Snorting Symptoms
So I caught my husband last week snorting his Vicodin pill. He had been sick for about two weeks with a cold/cough and then his tooth got infected. He went to the dentist for the infection and they gave him vicodin for the pain.  Same day he got the medicine is when I catch him snorting one of the pills.  I ask him if he has been snorting anything else?  Which of course just pisses him off, he says no but I'm just not convinced. He said that he only snorted the vicodin because he was in so much pain.  I trust my husband entirely, I just don't trust addicts.  Not that I think my husband is a complete addict but has addict tendencies if that makes sense. Before we met he said that he used to be addicted to Cocaine, he works in environment where pills and drugs are easily available and also has huge anxiety.  Also, my doctor had given me Xanax to sample because of my anxiety which I haven't taken any only my husband because he has no insurance and says that Xanax was the only med that helps his anxiety.  He said he hasn't snorted the Xanax either.

Last night, we are in bed and he gets up to get something to eat (which he does often along with restroom trips at night- he does not sleep well) I hear him eat but I also hear what sounds like snorting.  
Is there something that I should be looking for?  Are there symtoms for people that snort? Am I overreacting here?
"I trust my husband entirely, I just don't trust addicts"  ------ This a classic line - - brilliant and RIGHT ON lady ---  I wish more people 'got it' like you do.  Your husband is very lucky to have you for a wife---- We admire those we can't con or deceive.  Yes, he has a problem - ---  You don't just wake up one day and decide to snort a pill cause you are in pain ---  He has learned that snorting gets the Opiate to the brain faster so he gets a faster rush --- simple ---  If it were only for pain, he could wait the 15 minutes it takes to go to work ---  Something else is wrong and you guys need to get some help --  He is sneaking around to do things and they may not be conducive to a healthy marriage.  I wish you all the best --- you are very astute.
theres got to be a definate concern,i doubt he's snorting his food,thats very unlikely lol.seriousl people just dont snort lortabs,although i've heard of people doing it.,sounds to me like he's trying to get high the fastest way possible.he also shouldn't be taking your xanax.dig in a little deeper,it wont take long before you know whats up
Thank you! You know when you get just a bad gut feeling, that's what I've got. I feel that there is more going on than just what I have encountered.  Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated and needed. Not really sure what else to do here but try and do some research for myself and seek advice on what to look for in addiction.

Also, I could not correct my tag on my post it was only supposed to read: snorting.  Sorry, new to posting.....  
Sometimes you just gotta go with your 'gut' --- that is why God gave it to us -- that inner voice that says "something is wrong with this picture."  Your husband is probably a really nice guy but you hit the nail on the head about an addicts behavior --- most of us, when we were using were in denial and thought we could handle it -- especially guys -- too damned proud to say "help, I am in over my head and need help" --- you sound like a strong lady who can step up and do that for him -- actually even insist on it -- All the best to you. Somehow I think this story is going to have a really good ending.  Please keep posting from time to time and share your story.
I was a snorter, so I'm speaking from first hand experience.  

There are lots of pills you can snort, and lots that you can't because of something that's in it will burn the heck out of your nose.

I remember Vic & Darvocet couldn't be snorted.

Does anyone agree w/me about the Vic?
I never snorted anything but Coke way back 24 yrs ago and some meth even further down the road.  I have a friend who eats (chews up) her somas and lorcet, sometimes she dissolves them in a spoon, says they hit her within 5 mins...but I could never stand the taste, especially the soma taste.  ewww.  nothing like that one.  I imagine if you want that high that fast, then snorting it and the burning wouldn't bother you, imo..I snorted crystal back in the 70s that burned the hell out of my nose, but didn't care then, so...if his pain is that bad, I would think he wouldn't care about the burning.  This is only my opinion, please remember that.  Good luck to you!!  talk to him...
I hate to say it like this, but no one who snorts narcotic pain pills of any kind is trying to get the most out of the pain medicine they are taking if they snort the medicine because the contributing factors to relieving the pain in the pills goes away so much quicker than if you just took it orally. I know this because I've had two different back surgeries, and a variety of different pain related issues since 1999 and I am in severe pain right now as I write this. Mainly heroin addicts, or people just starting of doing drugs do that so they will not withdraw. People that do that from what I've seen usually do not have heroin, and do that sort of thing for the sole reason of a short-lived head rush they get by snorting it till they get them some actual heroin, because pain pills do not get them high enough anymore, but gets them by, and high temporally.