Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Soma is a narcotic???

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Soma is a narcotic???

I have been on my share of pain killers and muscle relaxers, including Soma.  I was talking to someone and they said Soma was a narcotic.  I didn't think so, so I looked it up and found this:

Soma
Soma (generic name carisoprodol) is a narcotic muscle relaxer more cautiously prescribed than other muscle relaxers, especially if a patient is taking narcotic pain medication.

Cautions: Soma is metabolized by the liver and excreted by the kidney, thus caution should be taken if patient has compromised kidney or liver functioning. This is important to avoid the excess accumulation of the drug in the body. Soma is a narcotic and should not be taken in conjunction with alcohol, psychotropic drugs or central nervous system depressants.

I didn't know it was a narcotic...
I do know that it is classified as one and dr's prefer not to give it out due to its addictive properties but I do take it quite frequently for a few months in the winter when the wether is cold my body hurts reallt bad from a car accident I was in.  Although it is classfied as one I am not sure it works in the same way other narcotics do.  Your explaination of the liver and kidney make me understand why they are so hesitant to give it out but do know it is about the only muscle rexaler that doesnt totally knock me out or make me feel weird after taking it.  I do know that if you havent taken one in a while and drink a beer feels fantastic but that is probably why it is classified the way it is.
Yep. its a narcotic.. and can be addictive..
YEARS AGO SOMA WAS CLASSIFIED AS A SCHEDULE IV CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE. HOWEVER IT WAS CHANGED TO A SCHEDULE III CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE. BECAUSE OF THE POTENTIAL FOR ABUSE AND ADDICTION, THIS WAS HOW I WAS FIRST INTRODUCED TO THE COMBINATION OF SOMA AND HYDRO WHICH PRODUCES ONE OF THE MOST ADDICTING HIGHS I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. THE ADDICTIVE DRUG IN IT IS CALLED MILLTOWN AN OLD TRANQUILIZER PRESCRIBED SOME 20 YEARS AGO. BUT THIS IS A SNEAKY DRUG BECAUSE YOUR BODY BUILDS A TOLERANCE TO IT RATHER QUICKLY. I REMEMBER ONE FRIEND OF MINE WOULD TAKE 6 SOMA AND 4 OR 5 VIC ES. SHE WOULD BE SO OUT OF IT FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES THAT IT SCARED ALOT OF US WHO WOULD WITNESS THIS. I HAD ANOTHER FRIEND THAT WOULD TAKE IT TO TRY AND CATCH THAT BUZZ IT USE TO PRODUCE BEFORE YOUR SYSTEM BECAME TOLERANT TO IT. HE WOULD BLACK OUT LOOSE ALL MOTOR SKILLS AND PASS OUT. HE ENDED UP IN THE EMERGENCY ROOM AND ADMITTED TO THE HOSPITAL BECAUSE THEY THOUGHT HE WAS TRYING TO KILL HIMSELF. AND THE DEA WATCHES DOCTORS THAT PRESRIBE THIS MEDICATION, MONTH AFTER MONTH TO PATIENTS... TALE A MINUTE AND LOOK UP THE DRUG MILTOWN AND READ ABOUT IT. THE DRS CHOICE TODAY FOR MUSCLE RELAXERS SEEM TO BE FLEXARIL, DAYPRO, PARA FORTE, SKELAXIN, TRUST ME NONE OF THEN COME CLOSE TO HAVING THE ADDICTION POTENTIAL AS (SOMA) ESPECIALLY THE ONE THAT SAY (DAN) ON ONE SIDE. THE GIRL I MENTIONED HAD 5 DOCTORS WRITTING SOMA AND VICS FOR HER. I DONT KNOW HOW SHE DID IT WITHOUT GETTING CAUGHT. BUT AT THE TIME I DONT THINK FLORIDA HAD A DRUG DATA BASE TO PICK UP ON DRUG DIVERSION OR DR SHOPPING. SHE THOUGHT BECAUSE SHE PAID CASH SHE WAS ALL SET. SHE NEVER FORGED OR CALLED IN A FAKE RX SHE JUST HAD MULTIPLE DRS. THEN SHE WAS DX: W/ STAGE 4 OVARIAN CANCER AND MOVED BACK TO NEW ENGLAND. I NOT HEARD FROM HER FOR 2 YEARS NOW SO I DONT KNOW WHAT GOING ON. WHAT REALY IS MAKING ME SICK AT THIS VERY MOMENT IS TO MY LEFT OF THIS PAGE THERES AN AD FOR SOMA AT A SPECIAL PRICE? STRANGE I HAVE ALSO NOTICED ADS FOR LORTAB ON THIS POST SITE. DOES ANY ONE ELSE TAKE OFFENSE TO THIS FORM OF ADVERTISING ON AN ADDICTION FORUM.  
I have tried both Soma & Baclofin for muscle tightness from an accident & MS. On generic Soma I did find it more sedative than Baclofin and probably a bit more effective but I can see how Soma can become addictive. That's why I alternate between the two. And yes its a great anti-anxiety but expect a long nap on it at first, its strong and even though no Dr has said its a narcotic, it has all the effects of one.