SUBOXONE
I HAVE A SEVERE HEROIN PROBLEM AND AM ON THE METHADONE PROGRAM RIGHT NOW BUT WANT TO GO TO SUBOXONE. IS THIS A GOOD IDEA
It depends on what your goal is. Suboxone is not a cure all. It has it's own side effects and is also very difficult to come off of. How long have you been on the methadone? And why would do you want to come off of it?
Probably but how much Heroin were you taking and how much Methadone are you on now.  Methadone works very well but is extremely difficult to come off of.  Many never seem to be able to do it.  Sub may be the answer but has its own demons.   Of the two however, I would rather take my chances with Sub.  I have been on it and know it well.  I have heard so many horror stories on this site from those who have or are still trying to get off of Methadone, I would hate to have to fight that battle. However, if the alternative is a life of chasing the Horse, I would choose Methadone or Sub before that.  At least with these, you don't wonder about the purity of the stuff you are putting into your body or if your are going to wake up in the morning.  Happy Thanksgiving and all the best.
no, substituting one drug for another will not help your addiction
its like an alcoholic trading in his vodka for beer
the herion didnt work so you tried methadone, now the methadone isnt working so you want sub.
but what is next after sub.? by this time you maybe dead or lost your chance at really getting clean
if you decide to get on sub. i understand
i went from pain pills, to herion to methadone to pain pills to suboxone to pain pills to herion to methadone to suboxone to pain pills to methadone to sub....on and on for 10 wasted years, my last desperate attempt at taking pills to cure my addiction was revia, even that stuff made me sick
hope my experiecne helps...good luck
I HAD A 5 GRAM A DAY HABIT AND AM ON 120 MG OF METHADONE. I WANT TO COME  OFF THE METHADONE BECAUSE PARTLY BECAUSE THE STIGMA THAT COMES WITH BEING ON THE METHADONE AND PARTLY BECAUSE  I THINK THAT I WOULD DO BETTER ON SOME THING ELSE AND THAT I COULD KICK FASTER ON THE SUBOXONE THEN ON THE METHADONE. IVE BEEN ON THE PROGRAM 8 MONTHS AND ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS RAISE MY DOSE AND I WANT TO GET OFF OF ALL OPIATES. I WANT MY LIFE BACK DESPERATELY
well the only way to quit doing something is to quit, not change to doing something that is really the same thing
methadone and suboxone are not that metabolically different
and they both have the same stigma
there is only one program that Promises freedom from active addiction and it aint the suboxone program
now if you are serious about getting clean the clinic has no right to delay your dose adjustment
when you talk to your clinic theripist what did they say to you, did they refuse a decrease?
do you get take home doses?
If your long term goal is to be free of all opiates - suboxone may be a good tool to get you there. At least more so than the methadone. My doc was also heroin, and I finally went on the sub in april 07 - stayed away from dope since then. But I have to tell you, sub also has MANY bad attributes. I dunno if I'd say it's easier to kick either. I've been tapering for MONTHS and it's been a real monkey. There's also a stigma with taking the sub, alot of people don't consider that clean. But the choice to go on it is 100% personal... search this website for posts on sub and search the internet in general. You can make the sub work for you as long as you have a plan ahead of time. Most people find success in a short sub program (21 days) but that decision is up to you as to what will help you. ochooked did a quick sub program, and I've been on it for 19 months... if I can help answer any questions at all please PM me ok?
THEY WONT GIVE ME A DECREASE AND I DONT GET CARRIES BECAUSE I ALSO HAVE A LOVE (ADDICTION) TO BENZOS . IM WEANING OFF THOES AND I WANT TO WEAN OFF THE METHADONE BUT THE DONT THINK THAT ITS A GOOD IDEA YET THEY SAY THAT IM NOT READY
I just wanted to add this - Everyone's road to recovery is different. What works for some may not work for others. There is no ONE way that is better or above others. However you get yourself to recovery is your own business. It's a personal decision as to what road you feel you should take.
My opinion is perhaps use the sub for a very short term period - 5 days or so, once you all of the methadone is completely out of your system and then be done with it all.  IF you are truly ready to be off all opiates then staying on sub is not the right thing to do - as sub is an opiate.  As for the stigma -- suboxone is only prescribed for addiction.. so it comes with its own stigma.  I truly respect your desire to be get off all drugs and with strength you CAN do that.  Sub is a drug though so if you have to use it, use it as a tool for a few days.  There is no easy way to do this -- grit your teeth and just do it.  For most of us drug addiction comes with a price and suboxone is not a get out of jail free card.  I have not taken methadone and I have heard it is very very hard to come off of.. so whatever you gotta do to get off and be clean then thats what you do.  Just learn about suboxone through people who have taken it and come off of it.  It is an opiate just like the rest and its a very strong one.  Useful in some ways but not to be taken lightly.
I wish you nothing but the best and I know you can do this.
I haven't heard many positive experiences with methadone, so I'm not surprised that the clinic would tell you that. BUT - you'll run into the same problem with suboxone. Honestly, this is something you need to research throroughly before making a decision. PLEASE check this site for posts on suboxone, go a search on the web in general, talk to the many people on this forum who have experience with it - then make a decision as to what will be the best tool for you. That's what sub is, a tool... it's not an answer or a cure.

Refusingbondage - you were on sub as well yea?
are you ready to quit all drugs? if you are ready to be clean from all drugs then the suboxone is not an option
just like catt ssays, she got on sub a year ago to help her detox but she is still on the sub
thats what happens to most patients, they have their heart set on a short detox using sub
then end up trapped and on sub. which as i stated earlier is not all that different from methadone or herion

now, i never want anyone on methadone or suboxone to feel that they are less than or not welcomed in all recovery settings
that being said i do want top mention that there is a difference, people who are really clean, do not have narcotics to fall back on, when they go through loss of a loved one, divorce, or sickness they are fighting for their life without using drugs, last year when i went through chemo i wished i was on sub., it was certainly offered, but i wanted to go through it clean,
if you look up clean in the dictionary there is a long list of definitions, the one that pertains to our situation mean this
"to be free from drugs" in my experience i was not free from drugs on sub. i was just on another drug
i would never turn my back on someone who was on a matience program, because one day they might be ready for freedom and i would like to help
ACTUALLY... I did NOT say I went on sub to help me detox. I went on suboxone with the intention of being on it 'long-term'. I was a chronic relapser and I needed to utilize sub's craving blocking effects. HOWEVER - I did not plan to be on sub for 19 months... I had planned to be off within 8 months and my doctor scammed me into believing there was no harm in staying on it 'as long as I needed to be'.

Not to start another huge sub battle... but I do consider myself clean. I am no longer trapped in active addiction nor do I do any of the things I did while in active addiction. That being said - I do realize and admit that I am physically dependent on suboxone. Had I known what I was getting into by staying on sub for an extended period of time I never would have done it. BUT I'm no longer jamming needles in my arm, stealing, selling or getting thrown in jail... so I accept the good with the bad I guess!

KRISTINH - as I said, please do research before you make a decision to start sub. It can be helpful but can be just as equally harmful!
If you do chose to do the suboxone make sure you quit all benzos first because they do not fit well together and deaths have ocurred from mixing Sub and benzos.
back to the top
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP ESPECIALLY CATTALINA I APPRECIATE ANY HELP AND POINT OF VIEW
I have never tried either methodone or Suboxone. I understand Sub leaves you feeling completly clean and sober (if taking the proper dose) Does Methodone do the same? Or is there a opium high with meth? Just wondering.
-peace
-Dez
thank you all for your comments and help. It is much appreciated. I HAVE to get off that methadone and am going to talk to my dr.Im very lucky. I live in wa state and very few dr are licensed to prescribe suboxone anf my shrink is one. I truly think that I have a better chance of getting clean with the sub. and i am almost weaned off the benzos.
I just want my life back
deffo a good idea !!!subs are the next step up the ladder .Subs are brill you get what you see on subs
good luck im a fan of subs they've kept mr clean for 7years a bit long i know but hey im clean from herion/methadone etc.
I have been on methadone for decades; and owe my life to the methadone recovery program.  Ive, achieved 2 degrees in college before graduating.  Moreovere, I am living successfully and happily knowing I will never get off methadone, just like a diabetic never gets to stop his or hers insulin shots!  It is a posative and safe way of life for serious herion, or opiate dependancy.  In my case, I am prescribed Methadone for pain management.  Thus, the main thing you truly need to do is find that level of milagrams where your not nodding out all day and where your not sick either!  Be true to yourself.  And associate with successful people, stay away from people, places and things that would encourage you to use street dope.  Again, be TRUE to yourself and others.  
My drug of choice ended up being methadone and it's as cheap as heroin on the streets. I tried to taper, no way, I am a full blown junkie. Methadone has a long half life, and is horrible as far as withdrawal, maybe the worst. I ended up taking subutex after the near death experiences started getting closer together. I am glad you have an educated and caring doctor to help you with the subs, that's rare. Subs have simply saved my life, not figuratively, literally. I am three weeks in and have reduced my dose willingly and with minor withdrawal symptoms. For me, this tool has given me a moment of clarity to get my life in perspective and actually choose what to do, rather than respond to my methadone addiction. I planned on taking more for a longer time, but want to be totally chemical free. I have used the sub clarity to form a plan and support for when it's gone. AA, counseling, and talking to my friends and family. I am so gland the methadone is out of my system, it was like a nightmare after so many years.