Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Smoking

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Smoking

My wife is a closet smoker (3-6 cigs/day) but she is also addicted to Nicorette gum which she chews constantly.  I'm having a hard time dealing with both habits.  If the gum is used to quit smoking what can she use to quit the gum?
Avatar n tn
The only thing I suggest from experience is exercise.  the natural high helps and decreases craving for the gum.  I have also heard of several herbal remedies.
Avatar n tn
I smoked for 30 years during which time I tried to quit several times with no sucess.  My doctor prescribed  Wellbutrin (like Zyban) and told me to use the patch along with it.  It worked!
I definately recommend them.
Good luck,
jan
My younger sister used patches for about a year. She would have her 2 smokes in the morning, get her shower and put on her patch. At end of day she would take it off, smoke 2 more and then sleep without it. She never could drop her habit completely until she went to lozenges. She said they finally did it for her.
There are some alternatives nowadays to give up smoking habits. However, you can make her totally give up smoking by taking her to the acupuncturist for laser acupuncture. It is a method that reduces your cravings for smoking.