Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Rubbing Alcohol Addictiom

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Rubbing Alcohol Addictiom

Hello I have been addicted to isopropynol alcohol for the past four years. I love the way it smell feels and taste. I started off just smelling it and rubbing it on my hands at least four times a day. Now my condition has worsened and I put the alcohol on cotton balls chew it and then spit it out. I never actually swallowed the alcohol only tasted it. Is there a reason why I have this awful craving? What are some of the damages I am causing myself? Any suggestions to stop! Please help.
Hey~  You need to see a doctor and get this fixed right away.  There is a condition called Pica where people love to smell,eat,taste inedible substances. It's usually because of a deficiency in the body.  There are many who have this condition. It can be treated if that what it is.
Don't worry. Just call your doctor. It can,of course do harm. Rubbing alcohol doesn't ever belong in your mouth.

Good luck~
Vicki
You need to get to a doctor and tell them what is going on........sara
If that doesn't prove addictions come in all shapes and sizes I don't know what will!
I sleep eat. I wake up and eat weird things, especially out of the garbage disposal & trash. 8 a raw piece of chicken straight out of the package in the fridge. I had food poisoning for like a wk its not drinking rubbing alcohol but none the less disturbing? Do you only do that with the R.A? Or do other smells trigger you?
I agree with sarah you should see a doc, asap seem's like that would taste terrible. Do you get high when you chew the cottonball's seem's like it would burn your mouth? (ouch)

This sounds pretty serious.  There is a lot of information on the web regarding Isopropyl alchol abuse, check it out and talk with your doctor.

Here is one link that describes some of the health effects of Isopropyl alchol ingestion.

http://www.alcoholtreatmentclinics.com/isopropal-alcohol-ingestion/

Best of luck to you.

Henry
Wow... thats stuff burns like hell. I used to use it for a toothache. I had a really bad toothache a while back and I would take a cotton ball and soak it in rubbing alcohol and put it directly on the tooth that hurt. It works s few seconds after I put it on my tooth it quit hurting I was glad because a few seconds was all I could stand that stuff burns but it killed my toothache.
Thanks for all the input. I have tried seeing a doctor but thet had no real suggestions. Of course they provided me with the health risks but that was about it. I can not seem to stop. It does not give me a real high but I do feel a sense of relaxation when I do it.
Kristen~Does anyone in your life know about this?  Parents?

You might try a therapist/psychologist. If it's beyond them perhaps they can refer you.
I'm really surprised your doctor didn't refer you.  Were you very clear about this?
Maybe call back and ask for a referral.  You really need to stop and to find out why you do it.
Let us know~
Vicki
Hi Vicki! I am currently seeing a therapist! I just started last week and one of her suggestions were to join a healthcare forum and see if other struggle and or hear what other have to say about this problem. my parent are aware and were actually the ones who directed me to a therapist. My journey to recovery is very new so at this point I am just trying to cope.