Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Seriously Wondering, need to Know.

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Seriously Wondering, need to Know.

Hi All, to give you a briefing on my situation here.  I have been on percocets 3yrs, stopped 6 days, relapsed, c/t again, stopped 2wks, relapsed, then started only taking 3-5 a day, I have now stopped c/t again, this is day 3 for me.  I must say, the pains were no where as bad as the other times!  Thank God!  Im just sooo tired of keep trying to do this.  Its the mental cravings that kill me.  They are so powerful.  My mind wants to take a pill as we speak, the thoughts are there off and on all day, everyday!  Its very hard, but at the same time, I dont want to because I know the misery it brings.  But Im still miserable without them.  Vicious, vicious, cycle.  I am just wondering, will my energetic self return?  It sure seems hopeless right now.  And the depression is so still there.  I know I have read these things take time, but even at 2wks clean, I was still not no where emotionally, or still energy wise.  I am now 50yrs old, before this awful pill pool I got into after a surgery 3yrs ago, at age 47 I was so energetic, alive, creative, and self motivated to do things in life.  Now, nothing, I cant even think straight, I am not myself, everything about me is phony, smiling, socializing, just everything,  furthermore everything I manage to make myself do, it takes soooooo much for me to even cook, clean, or go out to a store.  This is horrible, and seems so hopeless.

I really need to know, is it guaranteed that your energy level will return?  the clear head will that return, my self motivation, just everything about who I used to be......will I ever get that back?  I dont work, so the boredom really *****, and does not help at all, it just makes things worst, even the depression.  I want to at least try a pt job of some kind just to get me out the house, and make me feel normal, I think that would help, but there is noooo way I can sign up to commit myself to employment feeling like this.  Ya know,....I truly know physically my body is not ready, and mentally I am a mess.  I just dont know, sometimes it seems hopeless, but Im still trying.  Can somebody give me some ballpark timelines here?  I know everyone is different, but just hearing it may help give me the strength, and drive to keep pushing.....ya know. Does the fact that this detox was not as bad, play any part in the timeframe of my recovery, and feeling better at all?   Thanks for any support, and God Bless you all.

I have grandkids, so I gotta try reeeeeaal hard to get out today, and do a xmas layaway for them.  I sure aint in the mood, but im going to try real hard to get it done.  OOOOOOhh this is just a hot mess I am in, when will it at least start to feel better.If I could just get my energy, and my head together I would be so much better.  Is this worth it?  please pray for me, my entire family depends on me.  I feel so lost
Hi,It is guaranteed that you will get all of those things back.And yes you have less in your system so it will be easier.But,give yourself a break.You are only on day 3.I was a total wreck at day 3.The time fram is going to be imo about 20 days you will feel much better than today.30 days you will feel clear and able to function.40-60 days.You will be alot more energetic and have way less depression and anxiety.It could be a shorter time frame than that but you will feel better the longer you stay off of these.Ajob will help but I would not even worry about that right now.If you are cooking cleaning and getting out at all on day 3 that is amazing to me.Exercise and get some protein powder shake mix at walmart.Just do not start using again.Get rid of the pills you have if there are any lying around.Keep posting.Let us know how you are.
I asked the same question 6 weeks ago when I was going cold turkey from 8-10 hyrdo a day.  This is the message that really helped me:

ou have to remember how opiates work, and why you feel depressed etc. when you quit taking them and after you are over the withdrawals.

Opiates bound to the opioid receptors in your brain and body. They release their artificial endorphins to them, and block the bodies natural endorphins. After a while the neurons that produce the body's natural endorphins disappear. There is no need for them so they just don't rejuvenate like they would normally.

When you stop taking the opiates,  they leave your opioid receptors bare, and they are calling out for your body's natural endorphins, but there isn't any there at first. You body has to repopulate the neurons that make them, and this takes time.

Endorphins like dopamine  control your moods, anxiety, sadness, anger, happiness, pain etc.

You will slowly get your "old self" back as these neurons repopulate and begin increasing their endorphins production. After being off the opiates for a month, they should be about 45-50% of normal, and be back to normal within a year.
So hang in there, you will feel better and better as the months roll by, and they roll by pretty darn quick when we get to our age, don't they!

Try keep busy and keep your mind focused on positive things instead of dwelling on the depression, anxiety, etc. that are only temporary and will disappear as your endorphins return to normal.

Does that  answer or help you understand your questions?

I KNOW EXACTLY how YOU Feel!!! My pattern was take for 2 months go off for a month and repeat and repeat. I finally realized the ONLY way out for me was to find a way to STOP getting them. So, last week I marched into the pharmacy and had them remove all refills from my file as well as note NO NARCOTICS!!!!
I plan to have a discussion with my MD about this as well. It really helped with the preoccupation as I knew it wasn't going to be easy anymore. Just knowing my little secret was out gave me great relief, hope, and Strength.
I know my MD will be cool about this as well. After all SHE had NO idea I was abusing these things in the 1st place.
Also, for me exercise is KEY!!!!! Some people might tell you I am down right scary after a good work-out. It really gets me going and alot less depressed. I joined a gymn because when I try and work out at home i find there are just way too many distractions!!!!
WALKS ARE GREAT AS WELL. . . . . AND SHOPPING NEVER SEEMS TO GET ME DOWN!! LOL.
Just some thoughts.
Be Tough and keep posting. . . . it really does help to know others are out there willing and waiting 2 help
Peace!!!
Energy and depression are the last two things to return to normal.  You will get better.  What is your alternative - to continue taking pills?  That will only make things worse.  Exercise is a key.  Plus eating healthy.