Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Self Detox from Alcohol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Self Detox from Alcohol

I have been drinking on and off for the past 5 years.  I currently drink daily (only in the evenings) about 3-10 ounces of alcohol (vodka and soda).  I want to stop once and for all and want to do it without going through through any detox (inpatient or out) program as I cannot afford to loose the time from work or away from my family.  I am embarrassed that I let this get so out of hand and find that alcohol is starting to rule my life.  I want to know if it is possible for me to do this without medical intervention.  Has anyone else quit Alcohol on there own?  If so what did they go through?  I realize I am going to have some side effects from the withdrawal and ready to ride the storm to sobriety.  My only concern is what symptoms should I not ignore and seek medical attention immediately.  Thanks in advanced for your support and I am going to use this as my support group for now.  

I was a heavy drinker 8 years ago after my daughter was born. Well, Ive been a heavy drinker my whole life but this time, I was at an all time low. Drank when the baby woke me at 2am, (southern comfort then, comfort hah!) drank til I got her back to sleep, drank when she woke me up in the mornings, drank all day long til I went to sleep at night. I was going thru a gallon every other day. I did quit on my own, just one day said enuf, i need to lose 50 pounds (from having the baby and starting drinking, that never went away til i quit) and just quit. I didnt have the shakes, I didnt have any symptoms that I recall. But then I didnt know at the time it was physically addictive. My doc recently told me when I was going thru opiate w/d's, if this were alcohol Id have you do it in a treatment center b/c you can die but since its opiates we can try this safely at home. I know many others are going to disagree with me here but it can be done. Other people havent had that kind of luck and what I heard at AA last night tells me some people go thru absolute hell quitting alcohol. Diareah, vomiting, shakes, etc. Thats why they took their next drink. They ALL said it. If you cant do the inpatient thing for a week, how about calling your doctor (if you have one) and being honest with them. I know, tough to do in the beginning but youll feel so much better once this is over. If you dont have a doctor, get one and talk to them. I feel it can be done at home but ONLY b/c I was on so much and did it. I didnt know I could DIE tho. So Id hate for you to think youll be one of the lucky ones and not get sick and then end up dying on us. Please, think about telling a doctor.  
Thanks for the reply!  The problem I have is I have done this twice with my doctor with the promise I would seek help after quitting.  I know if I go to him again and tell him I want to quit once and for all he will just tell me to go to a treatment center.  I know the next couple of days are going to be rough but I will get through them.   If the withdrawal symptoms get to be to much I will seek medical attention immediately.  I did call one outpatient facility and they told me I had to be there for 10 hours on my first visit then sign up for a 6 week 3 hour 3 times per week session.  I cannot afford the time to go through that.  I also work with someone who drank MUCH more then I do and quit cold turkey all on his own without having any withdrawal symptoms.  I wonder if there isn't some over the counter herbal suppliment that can help with any symptoms?
im not sure about that but you could call a hospital ( a regular one) and ask them. But I did forget to mention that its VITAL to follow up with aftercare of some kind. AA meetings, therapy, etc...To save your LIFE.
My DOC was both alcohol and pain pills....and it was heavy usage....sometimes a 12 pack at 8am and then sipping beers and eating vikes all day until I passed out in the evening. I used the vikes to quit drinking....did some valiums at night to sleep....the  quit the pain pills..then weaned off the valium which had been taken only for a few days.....maybe did a 10mg and a half one night...then just a 10 the next, and a half the next, and it was over except for the ongoing mental and physical stuff.....I hike, run, bike, and lift....it all promotes brain chemical response......its all possible if yiu believe :)
my doc is also alcohol and pain pills. but id rather (if i allowed myself) take pills than drink and I LOVED drinking.
You should be just fine if you taper off.  If that becomes impossible for you then maybe you have caught the "alergy (allergy)," which makes it hard, very hard to stop.  The dox can RX some ativan to alieviate the proccess of stoping.  You might go to a doc and have him check your liver for damage.  Nice thing is that the liver is a great organ and can rejuvinate itself after the poison is gone.
the people in rehab with me that were there for drinking seemed to be suffering worse than anyone there. It's gotta be the hardest **** to quit, especially living here where you can get a drink at any time of the day and get free drinks for gambling. I'm glad i hate alcohol.
the funny/odd thing with me was, if I had pills, but no alcohol....or alcohol but no pills, the i wouldn't touch anything....so yes, alcohol is a major problem. In rehab, it was the alcoholic that suffered seizures.....but, I needed to combine the two....pain pills need alcohol...in my addictive mind. I'm doing okay, but have experienced the withdrawl (withdrawal) of both...
Well I have done some reading on this and called a couple of outpatient rehab centers and honestly cannot afford the time they want me to stay there.  I am going to give this a go on my own and if it gets to bad then I will check into one of them.  I will be posting my progress as it goes.  Thanks in advance for the support.
good luck to you.....be strong....maybe you could acquire some valium or ativan....take them sparingly, especially at night....they will settle your shakes and cravings. Drink a lot of water....take care..
If you get very very VERY drunk and show up at an emergency room by law they have to take you in and detox you.  I would suggest doing that this way you can safely detox with medical supervision and then when you get out you can follow through witha plan such as AA to get your life and mind back.
Good luck to you!
What do you mean by "alergy (allergy)"?  Just curious.  I'm about to quit myself and am worried about physical withdrawl (withdrawal).  

Charlie
Did the drinking make you hold on to weight?  Did you eat too..  or just drink all day and night?  I think you and I have much in common.

Charlie
OK!  I have made it through my first night and feeling pretty good.   I have a blood pressure problem that I am on medication for and that is one of my big concerns with quitting drinking.  I have a medical background and I know the one medication I am on is one of the ones they prescribe with someone going through alcohol withdrawal.  Also I know that I can increase my dose by one more pill per day and I did that last night.  It really helped.  Also I took a melatonin (herbal sleep aid) last night to help with the insomnia.  That also helped me sleep all night.  The thing with melatonin and me is that I have to take it early in the evening about 2 hours before bed.  The calming effect of melatonin really helped me last night.  I realize it is only one night and this is REALLY a test of my will power as I have two bottles of vodka at home and lots of club soda (my favorite drink vodka and soda).  I have tried to quit before in my 5 plus years of drinking and have made it as long as a month.  I remember that the second, third and fourth night are always the hardest.  It is like this little demon is in my head going, “oh come on just one little drink isn’t going to hurt you”.   That is the problem it is never just one little drink.  I am determined to make it and want to quit once and for all so I can get back to the things I enjoyed like exercising on a regular basis, spending more time with my kids, etc.   Thanks in advanced for the support from this group and this along with the therapist I just started seeing should keep me on the clean and sober track.  
I quit drinking almost 5 years ago. I can tell you 1 think that worked VERY well for me and got me through some hard, emotional times: start going to AA.  AA has helped MILLIONS put down the bottle and there are some beautiful souls in those rooms that will help you work through your problems and stay sober.  The "90 meetings in 90 days" is probably the smartest path to follow.  Those "I need a drink" thoughts will disappear over time, but you shouldn't  have to fly solo on this trip there is too much help available to you.

If you go it alone and fail, you just get more depressed and drink even harder.  AA meetings are usually only 1 hour a day, but that is the most important hour of your day. You don't have to say anything, just listen and you'll notice an "osmosis" in wisdom happening to you.  In about a month, your family will tell you how much happier you are and by the end of the 90 days, you'll KNOW you're happier and a better person. -this doesn't mean stop going to meetings!  I am only 1 drink away from going into active alcoholism and it will be that way for the rest of my life. (just like I am only 1 painkiller away from reverting back into a complete addict and ruining my life)

I wish you only the best in your endeavor to stay sober.  Life is what happens OUTSIDE of a bottle :o)
OK, I have made it through my second night without drinking.  However that was VERY difficult given I have bottles of vodka, soda water and beer in my house.  I wanted a drink so bad but kept telling myself that I would have to start all over again.  The other problem is my wife has two to three glasses of wine per night.  It is hard to not join her in a drink and wish she would stop herself.  I am really tired and I think that is part of the withdrawal process.  The only withdrawal symptoms I am having now are a few face tremors and some irritability.  I am proud of myself that I have made it this far without having to check into a rehab facility and put my family through that embarrassment.  I am at the point now that I feel I can make it and be strong enough not to have a drink.  I need to find things in the evening to occupy myself and keep me from drinking.  I am going to have my BP checked by the corporate nurse at my office today.  However I can usually tell when my BP us up and it feels great even going through WD.   Thanks again for the support from this forum it has really helped me.  

Peace to all  
I always wanted to quit drinking. The longest time I went without drinking is for 5 days. It is not the withdrawal symptoms that prevent me from getting on another drinks but the craving. What should i do?
Thanks for all of your posts here.  Very helpful.  I have progressed over the past two years into drinking a bottle of wine almost very night and waking up feeling horrible the next morning.  I'm so tired of living this way and want to stop.  Seems whenever I try, I fail.  I get extremely agitated and feel like I'm going to "jump outta my skin" when I go through the withdrawals.  Seems after about the second day, it gets worse.  I wanted to ask has anyone taken Ativan?  How does it work?  Would appreciate any information you could give.