Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Sleep after first week of WD

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Sleep after first week of WD

Hi All,

Finally got my act together after a long relapse with Codeine and now 7 days clean, most of the worst WD's are over but the worst is the sleep or lack there of, I know it's just going to be a matter of time before this improves .

Just putting it out there what have other people done during these times when you could only sleep between 2-4 hours per night?

hi there,
congrats on your clean time.I'm 60 days clean today (c/t codeine). Sleep  or lack of is one of the lingering symptoms of w/ds.

For me it's still not quite right yet but i am getting there. Worrying about it just makes it worse somehow, so don't lie in bed if you can't sleep, watch a film, read, listen to some music anything except lying there getting madder with yourself by the minute! It's so frustrating but the more we try the less likely it is to happen.

hot baths, dark room, melatonin and relaxation tapes can all help,but (now for the phrase i hated the most on this forum) it will take time!....we didn't get into this mess in 7 days....it certainly took me a lot longer, so we have to be patient, if i'm functioning at 100% in twelve months i'll be happy....it took me 10 years of addiction to realise i had to stop so a 10th of that time for recovery seems a small price to pay.

You're doing great....i do really sympathise with you over this, but you need to be as relaxed about it as possible. I promise it will improve ...you could even get 8 hrs tonight, everyone is different.

Keep up the good work, and once again well done!
Jane x
"Just putting it out there what have other people done during these times when you could only sleep between 2-4 hours per night? "

When I went through detox and couldn't sleep I would take long walks or do some sort of exercise. Even though I felt awful I would force myself to do something and I found over the years of detoxing that it would take my body longer to recover if I just sat around. The more active I was the the faster I recovered and in turn was able to sleep a whole lot better....sooner.

Im into nutrition as well and there are some great natural herbs that help with relaxation.
I tried a lot of OTC stuff but nothing seemed to help. What did help was a productive day at work, a nice evening at home with the family, a good meal, and as much exercise as I could handle - usually walks.
Feeling both physically and mentally satisfied will help; it's not the answer, but it will help.
K
Thanks for the comments everyone..

I think a need to remember that it took me a year and a half to get here so will take time to heal...

Ill keep strong and start a new path..
Yes it takes time to heal.  It is something I keep telling myself.  Everyday we see an improvement, it may be small but it is an improvement.  You also never have to re-live the days you just went through.   Stay strong.
i am so happy to read that you already have a week clean! Congratulations!
  Sleep will return, eventually.  I found that when I finally just accepted that I might not be able to fall asleep, and stopped getting upset about it, i was able to relax enough to drift off.  Reassuring yourself will really help.  This will pass and before you know it, you will be sleeping through the night & it most likely be a better quality of sleep you had before you quit.  Hang in there, everything will continue to improve.