Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Spasms from Methadone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Spasms from Methadone

I am on 35mg of Methadone a day and about level out at 40mg.  However, I get muscle spasms all the time and they are annoying.  I also get dizzyness a lot as if I'm going to pass out.  Could this be from the methadone?  Most of the spasms that I have heard of are only relating to withdrawals.  At night when I wake up from sleeping and go to sit on the side of the bed and end up dozing back off I get like an electrical shock that jolts me awake suddenly!  It's kind of scary actually.  The other spasms are less shocking, and mostly happen when I go to lay down to take a nap or sleep.  I came onto to the Methadone to get off of the Opium Tincture that I was doing.  I was still doing 2ml here and then 2 ml there while on the Methadone; could that be what has been causing the above side effects?  Grant you I have since stopped taking the Opium all together but it hasn't been long enough for me to actually be able to tell yet.  It's either that combination whcih is my own fault, or the Methadone itself.  Just wanted to know if anyone out there has experienced these spasms like this either from the Methadone itself or by the combination of that and other drugs.  Now I also take Effexor (anti-deppressant) and Seroquel to help me sleep.  Could that along with the Methdaone be causing it as I read somewhere than sometimes Methadone can interact with other medications.  

billstrong1969
I take Effexor and I've taken soma recently for back pain.  I have noticed a spasm happening frequently.  It's really scary....  Maybe it is the Effexor.  How much are you on?