Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Shortness of Breath

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Shortness of Breath

Anyone have shortness of breath on Hydrocodone?
there are some ppl here w/ medical bakground that will more than likely answer this for you later on today. I am almost 100% positive that hydrocodone has an antihistimine in it. which can cause breathing problems.

hope this has helped you...

luv ya,
tink :)
Yes!How much are you taking at once.and how many times a day?
I have been taking up to six a day spread out through the day, went off them today CT,  Been on for about 6 years
rollerskate is correct about the vicodin. There are few medications with hydrocodone and an antihistamine. One is what I take, Tussionex- 12 hr. ext. release hydrocodone with chlorpheniramine(same antihistamine that dimmetapp uses). Anyhow, the reason you are having shortness of breath is that you have opiate receptors throughout your cardiopulmonary system. Opiates have traditionally been very good for cough because they slow and or paralyze the lung muscles that contract to make you cough and help dry out mucous secretions. For this reason there is usually a label on prescriptions that have opiates stating not to take more of the medication than prescribed as it can cause severe breathing problems. This will effect other more so than normal. If this is the case you should proably lower your dose until you can see your doctor.

xoxo- D.
hydrocodone/vicodin does NOT have an antihistamine in it. All it contains is Hydrocodone and APAP which stands for N-Acetyl-Para-Amino-Phenol or the common name Acetaminophen or Tylenol.. nothing else is in those pills. When we take opiates our body releases histamines and that is why sometimes we get itchy and red eyes too.. taking an anti-histamine along with hydrocodone/vidodin/really any opiate will make it about 30-50 percent more potent mg : mg ,,, so hmm be carefull with the benadryls they'll knock your a$$ out with a couple vicodin.

just don't take so many vicodin and you won't get the short breath. opiates depress breathing too.. so who knows whats causing it.. could be an allergic reaction, could be normal ,, dunno.. you didn't give much infos besides "hydrocodone cause short breath?"
I know this is 2 years later and you may not even be on here anymore, but i need some help with the tussionex addiction and withdrawal. I had severe breathing problems due to it. Now i know for sure the reason why. Please tell me how you are doing now and maybe you can help me. Thanks.
I'm afraid these people haven't been online for years. Please, start your own post thread and you'll get a better response rate.