Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Soma

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Soma

Please let me know what soma is and why my brother is acting the way he is now that he is taking this?  He recently was falling asleep and then grunting loudly and then after eating something, he seemed better.  He has since acted like he does not know what we are talking about.  At first I thought he was having a seizure and was ready to take him to the emergency room.  My Mom says he takes it in the car and takes shots of it during the day.  Should we be as concerned as we are?  Please e-mail me as soon as possile at ***@****.  Thanks a lot!
Tags: Addiction
i did not no somawas addictive although i kindof thought it was due tom the fact i have been taken it off and on for three years .       now i take i get 60 pills amonth and i take all60 of them up in less than 2 weeks iwas given no information on the drug.or any of its  serious side affects . now the drug does not even phase me unless i take more than the recommended dosage .
Soma is very very addictive and very evil! Withdrawls are some of the worst I've seen!!!!!  Get of it now before it is to late. Also taking to much of this drug can slow the hart down and stop it.

I have been on soma for over a year, I also take percocet and xanax, and the soma is by far the most pwerfull med I have ever taken, It is not evil, thats just stupid, it is somewhat addictive though, I took 3  a day for over a year and stoped pretty quickly and the wihdraw was not that bad, not as bad as Percocet [oxycodone] I started taking the soma again a few months ago, I dont understand why is not a controled substance though. Alot of people I talk to say that the soma reminds them of qualudes, Witch wee takin of the market in 1984, I hope that doesent happen to soma,
Just be carefull if your taking them, any more than 10 pills can kill you,  
This is personaly directed specificaly at FD, you say the withdrawls of Soma are not bad, I beg to differ!!!!!!!! I myself was taking 30 10mg of hydrocodone and 6mg of xanax a day with my 6 to 8 Soma's a day.... When I quit the hydro and xanax I used the Soma to help cope with withdrawls. Once I felt that I was threw the bad times I nievely (not knowing) flushed the Soma. About 8 hours later I started the real withdrawls. I'm not talking about feeling bad, I was out of commision. All of the muscles in my body became stiff, as in unbendable!!!! 36 hours later I was throwing up fire uncontrollabley. I really thought I was going to die. I direct this at you, because of the same combanation we have in comon.I since learned when mixingdowners they become more serious. Others I have since learned on these meds, go threw 6 to 12 months of methodone to get clean. I had a doctor tell me that herion junkies on the street would kill for these. And have heard the phrase Soma Head.. You really need to look up the definition of this and what happens in the body when mixed. All of the withdrawls were bad and felt like they would never end, but I have to say the worst was the speeding. Don't get me wrong, I love speed, but this was like 3 weeks of no sleep, no matter what I took. I was not just speeding I was vibrating, because I was going so fast. I keptwaiting for itto stop and about 3 weeks later I was finally down to just twitching. Ye and it all still sucks, I probably could get back to were I was again without anybody twisting my arm, but the withdrawls that felt like an eternity of hell will keep me from it. I wish you would take this more seriouly, because living life high is an escape from what ever your problems are, but there are other esapes or at least only esape once a week or so.
I would like to hear your thoughts on my input, so I will check the Forum for it frequently. One more thing, I personaly think that your withdrawls from Soma were not bad because you also have percet and xanax. That is like an alcoholic saying," I quit the wiskey and only drink beer now".
It sounds like you quit "cold 'turky" You cant do that with any meds, I take my meds for neck pain, I dont know what you were taking them for, you were taking vicoden, They are not as strong as percocet-"oxycodone" and comming off of soma is no where near as bad as comming off oxycodone, I have been taking these meds for 5 years without any problems, I dont know why you had such a bad time with them inless you dident take them the way your doc said,  ;.;.;.;.;.
It sounds like you quit "cold 'turky" You cant
do that with any meds, I take my meds for neck
pain, I dont know what you were taking them
for, you were taking vicoden, They are not as
strong as percocet-"oxycodone" and comming off
of soma is no where near as bad as comming off
oxycodone, I have been taking these meds for 5
years without any problems, I dont know why you
had such a bad time with them inless you dident
take them the way your doc said,  ;.;.;.;.;.
Is this soma the kind used in religous rites and is it derived from the milkweed plant  asclepias acida
To Robert;.;.
No, The soma we are talking about is a drug called carisoprodol. Its a muscle relaxent that came out in the 1950s, And was used as a tranqulizer, It some how turns into meprobamate in your system after you eat it, Meprobamate is the drug in Miltown and Equanil, I dont know why they called it soma, every time I punch in the word soma on a search engin, all this  religous stuff comes up;.;??;..;?????
I've recently bee prescribed Soma for TMJ.  I'm not sure how to describe this but it makes me "herky jerky".  I mean it makes my arms and hands sort of jerk around and I don't have any control over it.  It's sort of like twitching but more abrupt.  This is supposed to relax my muscles but it seems to be having some sort of an opposite effect on me.  It also makes my mouth ver dry and it gives me that feeling that you get when you been swimming for a long period of time.  That really heavy feeling when you get out of the pool.  My dentist doesn't seem to be very knowlegeble about alternatives.  I'm hoping that someone here might have a sugguestion for an alternative treatment that I might be able to bring to his attention.
That is an unusual reaction to Soma.  There are many other muscle relaxants your dentist can prescribe.  Also, is he planning on trying to resolve the TMJ or simply use medicine to treat the symptoms?  Finally, Soma is VERY addictive and is not a good choice of drug for most conditions.
My regular dentist doesn't treat TMJ so I had to find someone that did.  I've only see this man once and he is the one that prescribed Soma for me.  He is planning to treat the TMJ.  Although I'm feeling frustrated with him because when I saw him for the consultation he spoke briefly about TMJ, took an x-ray and didn't examine me at all.  He spent almost the entire time talking about insurance and what they would and wouldn't pay for.  So I gave him a call today to discuss the problem I am having with the Soma and he seemed put off as though I was bothering him.  He simply said, "well, I don't know of any other medication that you could try so you need to give your family doctor a call".  I wouldn't see my OB/GYN for an ingrown toenail so why would I go see a GP for TMJ, especially when I'm under the care of a dentist that supposedly treats this problem.  My regular dentist was kind enough to find someone else in my area that treats TMJ so I will be picking up my x-rays from Dr. "no help" and seeing the new dentist on Wed.  I did make a call to the pharmasist and he said my reaction to the med. is very unusual.  I also called my regular that I see on very rare occasions and he told me that everyone he knows of that has taken Soma has had very bad side effects from it.  So, just call me confused!!!!  Sorry to ramble on, I guess I'm venting.  Thank you for responding to my post and wish me luck!!
I'm glad you're seeing someone else for your TMJ, the other guy sounds like a jerk.  Good luck.
My drs. have me on Soma for neck pain, 350 mg. 3 times a day. I am also taking Gabapentin (Neurontin), 2400 mg. a day, Prozac, 20 mg. a day, Xanax, 1 mg. twice a day, Abilify, 2.5 mg. a day, and Relafen, 500 mg, twice a day. These have been prescribed for anxiety and panic attacks, bipolar disorder, depression, neck and back pain. I am gradually taking myself off of many of these drugs because I still have panic attacks daily, I still have severe mood swings and am pretty much confined to my home unless someone is with me, and I still hurt all the time. I feel like the only thing I'm doing taking all these drugs is damaging all of my internal organs -- liver, kidneys, stomach, etc. My sister was addicted to Soma and had to go to rehab for a month to withdraw. She said it was awful. My daughter is also bipolar and she controls it with herbal teas. I think I will try that.
i find this insane. is it just me that thinks somas NOT addictive? Ive said time and again there are no withdrawls from it because its not physically addictive. This person mustve had w/d's from the pain meds and blamed it on the soma. Its ridiculous. Soma is the only thing that can calm me down (better than benzos) and works for my moms neck pain. back in the days when i was ordering 120 every week, when Id run out I was fine. Didnt even care that I didnt have em. No w/d's. I dont understand why people hate it so much.
I have this to say about Soma. My Dr. put me on that 3-4 times a day PLUS Vicodin 3-4 times a day SEVEN years ago for severe lower back pain and "fibromyalgia" ...OK, I am thinking. I had a VERY physical job and it DID help when I would take 2 of each EVERY morning just to do my job. Well, time went on and I needed more of both to just do my job. It got to the point I had to stop working. That was a year ago. I just decided a couple months ago I wanted to go off these drugs my Dr. SAYS I can't live without. OK, so I have a nice Pharmacist who has been helping me. He told me how to C/T from the Vicodin at home and this is day 7 for me off the vicodin and now I am tyring to keep the Soma to NO MORE than 2 a day and that's later in the day. I have to say the first 4 days of C/T off the Vicodin were not very comfortable...Felt like the flu as so many have said. Had a HORRIBLE headache I couldn't shade on day 3 but after that each day seems a little better. I tell you one thing I will NEVER take that drug again. As for the Soma, I too, heard it was very addicting. My Dr. even told me I would have to go into Rehab to get off of it should I decide to do that. Hell, he'd prescribe it the rest of my life, I am sure, to keep me coming back. But I will hopefully tackley that problem after I get a handle on the vicodin. Have to say don't feel the same taking just the Soma without the Vicodin. lol MAN, I was hooked and didn't even know it. :) BUT life is looking better and better each day thanks to this site. OK again I am hearing that Soma is very addicting but I'll let you know if I conquer that, too. OK have a good day   ...Precious Pearl
you dont need rehab to quit soma. Like Ive said, Ive taken 20-30 in a day (never passed out, ok half the time i did lol) but seriously, When I used to order it online Id go thru 120 a week. When I didnt have any I didnt care. Sure it wouldve been nice to have em but oh well. I know its different for everyone but its not physically addicting. I think the mistake you guys are making is taking it with vicodin then when you run out of both you feel like c r a p. then you blame it on the soma. there is nothing wrong with it in my book.
GOOD to hear, Bettie, How long did you take the Soma may I ask? I am concerned because I was on it and still am for 7 years Dr. prescribed...I was up to 4-6 per day and this past week when I STOPPED the vicodin C/T I cut the soma WAY back to 2 a day and later on in the day. He, also, has me on Buspar which from what I understand is a mild anxiety pill. So now I take 3 Buspar and 2 somas a day and am happy with this for the moment. ONE mountain at a time, I say. :)  So, did you or are you taking anything else when taking the soma? I am just trying to do my research to get ready to come off this drug, also. I honestly feel my pain in MORE in the PILL and the withdrawal than in my body...Thanks for the positive input on getting off the soma. I knew I'd find some answers on this site. Thanks Precious
I still take them because they help my anxiety better than any benzo (valium, xanax) ever has. But I dont HAVE to have them. Not like with the opiates where I HAD to have a few at least in my purse or Id start to panick. I was taking some and percocets and drinking at the time. Right now Im taking zoloft 50mgs multivitamin, b-complex vitamin, estrogen (hysterectomy) and soma. Some days I dont need em but then there are "those" days when I feel like Im gonna put my hand through a wall....you know?
i haven't found Soma to be at all addictive and i am totally addicted to opioids (vicodin, dilaudid,percoset, oxycontin...all of 'em) I'm really trying to get off of the opiates b/c they are the worst and so super addictive. I take so many it is astounding. But a bottle of soma lasts me 2 months (where a bottle of vicodin lasts 2 days). Xanax and ambien i also take, but not too excessively. I'm a total pill head and I am scared...how do I get off the opiates without going into rehab? I am so sick of being dope sick all the time.
here's some info on soma -- sounds like a horrible drug!

http://www.drugs.com/soma.html

god bless you all....
I am going thru dt's from soma. I dont know what to do. I need help.
HI, I have taken SOMA since 1993 for back pain after an accident. my Dr told me its not physically addictive but mentally. Well about 1 month ago I ran out of meds early in the month and had to wait 9 days before I had more. I had no symptoms of withdrawls, i was delighted. I feel sorry for those people who have withdrawls.  Does it usually take longer than 9 days without or can I assume I am not physically addicted?

thanks, janet
Soma is addictive, I have been on it and abused it, it can kill you if you overdose. Your heart is a musle and soma is a musle relaxer, most dr. no longer prescribe it. It is sold on the street here where I live. It is kinda like the old Qauluds that when you drink on them really can mess you up. Bottom line no drug that is prescribed by a Dr. is meant to be used just to get high any meds can have bad side affects and every person is different. Any time a loved one is abusing anything you should be concerned.
the only kind of pill i will take is soma. Hydros,oxy,and xanax i have seen ruin alot of peoples lives.ive takin somas for years on and off for pain because i wont touch anything else.I've never DT'ed from them.but alot of people get carried away and take alot and have to take more and more of them to do anything weather it be to take pain away or get a high off of them !yes i have seen the convulsions looks like a seizure because they take crazy amount its called a soma coma! if you take to much of any drug your body will have a reaction dont blame the drug blame the person takin it and letting it do that to their bodies.the doctors have recommended doses for a reason!!!!
My husband is prescribed those for back pain along with vics. He loves the somas and says they help way better than the vics. He says he does not feel bad after the Soma is gone like you do with the vics. With all that said I have seen him fall asleep at the dinner table and babble incoherantly, I hate when it is time to refill the soma, I pretty  much cancel him out for about a week or two!! It is very annoying but he says its the only two weeks he gets any relief in his back!!  His problem is more musculare than skelatal I think. We are finding it hard to find a doctor that will listen then just give him pain meds and send him on his way, its really frustrating he is only 31 and works construction, they tell him get another profession, oh ok really easy in this economy and besides he loves his job and is very talented in woodworking. Right now he's getting of the vics and sticking with the soma. We'll see.  Good luck with your brother it soulnd like he's taking way to much maybe you could help him by monitering his intake for him a bit.

My wife has been on Soma for over 5 years now, it and pot are the only drugs she uses. She takes so many she can't talk or walk. She sits over there saying your mean and controling. She smokes 3 pack of  cigaretts a day with her face in the TV warching the View or some other stupid show. She has not worked for 3 years and is 45 of age. Trying to get her off I have talked to the doctors telling them about each other and treatend the dealer Stevo.  She is still getting them from him she may be trading sex I don't know for sure. I have begged and begged for her to quit not just me our sons and her family. When she stops for a day or so she is back to my wife which is great. But then I turn around and she is back on them.
and she brings up and dwells on everything I have done to make her made for over 20 years. It is driving me Crazy really I am so worried.
I just started SOMA the first day i took it i felt very relaxed more comfortable but after the first day it just makes my stress and shoulder pain go away that's about it, i wouldn't worry too much just don't take more than five a day depending on weight and tolerance this is my experience IM not a doctor
My aunt's funeral was today. She was 53 years old when she died last Friday. Her daughter (my cousin) came into her room that Friday night and found her on the floor, dead. She had just gotten a new prescription of Soma's the night before. She would take a months prescription worth of Soma's in a time span sometime as short as only several days. She also used to take them on top of Vicoden's, but Soma's where always her main prolem, especially when she mixed the two medications. Soma is a muscle relaxer, and your heart is a muscle. She has had this addiction for years, and her heart finally just couldnt take it anymore. She had built up such a high tolerance for Soma, she took too many, and overdosed. And now because of this, it left my 18 year old cousin with out a mother, and my uncle with out his wife, and a huge hole in our family. Please be aware of the evils of this drug and how highly addictive it is. Get help for your love one before it is too late, and you are stairing at thier coffin and a feeling of guilt for the rest of your life.
i have been on every pill under the sun and i'm working on kicking hydro's again.  SOMA is a bad deal.  trust me.  i remember passing out in my food at my birthday dinner with my parents, wife, and her parents.  looking back it was a horrible experience.  good luck to all.

***Remember that Dr.'s are taught two things in school:Drugs and knives***
STAY AWAY FROM BOTH AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
hello nice topic
very useful

here are some
info about soma too

http://goo.gl/vuAVu
I am most definitely, without a doubt, completely addicted to soma.  I started abusing it after the passing of my father.  I quickly overdosed and had to be rushed to the ER by my cousin as my husband was out of town. I was "unconscious" or maybe asleep in the hospital for 2 days before I came to.  I couldn't even walk to his car.  Before I overdosed I would take so much that I would sleep for days at a time.  I wouldn't even call it sleep, really, it was more like unconscious.  I've since heard the phrase "soma coma".  That's exactly what it does if you abuse it.  After I overdosed I called my doctor and pharmacy and told them not to prescribe it to me anymore.  However, since then I've been purchasing it online and using it in large amounts again.  It's a different high than opiates like percocet or vicodin etc.. but it's still a high nonetheless. I would recommend staying away from this drug.  I became addicted FAST.  Before I even knew it I couldn't go a day without it.  Also, the fact that your brother is shootintg it is pretty scary.  It's not evil, and may not be addictive to everyone who uses it, (for example, I've never been addicted to opiates, I can take those for pain as directed and not even be tempted to abuse) but the fact that your brother is shooting it points to addiction.  It's pretty scary stuff.  I'm considering rehab to get off of it.  Hope my experience with it helps; good luck to you and your family.
I have a friend who asked me to pick up somas that he had delivered to his grandmothers house because they dont deliver to the state of Texas.  I'm assuming it is a month supply and here it has been a week and he's asking me to pick the soma at his grandmothers house again to mail out to texas.  This guy talks about how he passes out, has migraines, back is hurting, throwing up, all of these things to make me feel sorry for him.  I wrote a letter to his brother that I was worried he was addicted because he also had me getting him vicodon as well and would go crazy on me if I didnt.  I got no response back from his brother.  After researching and reading this forum about soma I now realize he is addicted.  Thinking about changing my phone number even though I really do care for this person.
my gf gave me soma for alcohol withdrawal. it seems to be helping. i don't know how many mg they are but i only take 1-2 per night. they calm me down and i have no urge to drink. should i be worried about addiction to soma also? I've read all the posts..11yrs worth!  Seems if you take it alone you'll be fine.
I've been taking Soma (carisoprodol) and Vicodin NORCOS for the last year. Some days i would take up to 9 Somas in three pill intervals and other days i would take up to 14 Vicodin. This is all due to a fusion in my back. Every time I kick the pills i get diarrhea really bad and stomach pains. I was off for two weeks but still had that diarrhea. WIll the Diarrhea ever go away? Has anyone took this combination and if they have or just took SOMAS can you help me or tell my if it gets better. My Doc said its fine but I think hes a quack
Honk, this thread may not get you the help you need.  Repost on a new thread that is yours alone so everyone can see it is new.  Go to the orange button on top (ask a question).  Copy and paste your post to start that new thread.  Good luck!
i do kno wthat i have had 10 or more of my family members die from takeing soma350'''you forget you take them an take alot more than  you should an they will kill you...there  good but take only 1 at a time...some foods an drinks make them about 3 times stronger  than they should be...u can stop takeing thim its not that hard to stop but they make you feel good  an so good you dont wont to  ''even make you want to take more than  you should ..you want hurt at all whill your on them an then  forget an take a few more an you will die...this drug works great but its killing alot of our kids...
Please don't tell people to stop taking their medication. If someone is prescribed something that is addictive, I find it very hard to belive that their doctor didn't tell them. Doctors have to be so very careful these days when they prescribe meds. And you can always have your pharmacy tell you as well. As with any medication, by law, they have to list the possible side effects, and if  it can be habit forming. Etc. Etc.
I can tell you by past and present use of Hyrocodone, Soma, and Xanax, that IT IS the opioids that will have you running to the bathroom every 5 minutes....not the Soma (thats a mental addiction) not the Xanax 2mg (also a VERY, VERY BAD MENTAL ADDICTION). I went cold turkey off of Lorcet 10/650 last year and this "Opioid withdraw from HELL" had me PHYSICALLY sick, running to the bathroom for three straight months, throwing up, what felt like, my stomach lining....and the pain in my joint and my bones was undescribable. Major flu like symtoms (symptoms), runny, yet, stopped up nose cold, clammy skin, even though my insides were on fire!  Somas...not bad to get off of , but I missed the "high off my ***" & doing the "Soma Shuffle" feelings. Now, last, but least, XANAX....I have still not been mentally able to stop for more than a couple of days! :( The thoughts that race thru your mind while not having it, although, the reason I got on it was for horrible anxiety and panic attacks...were NOT GOOD at all.! Suicidal thoughts and every other bad thing you could think of. I thought during the first month without the Xanax, that I would have to check myself into a mental hospital so I wouldnt harm myself or others. MY only GOOD advice to people who DO get them from the Dr is this: ALWAYS take as prescribed (even though you feel you NEED more to maintain) and if your one of THOSE people who think your above and beyond the TRASH people who get addicted...then ya know what??....YOU COULD WIND UP DEAD WRONG!!! Good luck with your journey, johnny0888. :-))
I agree with what u say about not having severe w/d from soma but just so u know xanax r VERY physically addictive and the physical w/d lasts a long time especially if u quit cold turkey.I believe u said u were n w/d from opiates that severely for3months.that is not normal at all!!That actually sounds like xanax w/d.the worst if opiate w/d is gone n the 1st week.
Hi, folks,

Since this thread is more than 14 years old and the different discussions are making it difficult to follow, we'll close it now.  If you'd like to ask a question or start a new thread, please click the "Post a Question" button near the top of this page.  Thanks!

Claire

________________________________________________________

******** CLOSED DISCUSSION ********

No more comments, please.
We just received a drug use update about combining certain prescription drugs.  Taking hydrocodone, Xanax and Soma together give the same "herion effect' the street drug heroin gives.  It is a dangerous combination.  And drs. and nurses are being cautioned to watch out for these deadly combination of drugs prescribed for people.

We've had patients say that they don't take these drugs all at once, but they finally do admit that they will take them within an hour or two of having taken one of the other!

Get off of Soma is the answer, it doesn't mix well and many people have bad side effects over them and often do experience withdrawals from stopping it.
The only thing that got me off opiates is methadone. Its a very long process but so is your addiction. Its works once you get to the right dose you will not longer need any opiates to make it thorough the day. However you will still be an addict. Your addiction is not about to give up. Everyone on methadone will agree that benzos and methadone are a great combo, this will kill you. 10 people at my clinic did so far this year and it only August. So once on methadone get stable, quit all drugs, get help for or continue to get help for your anxiety, depression, and any other root causes belonging to your addiction. It can be done I quit opiates, benzos, crack, marijuana. One day at a time. You can make it through today. Don't worry about tomorrow until then.