Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Side effects of Oxycontin and weaning off?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

My cousin has just admitted to his girlfriend that he has been taking 3 Oxycontin's and 1 percocet in one day about three times a week (but really we aren't sure if it had been more). He promised he was going to stop. He had been good for about two months, showing signs of detoxing and everything. But earlier this week there were tell tale signs that he had taken some.

How far in addition might he be if he was use to taking 3 oxy's & 1 perc three times a week?
Since he took it earlier this week he seems to be fine. Should there be sings of him craving it again if he hadn't taken anything since?
its hard to tell addicts lie they dont want to have to give there drugs up .If he is showing signs of using and wding he most likely has a  problem .However he has to want help.
Ya, it is hard to tell. And that's what we're afraid of. I don't know what to expect. The main thing that worries us is that it might increase. His girlfriend is expecting twins very soon, anytime now. It's going to be emotional and tiring with babies let alone quitting. I wonder is wanting/hoping/expecting him to quit successfully far for reality right now?
It sounds like this would be a very good time if someone can get him to realize he has a problems .It will only get worse after the twins are born that I can guarantee because we use are pills as a crutch to deal with stress and to newborns even though they are wonderful they are also REALLY stressful.I would try you and his gf sit down and try to talk to him together ...He will need to get off the pills and get some recovery care ..rehab is the best choice if possible but for many its not.the are alot of outpatient progams..aa/na any recovery care he can get .. That way when stress levels arise he has a support system in place
There are only several ways that this will end........he will reach a stronger stage of addiction and NO amount of oxy's will cure it.  Neither will any amount of money. And he will steal from the family to maintain the addiction. Even Love is not strong enough to break this bond.  Sooner or later he will get caught either stealing to support the habit or getting arrested and doing some jail time ........ or possibly he will pick up a terminal illness - -  I fight with Hepatitis every day and every hour of every day - -  Currently i am what they call "end stage liver disease" - - -  Its not much fun........   But thats exactly where the path that he is on will lead him - - - He will even deny that it could never happen to him - he is stronger than that stuff (Right!!!)  - - -   DENIAL - Dont Even No I am Lying (to myself)................. Good luck!!