Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Sex drive after detox...

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Sex drive after detox...

I've noticed after I cleaned up I feel like I have the sex drive of a 17 year old.  I have found that my wife is way sexier, and I cant leave it alone. Has anyone else had anything similar? I know Im looking at things through clear eyes, and I am appreciating everything much much more.  But what is with this.  Now Im not complaining, by any means.  But I feel like I am a horny teenager. Is this normal? If not I dont really care.  Maybe it's one of the things that people can look forward to after detox.  Hope this isnt offensive..
Yep,my husband thought I had been abducted and someone else was left in my place,couldn't get enough,now he can't keep up  LOL
Lol that's one thing I look forward to is finding my sex drive once I get off these things. I have zero interest in sex thanks to being over-opiated and I remember when I did quit I was suddenly insatiable lol. Yes it's a fun effect of getting your feeling back. The feelings we numb for so long suddenly return and your right it's like being a horny teen all over again. Unfortunately for me I am recently separated so I'll have to do thr job myself for awhile lol but I'm looking forward to feeling again after being numb for waaay too long!
That is definately a perk to getting clean...perhaps we should start telling everyone that - it could be the best motivation!
When my fiance and I were on methadone we did not have sex and we did not care...that should show us just how evil the drugs are! lol  When we detoxed from methadone and our feelings started coming back it was amazing (we made up for lost time...lol)
When we first began using, sex was awesome on pills but as we went from users to addicts, it changed and the addiction was far too dominant to have room for other things.  That is sad but true...
Rekindling sparks and realizing sexual feelings again is the best part of getting past the addiction!
If it feels good, do it!!!   Congrats!!
Geezzzzzzzzz I hope I feel like that when I get off of the suboxone. My husband will think he has another woman....lol
You will Janet!!!
i got off of sub and lets just say u will know what we r talking about.. just add that to  ur motivation to get clean.. ; )
You get back the best feelings in the world,and you can't get enough.  LOL
This is really interesting I have been blaming my lack of sex drive on menopause - maybe not....I really now know after reading many many posts that I am an addict because I have all the signs of an addict as opposed to being a user.  
In Conclusion..  My back hurts..... But well worth it... It over all is a very nice perk to this.  
we can make a new country song WHY DONT WE GET CLEAN AND SCREW... Ill write it.

To anyone having troubles with cleaning up.  When all is said and done, your mind and body repaired.  Amazing things just start to happen, hard tasks are easy, thing are not ever really out of reach, and you are turned in to a home grown porn star....  With the stamina to go along with it.  So much we missed, but when ya get it back, you know it and ya dont for get it.  Love ya guys...  Im gonna go get me some before class. WOOO  HOOOOO. (from my wife)..
I remember reading this thread and had to go back and find it.  It is so true.  For so long I just thought, "Well I guess I'm just getting older and don't care anymore".  No, its just those d a m n pills.  Get the pills out of your system and your sex drive comes back.  

holy crap, thats why I'm going crazy without my boyfriend around, wow. Ok I thought it might be that but wow how nuts is it that so much of yourself gets put on mute when you take oxy's. But at least for me when I was taking them I believed I was better and happier till I became a zombie. It was all fake. I thought I wasn't attracted to my boyfriend anymore which is sooo not the case. Crazy.
i have a question about this subject , it this typical for most ppl after detox?roughly when does this start, i know timelines are different for everyone. i am curious because my hubby has been getting clean for the past week and i knew that his lack ofsex drive was due in part to his addiction  but i didnt know the extent of it. it is has been really hard for me for the last few months because he shows no intrest in sex at all. it can be really frustrating. he refuses to talk about it. i would do it sometimes but i felt more like i was making him do it which just isnt fun. i know the most first priority is getting him clean but hey that is something else to look forward to.
What a subject! Thats Right! I can't say for sure when your hubby's sex drive will come back. I know that this is day 12 clean from Suboxene and my sex drive is going through the roof! We must remember that everyone is different but I cant" keep my hands to myself! LOL! Pheomoon and I had a wonderful night and felt like ourselves sor the first time in a while. I have just been too Damn sick. But good luck with this my friends because this is one of the keys to a healthy relationship.  

sky_is_the_limit
Just thought I'd bump this to encourage any new readers ;)
I think the time line is different for everyone. I think when you get out of the fog and you start putting effort into things other than drug, things just happen.  Not only with sex.  I have also noticed food tastes different or better.  I ate a grape and an orange the other day, it was amazing.  It was like I was a starving child in a 3rd world country eating fruit for the first time.  
It is a very good awakening and I am looking forward to all the old things made new again. All I can say is this is a benefit to being a addict.Once you get clean things are new.  Drives, music, sounds, scents, tastes, feelings, emotion, and SEX (that can encompass a few of the things I just listed) LOL..  
I think this is one of the best parts about getting back to normal! Its happening to me as well. Im single so I still aint getting any. Its been along time I even looked a woman. When I was using she coulda been naked right In front of me. I woulda told her to move because she was blocking the tv!  haha. Not now. Its funny I went to a meeting tonight and realized there were some pretty women there. Now that all my money isnt going to drugs I can do what normal people do. Go on a date, have fun and just enjoy the company of a woman. Lifes great pleasures for sure. Its not about the sex really. Its the companionship. Music sounds so good, food tastes so good. life is getting better. You go boy! live your life and enjoy what we are allowed too.
im 32days clean today off opiots ...im really enjoying the sex drive! i was in in detox in rehab for a week...after that learned alot of tools to stay clean. they did not mention how horny  i became. im 29 yr old female  with a whole new out look on life. my imagination is running wild lol. just for today is what i tell myself! p.s. do it for u!
I shouldn't have searched this question out.  My ex-fiancee was addicted to oxy & other opiates for years.  No sex drive.  Him not desiring me was devastating to me..I didn't know why or what I was dealing with with opiates.  I lived through the insanity of it all for years, took it's toll on me... I bottomed out & had to feelings left whatsoever....I tried hanging in there for so long waiting for him to get help & quit....he reduced to percocets & mentioned he was getting horny alot but we split & I found out he had been seeing someone....He told me he's a new man!!  I'm glad for your all but reading your posts has made me cry.  I can't tell you how low I felt with him having no desire.....And now, I guess he's being the man I always wanted him to be for his new woman.  
OMG-yes-this is just devastating to me.  It's been a year and a half since we split & I'm in the bathroom  here at work crying my eyes out sobbing...  His lack of desire for me nearly killed me.  I have a healthy libido & was in love with him.  I kind of knew it was the opiate addiction but it still devastated me.  And now to hear he's probably getting hard all of the time with someone else is really killing me....  Before I was wondering if he remembered even loving me because of the blur from opiates everyone reports - and now it's killing me thinking his senses are alive & he's enjoying that with HER after I suffered for years....  Jeez - he has a new life with everything wonderful and I was left devastated & broken & needing something like Nar-Anon because of his selfish addiction..  This is so unfair!!   I really shouldn't have looked this up.  I'm going to be spiraling down again knowing this stuff.  Actually - I've never done those drugs but I'm seriously saying f*** it - I don't want to feel anymore.  I want to be selfish & mean & hateful & numb and start killing the pain.....
Is it ok to hAve sex while detoxing.. My hubby is recovering from herion and I've been lacking sex from him, I feel awful that he can't perform the way he use to..but he's trying when I initiate it.. I miss him so much so I want to make love, but now that we did..I feel as if I pressured him...is it safe to even have sex while a person is detoxing