Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Should I go back on methadone instead of Suboxen?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I started methadone maitanance Nov 1 2011 and stopped it 3 weeks ago and started Suboxen. I never had any opiate cravings while on the methadone but I felt I had traded one addiction for another. At times it really controlled me b/c I felt trapped to stay in town b/c of having to go to the clinic and dose every morning. Not to mention it was embarassing& I s was still spending money on the addiction(methadone). I felt great (the best ever) mentally on the methadone maybe b/c I am wired way differently, I suffer from bipolar disorder and PTSD. Three weeks ago I kicked the methadone(90 mgs liquid) and started Suboxen(2 mg 2x per day) b/c it was free for me (VeteranAdministration provides it for my service connected disability PTSD) and b/c they give me a 30 day supply which means no daily dosing at clinic. So far I mentally felt so much better on the methadone. I am going to give the Suboxen a chance though b/c I may be experiencing a coincidential hypomania episode which makes me anxious and irritated. I also love not going to the clinic daily & not spending money on an opiate blocker. I wonder sometmes if I should go back on methadone b/c my mental health was better but I still felt like an addict on it? Does the benefit outweigh the risk(feeling controlled by methadone dependence)?? Also, b/c I am on suboxen my Dr. will no longer presribe klonipin (klonopin)(I honestly never abused it) b/c it is very dangerous with an opiate blocker. This is a huge issue b/c I have been prescribed it  since 2004 & b/c of my anxiety issues my mental health is deteriorating. Are there any PRN non bezo's I can be prescribed?What to do?
Tags: methadone, Suboxen, Mental Health, PTSD, bipolar disorder and addiction
Is the klonipin (klonopin) generic for clonidine?  I am not a fan of the subpoxone.  Des the treatment center where you went for methadone not provide carries for those who have shown progress and earned trust of the doc?  I also think switching without tapering must be harsh on your body.  I have taken methadone for pain for 14years and my life has been very stable, but in canada at least in the rural areas the doctor writes a script and the private pharmacies dispense the med.  some people do go daily, but those who are stable go weekly. Best to you. Tobygo
HI........I would give the sub a chance it will be a lot ezer to come off of any time you switch your meds there is a chance of a manic episode im bipolar also but the klonipine is a no no with methadone also although people do take both but it can be dangerous I would give it 2 weeks and see how you feel if not better you can always switch back but trust me when I say that stuff is evil to come off of
keep posting for support good luck and God bless.......Gnarly