Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Scared to take Fentanyl Patch ( Prev. addict to pain pills )

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have been suffering from Post Herpetic Neuralgia and the pain is constant and has gotten to the point of being unbearable. I was addicted to Vicoprofen for many yrs and went into rehab 3 yrs ago and havent touched them since, all the meds I have been given arent working Lyrica, Gabapentin etc. Im at the point to where I cant take it anymore and my Dr. wants to prescribe me the Fentanyl Patch and I am scared to death. I am hurting so bad and i dont no what to do, he knows of my past addiction but he also knows I am suffering every minute of everyday. He has given me 5 mg of hydrocodone which is not helping the pain at all and I have taken them as directed but they arent working. He says I wont get addicted because hes only gonna prescribe it until I get to a Pain Management Dr. Im just scared of this patch. Anyone ever been on this and whats the difference between the a patch and pills??
Thinking this may not be the right forum for posting that question....
I read your post..just have to experience with the patch.  Give it time...you will get the info and help you need.
Hi and welcome. I wish I could help but I don't know anything about the patches. There are members who have used them. Hang on and someone with the information you need should see your post soon.

Best of luck,

Minn
Thanks, I realize this is mostly about getting help getting clean, I have 1006 days clean and I sure dont want to ever go through that again, but there comes a time that the pain gets so unbearable that something has to be done and I was just wondering how pain patches work I am so terrified of using anything as when I went through rehab I went through pure hell, gettin off of hydro and xanax was just awful so I have such a fear of ever having to go through that again ( I WONT ever go through that again ) just need to get over this awful pain from shingles thats has hung on to me for 2 yrs now...Shine
Hi There, I am going to private message you with a member here that has lots of knowledge with Fen patches. Check your inbox and you can pm her ok? good luck.
I know that the patch is a opiate just like vic's u were taking & it is highly addictive as well so my guess is that if ur on it a while ur body & mind will develop a dependency  on it, there for u will need to go through W/D again. Sorry for ur pain but if u research it online u will be able to find out all the info u need. Best of luck! Stacy
Yeah I know its a opiate thats why I didnt get the script from my Dr. I just dont know how they work and how they make u feel, just scary to me. Im desperate for some relief to this pain but I have suffered for 2 yrs now and really need to get a break from it before I go crazy. PHN from shingles is no joke and hurts like hell and I have suffered a good long time from but its getting worse ... I need alot of prayers and some strength right now for sure..shine
Thanks, I got a messaged sent I'll let ya know if I hear back...again thank you....shine