool friend died last week from a roxi\benzo mixture. That was my wake up call. I immediately told my mother, father, and wife what was going on and they are all helping me in any way that they can, so I have a good local support system here. So here I am, sitting at work. Legs are going crazy and my skin is crawling. Watching the clock, waiting to get home and soak in a hot bath.
Hi~  Wow!  I can't believe you're at work!  That's great!  Michele gave you some good advice...you should do fairly well as your abuse was short lived.  The dreams are common and become less and less over time.  Relapse is a huge problem so I think you should head that off quickly by attending NA or whatever similar to that.  You will always have to keep your guard up;our brains like to play tricks and get us to use again.
Good luck~Keep posting
Vicki
First and formost,,,,Thanks for your service in Iraq !!!

The least I can do is offer my experience to you. You can see my testimony on my profile. This is a head game now and the enemy is out to kill you so be on guard. Just keep it simple,,,, your only job now is to not physically put that crap into your system.  Here are a few suggestions I gave to a fellow sufferer yesterday.

First - don't listen to bad thoughts or negative feelings because they are NOT facts.  When we stop doing dope our emotions are totally out of whack. Feelings unchecked can take you right back to the dope. Run them by someone you trust or a clean person on this site.

Second - recognize that withdrawls "though they suck" are ONLY temporary. They are the necessary evil to suffer for your upcoming joy & freedom!!

Third - get out of the house. The drug dungeon is what I call it!!

Fourth-  excercise, dring lots of water, eat protein shakes and vitamins.

Fifth- realize that recovery is not an event it is a process. It will be awhile before you are better.

Sixth- take it one day at a time. There is nothing you can do for yesterday or tomorrow.

Seventh- Pray, pray & pray some more!! God has the power to get you clean. If we had the power to get clean we would have already done it.

Your sleep will come back eventually. You are on the right track & we are here to help

I just said a prayer for you.

Dafish
You can get Hylands Restfull Legs at Walgreens and/or drink tonic water. Both contain quinine which helps the rls a lot.
V.

There are a few things that aren't on the Thomas recipenthat will help especially for them restless legs cause that to me is one of the worst parts of withdrawals so when u get off work head to the store and grabyou aome magnesium and potassium and start taking that I would use two pottasiums in the morning and three magniesiums  and then the same at night about 30 minutes before bed they also sell something called hymans restless legs at walmart that will help I used all three things it might not make it go away but it will help alot also get some meletonin it's also with the vitamins it promotes sleep and I used that and also An over the counter sleep aid well hope that helps and feel free to ask me anything and I will be glad to help any way I can because this is a hard fight bit like u said u can beat it u just have to really really want to because YOU are the biggest part of this process because the final outcome is on you all the vitamins and whatnot are just side notes because if YOU don't put all you have in this fight all the suppplements in the world won't help
good luck and Godspeed

Abritt
Wow, you guys are truely amazing. I am so happy I decided to join this site. Thank you for all of the support and information. Dafishman, I agree with you that the physical part is only temporary. I mean the way I see it is just like infantry school, the pain and suffering has to end sometime, time to buckle down and get through it. Vicki, thanks for the RLS suggestion I will pass by there when I take lunch and pick some up there. I'm glad I came to work today, it's helping me keep my mind occupied, even though i'm in a crazy amount of pain. Oh well, pain is just weakness leaving the body right? lol Just kidding. Thanks for everything so far everyone.
abritt121222, just saw your comment as well. I will try the supplments you listed for the RLS, as I can see it is one of the worst parts as you mentioned. Thank you so much for your post. I WILL get through this!
see I told ya, there are wonderful people here like Vicki and Dafish!  We have all been through this sh-- and can only offer you our "cyber" support system :)  but it's all I have right now.  My husband does not understand this.  He thinks I am just bored and need to be fishing all the time lol...anyway, you will soon feel physically better trust me.  Take that hot bath when you get home!  It really helps with the shakes, twitches, whatever your body is doing right now,  also, get some vitamin B-12.  I say this all the time, but it really helps me everyday.  It gives you energy, something I know is really hard to come by when w/ding.  It was all I could do on day 3-7 to get up to use the bathroom, that's how bad I felt, ugh, just thinking about it makes me shiver.  So glad that is over with...
Dafish is right too, pray to God for help.  He really does if you ask him.
Meanwhile,  get you an OTC sleep aid for help with sleep.  Maybe that will help.  Some people swear by natural Melatonin, which you can buy at any drug store.  That didnt help me, but everyone is different.  You have to work, I did not, so I could lay around and moan, but not many people can do that.
Just wait, it will be so much better.  Eating is wonderful and you will get hungry soon enough too!
Stay strong, fight that good fight and you will be so much happier.  I know this.
Yeah, it's going to be nice when I can stomach food again and get back to the gym. :) I will keep posting throughout the day. Oh and if it has any relevance to my WDs. I am currently prescribed Lexapro (for anxiety/SSRI) and Lorazepam (Benzo for attacks). I just didn't want there to be any contraindications with anything suggested.
Oh and by the way, the mornings have been the biggest struggle of all. Getting up at 5:30 to go to work, ugh. Thank God for coffee, and a lot of it! I just looked over my first post and I forgot to mention that this is my third day clean.
Oops, I did mention sorry for the typo.
Yes...there are some things you shouldn't take : L tyrosine,Sam e, St.John's Wart because of the ssri. But all the vitamins are fine and,also,bananas!  Stay well hydrated.
Keep asking questions !!

Vicki
Nope it's actually a good thing to have the benzo for the first few days of withdrawal for the anxiety u will face but no longer than 5 days for someone who is not prescribed it for other reasons but since you are already on it no there's nothing wrong with that but I will say I have heard horror stories about coming off benzos to everyone who has been hooked on them said the wd's are worse than pain pills but I'm sure you have a good reason to have them I'm just guessing from your time in the service and I'm not gonna say of even ask about that because that's not any of my buisness as to what happend if that's why u take them so I'll leave that right there and I hope me just assuming that's why u take the benzos doesn't upset u because I have NO intentions of it being like that

good luck and Godspeed

Abritt
Cant really add much more to what others have already told you.  Congrats on day 3 and i am really glad you found us!!!

Thank you for what you have done for our country~~~~~~sara
I also had some valium or xanax, i can't remember when I had my first w/d from opiates.  Looking back now, I am glad I did because I was in horrible shape mentally along with the physical too.  I just cried all day, cried for it all   lol...but they did help me at the time to stay somewhat calmer..just try not to use them too much (just my opinion of course) because the w/d from them was no picnic too.  And I did not abuse them at all.  Maybe 3 a day of the 10mg valium and a couple 1mg xanax.  But I do remember not being able to sleep for a couple days after coming off them.  Just to let you know.  I know at that time, if I would have had a whole bottle of them, I probably would have taken more.  Just my addictive personality coming out ;)
Anyway, great luck to you.  Do keep us posted, we are all trying to help in any way we can.  I am supposed to be cleaning house today, HA!   hehe....i am, i am...
I don't mind you asking. Yes, I have them for my PTSD from when I was over seas fighting. I hardly ever take them sense my panic attacks are few and far between, thank God. If the pain and anguish gets out of control i'll take one but at this point I can deal with the WDs without having to take them. Thanks for the advice.
Thanks Michelle, I will most likely just use them to sleep. I will keep you all posted. Thanks!
LOL   Michele:  Me,too!  Laundry etc..But,I'd rather talk to Buzz!

Buzz...this is where we hang out to avoid the mundane.  Reaching out is much more rewarding.  :)

Vicki
Vicki, put it this way I AM SO glad that I have an easy desk job. Today I am not getting anything done but it doesnt matter because there is really nothing to do lol. I'm glad i'm the only one here today, it would be bad if my co-workers saw me like this.
I hear you...That's why I was so surprised you were at work!  But,if no one can see you
then I understand. And at least you're getting paid!   When I was withdrawing and feeling so badly,I wouldn't even go out to the mailbox!  I didn't want anyone to see me!
Ohhh...never again!!!

Vicki
Yes use the site to get you thru,,, I did. the people here are amazing! Thanks to all above.  Also be careful about using any form of pills. You have already proved to have an addictive personality and the benzo's can be just as bad. We need to let our brains God given natural pharmacy to get back online so you might want to do it all at once. Coming off the benzos later may produce the same w/d's that you are experiencing now,,YUUUUUUUCKKKKK

Keep talking it out bro !!

Dafish
Just an update since ill be leaving work for the day here in about 2 hours. The WDs have been pretty consistent throughout the day. But tomorrow will be a better day and i'm looking forward to leading the clean life again. Thanks again everyone and i'll be back on again tomorrow to nag you with more questions and fill you in on my progress. I have to get prepared because, after all, it's going to be another LONG night.
Thanks man, i'll only use the benzo's in EXTREME cases if they arise. I will most def keeping talking it out as this this is helping soooo much.
Day - 4: It was still hard to get up this morning however, I did get some sleep last night and some of the symptoms have lessened a great deal. I can see a light at the end of the tunnel! I guess now it’s just a matter of enduring the rest of the discomfort. I looked at myself in the mirror this morning and wow, I have lost some weight. I mean, I’m a big guy (6’ 3’ / 190lbs), or at least I used to be. I have thinned out a lot from not eating properly and not exercising. After I am done with this, I made a promise to myself, to get back in the gym and start eating healthy again so I can bulk back up. I am learning so much from this experience and I have a strong feeling that no matter how bad, everything seems to happen for a reason. All of this suffering and pain has taught me a valuable lesson, and there is no way that I will ever put myself through this again! :)
Good morning!!  You sound really good today.  You know, you weren't on them very long (3 months), so I think you are out of the woods mostly really...I was on pills off and on for over 13 years, so it was a long time thing with me.  I sure hope you start feeling much much better and getting better sleep too.  The mental part may take a bit longer, but you sound really determined to be done with them.  Good for you!  And stay strong, sometimes the cravings will come in waves, they did for me.  I just find something to do and they go away.  Maybe you won't get any at all.  That would be great!  The best of luck to you my friend, have a wonderful day and keep fighting the good fight!  The other side is so amazing...
Thanks Michele!
Hey Buzz,

First off please accept my heartfelt thanks for your service,I am prior Military as well and my son was over in Irag for 3 tours. He was a memeber of the 356 Tactical fighter wing and is finally back home safe and sound and doing good. But I appreciate you very much and I believe there is no greater thing in life than serving a cause greater than yourself. Thank you for your self sacrifice and I am glad for your safe return home.

I understand the hard to get up thing,I went for 5 and 1/2 days last week with less than 2 hrs of sleep total during them so the sleep thing I understand as well as all of the other things you are experiencing.I have been tapering down from a 20+ a day Norco(vicodin) habit for over a year so I know how hard the fight is. I am very proud of you and so happy that you are **** what you are doing. Days 3-7 were the hardest for me but it's getting better every day as it will for you. Just push through the hard stuff and keep your eye on the prize,after all,it's all up to you and I know that you can do it. You have already accomplished so much so I habe complete and total faith in you that this will soon be another Awesome accomplishment on your long list od em.

Hang in there,the protein shakes (muscle milk for me) has helped me alot and I had to force myself early on to drink something. I am 6'4, 220lbs and lost 14 lbs during the last 10 days of w/d. But anm gradually putting back on some muscle since I have started hitting the gym again.It will get better for you in the coming days as you are seeing now.

Keep up the good work and once again,I am here f you need me my brother.

michael
Oh and by the way, I can't even fathom how horrible the WDs must have been after years of taking those things! I was only on them for a short period and, at it's worst, it was still horrible. You all are serious survivors, it's amazing :).
Michael,

Thank you for the great words of encouragement. I'm glad your son made it back alright as I have done multiple tours as well. I know how crazy it can get over there. I was in the 1st 41st infantry and it was insane, specifically the first tour in 04'-05'. I will try to start drinking protien shakes to see if it helps along with the regiment of vitamins I have been taking daily. Again, thanks a lot for all the kind words and it's good to know that i'm not the only one that is going through this.

Thanks,
Matt
You are very welcome my friend and I know that it helps to have others to talk to that are going through the same H-LL that you are and I am one of those people. Feel free to p/m me anytime and add me as a friend if you are so inclined.

Things will get better everyday so never doubt that. But take comfort in knowing that you are never alone in your battle,I am here with you and in spirit also.

Keep me posted on your daily progress and feel free to ask me anything,if I can help I will.

Have a wonderful,strength filled day and I will be thinking good thoughts and sending you as much energy as I can.

your friend,
michael
Matt...you sound good but I'm sure you don't feel that great!   It's really important to eat,take those vitamins etc..it's not fluff...you'll feel better.  And I totally forgot about Muscle Milk.  It's good stuff;tastes good. We drink it all the time.  You can get it at Costco..it's good substitute if you can't eat breakfast/lunch.
Did you sleep? More energy today? Legs twitchy still?

Vicki
Hey Vicki,

My legs are still going crazy (by far the most annoying part of all of this) but the soreness and chills are getting better. Muscle milk! Used to drink it all the time after the gym. I will go grab some here in a little bit up at GNC. I actually did sleep an alright amount last night, thanks to the lorazepam, so I know that had to have helped. Besides the RLS I feel like I have a bad flu, but im getting through it a day at a time.

Thanks,
Matt
Day - 5 Well everyone I am happy to report that a good deal of the symptoms are fading and I’m starting to get my appetite back. I am actually starting to feel like myself again. There are still lingering chills and soreness, but nowhere near what it was. Thank you everyone for all of your support and suggestions. I don't think I would have been able to do this without all of the support and help. The cravings might come in waves, but there is no way I will EVER put myself through that pain again. I cannot wait for this to be totally over but as I can tell now, the worst seems to be over. I will keep all of you up to date as this goes on. You all were right, it feels so great to not be dependant. I feel free.
woohoo Matt!!  great to hear you are feeling more like yourself finally...it does feel good doesn't it?  It's such a strange thing, no matter how long we took these things, we lost ourselves so much in it, like 2 different people...and the day you feel like yourself, it's like opening the door and welcoming yourself back to you.  haha.  doesnt make much sense I know, but that's the way I felt too.
Congratulations man on getting back to you.  I also love muscle mlk, its fattening as hell, but I buy it alot.  Larry says why dont you just go to Jack in the box and get a dam milkshake!!  he doesnt understand my love of milk.  One of the best things in my world.
Anyway, have a GREAT day today!!  Stop somewhere and smell the roses lol...:)
Thanks Michele,
I know exactly what you mean by welcoming yourself back. It is a wonderful feeling. Funny you mention muscle milk being fattening. One of my co-workers was working out and trying to loose weight while taking muscle milk and ended up gaining an extra 10 lbs haha I felt so bad for him. :) Anyways i'll keep you posted on whats going on and I WILL stop and smell the roses today.

Matt
hello! im new here and im desperate for help! my best friend has become very addicted to Roxicodone and i dont know what to do and i need to help him cause i feel like im watching my best friend die in front of my eyes.  he has been addicted for a while, last year he went to rehab and when he got out everything was going great but for some reason the last couple of months he got back on them and i can tell, the problem its bigger now than before he went to rehab.  im so scared cause he is like my brother and im so afraid to lose him.  his family isnt talking to him, i talk to his dad all the time behind my friend's back to keep him informed, all his friends have abandon him cause everyone is tired of watching him dig a hole but im not the kind of person who gives up on my friends... i gotta help him, but i dont know how! i have tried talking to him and he says he knows he is in a bad spot but he says he cant get out.... so if you can give me anything to help him out, i will love you forever!!!!!!!!
Hi Michele,

Do you know how long the withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms will last and how long it takes roxycodone to get out of your system? So many sleepless nights and severe leg pains.

thanks
trying hard to beat it in Florida
I knew my daughter was doing something and I have just found out it is roxicotone. I need some suggestions of how to approach this. A friend that I called of hers at first said he did not know if she was doing anything and then he called me today and said he just had to say something and I am so grateful, my motherly instinct was rite. I have to tell her Dad tonite and we had gone down a similar road when she was in her teens, she is now 26. I found out her boyfriend is selling them and I asked him when she first brought him home if he was into any drugs, ofcourse he is not going to say anything. I will be checking back in for advice...Lindsay's Moms
your plight is so similar to mine. Love who I am when I am on them, they give me so much energy, but its draining my wallet at $30 a pill on the street (I am not prescribed), do u have an email or something? Im a 23 yr old college grad who just really needs some advice. ***@**** is mine.
Did you get help for your daughter?  Mine is addicted to Oxies/Roxies and I heard that she had graduated to Heroin at one point and was supposedly rescued from it.  I have her daughter, who is only 5, with me and I need to ensure she is safe as well.  My daughter has not admitted to drug use.
I found this site while researching Roxicodone. My 32 year old niece is and has been dealing with drug issues for 3 years now. I am visiting my sister who will NEVER give up on her daughter but it is killing my sister.

How do we convince my niece to get help?