Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Still have a cocktail after drug abuse?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Still have a cocktail after drug abuse?

Many say that addicts need to steer clear from alcohol- that alcohol is the piece that leads us to the messed up puzzle of us using again...
My question is... do you still drink and manage to stay away from doing what has gotten us here (using) or do you positively stay clear from alcohol?      just curious- would like to hear peoples thoughts on this
31%
 (12) 
I do not drink
39%
 (15) 
I can drink without any problems or temptations
13%
 (5) 
A glass of wine/beer here and there- only at home
15%
 (6) 
drinking caused me to relapse- no can do
38 Members voted
I look at it this way drugs were not a problem for years before they became the problem .There is just as great of a chance drinking at some point would be a problem .Addiction have a nasty habit of crossing from one thing to another I am doing the best I can to prevent it .
I was a raging alcoholic for years.......been 7 yrs sober now.  Alcohol will sneak up on ya too so have to be very careful......sara
Since alcohol is a drug its best left out of the mix. I'm 10 years clean in june(yay) and now 1 and a half years sober. During the last one and half years of being sober I allowed my self alcohol on three occasions (vacations in Mexico and a wedding) and did not abuse it. but it was definitely a bad mistake, which if I had not put in check ASAP could have caused myself self destruction. Please Leave It Out Of The Mix. Learn to educate your palate with some Kombucha tea pronounced (kom-boo-cha) it is a chinese tea that is delicately cultured for 30 days and has less than 0.5% alcohol per 16 ozs which is considered trace amounts. I drink about 3 bottles a week. The brand I drink is called Synergy. It is high in probiotics and amino acids it also has wonderful natural organic antioxidant properties . Its about $3 a bottle and has a little bit of a bite to it so you might just like it a little bit.   much Love much Light.... jimi (little wing =0)
I definitely recommend that people newly clean steer clear of alcohol. It will weaken your resolve. I don't see a problem with a few,occasional, social drinks later on though. The last drink I had though was rum & eggnog at Christmas.
Like someone said above .......be careful it's very easy to switch addictions.
I never was a big drinker. Every blue moon I may have a glass of wine or a beer.
It gives me migraines...not worth the pain.

Terry
i'm quite sure that many an addict will tell you that alcohol was the gateway for them relapsing on their drug of choice.

I used to drink and abuse street drugs bad when i was 15 i had all the 10 signs of an alcohlic, and a drug addict. I never drank a drop for over 20 years, then after i was hurt at work and sliped into addiction I started drinking and would start at 730 am and drink and use my drugs oxy percs soma and kolonipin untill i passed out. I stoped drinking a year and a half ago and have no intention of ever touching another drop!!!
There is know such things as "one Beer" in MY book. It turns into a scary downward spiral. I don`t want to go there again. What is weird is there have been times when I`m at a traffic light or a side street and pass a licqour store and my mouth will actually start to water! Man I don`t ever want to mess w/ that beast again. But it would be easy too.

Brrrrad                            Stay Strong
I did stop drinking completely for about 2 months, and since then I have had a couple beer here and there at the golf course with friends. I no longer get drunk or go to bars to drink, I know my limits. Alcohol has caused me to relapse in the past, but I honestly drink about 2-3 beer a week at the course and that is it. I know it may sound foolish to some I still have a few, but it's my choice, so there, lol. I have a lot of incentive to stay clean now, i refuse to lose what I have worked for and using just once would destroy me, it won't happen:)
It's not a problem for me. Of course, I rarely drink.
I like to get down to the pub once in a while but I rarely have the time or inclination anymore.
We'll pick up a bottle of wine for dinner, but that's mostly it nowadays. I also don't care for the feeling of being sloppy drunk.

It doesn't help smoking is illegal in bars, Also. I'm a purist. If I can't have a cigarette without my drink...there's just no point!!! *sob* :->
drinking does not cloud my judgement of using drugs again. that really is not a battle for me anymore.
but i can see that the drinking can and probably is becoming a problem. and i am probably more suseptible to becoming an alcoholic since i was addicted already. i don't drink all the time, but when i do it is hard to limit it and yea it is a problem and i should deal with it before i am in big trouble again.
thanks for the reminder.
Alcohol is a drug.

CATUF
1432
I can take it or leave it.   Personaly, I think everyone who is dealing with a drug issue should stear clear of the alcohol for a few months untill the drug issue is behind them and then, use common sense with the drinking.  No need to exchange one problem for another.

Ella  :)
one question. is it really worth the risk of another dance with the devil? i didn't leave he!! on earth to play with fire---it got bad enough for me to realize my poison comes in all sorts of bottles---some from a pharmacy and some from the liquor store.
Remember, no one has ever been a drunk without drinking, and no one ever became a drugie without taking drugs. Drinking is our right, but as a right we also have the right to say no. For those how do drink just remember how that drug abuse sliped into your life you didnt relize it until you were addicted. Please be careful ok!!
CATUF said it best.
ditto !!!
i hate alcohol. never liked it. never wanted anything except opiates. more specifically oxys or dilaudid- i didnt even really like the big H. just opiates. and i have tried it all. believe me. well all but crack. but i probably would have if i was givin it. (isnt that terrible??) back to the booze... thats one of my husbands biggest demons. beer is like water to him he could go through a 30 in one night easy. neither one of us even think twice before turning down the "can i get you something to drink" question. him because it will start him down a bad road, me cuz i dont like it. i agree with catuf except- alcohol is not just a drug, its in my opinion the MOST dangerous drug. its legal, its everywhere, more people drink than dont, and get behind the wheel and you have a deadly weapon.  again i hate alcohol. and i have good reason to. drinking during recovery would just be not so smart...its a slippery, slippery slope.

*Kristen*
In aftercare  and a lot of alanon classes the one main theme that is imprinted on my brain is  for an addict to know their "triggers".    And for the loved ones supporting an addict to know what the triggers are for the addict that can  lead to use.    My daughter's doc was oxy......   but thinking she could drink responsibly was a huge mistake, for her  and unfortunately for the ones that love her.  Alcohol lowers inihibitions, and it  really doesn't help with the "rational" part of the brain.    For all of those reasons my daughter can NOT drink,  not one beer,  and I/we see that rule  as forever.

To be comletely honest with you, at first I was so selfish thinking that it would be an "inconvience" not being able to have a good glass of wine with dinner,  or a beer at the fb/bb games.......   how stupid is that???   Oxy almost killed my daughter,  and now that she is clean I am going to whine thinking that a silly game or dinner party won't be "the same" because there will not be any drinks in our home again,  or a cold beer to at the arena?        What a very small, insignificant "sacrafice" to have my beautiful daughter healthy and happy, with her incredible heart in all of our lives again    to watch her thrive and grow stronger every day......    

And I thought I was a fairly smart woman,  but how very foolish I was when I first began this journey :)       All I can say is know your triggers,  know what may diminish your resolve for sobriety,   and make darn sure those in your life respect and know how to support you in all  ways.  You deserve no less.        IMHO  and for our lives,  to have a drink is not an option.
There are very few drinks I actually like, so I may have 1 drink on a holiday...or not. But I know if I went out and got drunk and a big old pain pill walked by, I'd be taking a bite. Drinking absolutley lessens your resolve to stay clean. Just the thought of being drunk and a hangover makes me sick. Hangovers are to close to feeling like withdrawals. UGH!!!!
I also recommend newly clean individuals should stay clear of alcohol.  I know someone who turned to alcohol to replace her drugs.  I also know a good friend who lost a lot of weight from gastric bypass and she turned to wine.  She ended up drunk all the time.  It seems that addictive personalities often substitute their addiction with something else.  I would suggest shopping instead!  LOL!!!! Seriously, that would break the pocketbook!
Hugs,
Janet