Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
SmokiN!

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

SmokiN!

Any body have any suggestions on HOW TO QUIT SMOKING?  

I'm JUST  55 days CLEAN off of an 8-10 Norco habit a day x's 3 years and just wondering if I should CONQUER another demon at this time and/or wait until I get a little more sobriety under my belt... ??? (from the Norco).

I do have to say that I do enjoy smoking BUT it's starting to WEAR on me and I just wanna be REALLY CLEAN (i.e. from drugs AND smoking)  and not sure if trying to quit smoking NOW is gonna be something I should do NOW and/or wait until I have a little more time under my belt from the opiates....

Any suggestions or comments is appreciated..

Hugs, Prayers and Whinnies,

NorcoQueenoftheUniverse
Norcoqueen - I am with you.. maybe we should try together???  cigs have been the hardest thing Ive ever *thought* about trying to quit (LOL).. Ive never gotten far..  

And IMO the cigs are definitely going to kill me before anything else.. all my older relatives died of smoking related diseases!  Its gotta STOP. I know it does.
You cant quit by taperring (tapering) your cigs. I did the nicotine patch and I was on the patch for 2 months. Havent had a smoke since. Takes will power tho. Wasnt so much the nicotine but just the habbit of lighting up that I missed. Its either ct or nothing when it comes to the cancer sticks. Its easier than quiting the drugs but I think I miss the smokes more than the meds. Good luck.
After quitting the opiates early this year, I tried and tried to keep smoking because it was
the only thing I had to hang onto that made me feel like old times.  However, as time passed and my senses came back to me, taste and smell mostly, I noticed I was smoking fewer and fewer cigs/day.  Then I started noticing that I was putting them out when about 1/2 smoked, then taking a few drags and putting out.  Finally I just could'nt stand the taste and smell of them anymore.  I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Hope you all find the strength to give them up.  Saves a lot of $, not to mention the lungs.
Chantix really helped me quit. But I had only smoked for about 9 mos. after being off them for 22 years. I tried the patch, but I just ended up smoking on it and getting even more of a nicotine buzz. Some people have had success using Wellbutrin too.
I cut down when last year when I came off of sub, but that didnt last long.  I wish I could use Chantix - not an option for me as I have a plethora of sleep issues.  My doc recommended QuickRick's way - cutting down 1/day..
I second the Wellbutrin. It's really odd how it works. You will find yourself smoking fewer and fewer and before you know it, you're wondering when your last one was.... Good luck.
I just quit after over 40 years. I am amazed that I did it. I havent smoked in 6 weeks and 2 days and I'm doing a suboxone taper at the same time. I used the patch (2 not 1) and I sucked on the lozenges. When I got the urge I just said I know it will go with momentarily and it did. I started smoking at 13, quit for 7 years from 40 to 47, smoked til now (60 years old). Every cold was turning into bronchitis or pneumonia. I just had it. Now if I cdan only be so lucky with the opiate LOL.
Also, I tried the Chantrix. The dreams were sooooooo vivid and real I couldn't stand it. The Wellbutrin made me jumjpy and nervous. But both of those options work great for some people.
Chantrix works amazingly well. There are quite a few side effects so use caution. I personally didn't have any side effects except maybe making me a little tired or worn down but nothing too bad. One of the side effects is depression so if you are still having trouble in that area from the withdrawals I wouldn't recommend it as of now. It's something you def have to talk over with your doctor and be honest about your situation. It does have about the best success rate out there. But, if you made it through withdrawals, anything is possible on your own! Best of luck to you.