Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Sub Users - Please take the time to read this whole writeup

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

What does Vanish, Finish, Airwick, French’s Mustard, Lysol, Veet and dozens of other products have in common with Suboxone. They are all made by an English company called Reckitt Benckister. On the cover of the 2008 Annual Report is a picture of a product called Cillit BANG Power Cleaner. If you look at their 16 page summary of their 84 page annual report, Suboxone is not mentioned. In looking at page 18 of the 2008 Business Review (in annual report) they have a category called Pharmaceuticals of one product, can you guess what that is. In Europe they partnered with Schering Plough (based in New Jersey) to distribute Subs. But in the good ole USA they market it directly themselves, not teaming up with a pharmaceutical company to distribute Subs in America. They also state as a direct quote on page 16 " As with all prescription drugs, the protection of this business has a finite term unless replaced with new treatments or forms. Therefore, the revenue and income of this business may not be sustained going forward unless replaced with new treatments or forms, on which the Company is actively working. At the same time, the Company is engaged in developing potential new treatments with third parties that would have either patent protection or market exclusivity in similar areas to where it is active today."  They know they have issues with Subs.

This could all end very soon in the USA – (as stated on page 22 of its 2008 annual report):

“As a result of its Orphan Drug Status, Suboxone has exclusivity in the USA until the end of September 2009 and in Europe until 2016. Within the Pharmaceuticals division, the US Suboxone business generated net revenue of £285m and adjusted operating profit of £172m. While the Group continues to search for ways to offset the impact of the loss of exclusivity in the USA at the end of September 2009, up to 80% of the revenues and profits of that business might be lost to generic competition in 2010, with the possibility of further erosion thereafter.”

However as a generic drug there will be no incentives for anyone to develop useful programs to help us with W/D. There may be some cost savings coming but a host of new problems in the USA for people on Suboxone, The cash cow in the USA may be ending this year.

I am not reporting this to be negative but just to paint a realistic picture that this product is not in the main core of business. The product worked for me so far day 22. But my suffering could have been diminished by so much if I had more information.

If you have read my previous writings I have stated things that this pretty much confirms. Please understand that when you start Subs they can work. But you need more information than most of us are receiving ,

I am very analytical and only trying to help folks. If you do not agree or find no value that is okay. Disregard this. As Bob Dylan said many years ago “Its life and life only”. I guess I have too much time on my hands as the job market has not been kind to me which is mostly self inflicted!

I found the article and information quite good and pertinent.
So what will happen then? Put every one on methadone?? yeah thats wise. HA

thank you for the information. very informative
Who would have thought, 50 years ago, that a time would come when there would be over a quarter of a billion dollars *profit* in marketing a product created for the sole purpose of weaning people off an addictive drug, a product that is itself addictive as hell?  Not to mention that the addictive drug, methadone, came into being to treat addiction to heroin, which was, in turn, etc. etc.

Every time I go to a pharmacy and see the displays of products to help people quit smoking, it seems like the very existence of such products, and the fact that there is a lot of money to be made selling them, would be enough to deter kids from starting to smoke.  After all, teenagers don't like to feel like patsies any more than anyone else.  Go figure.
Whoa,  I need a smoke to digest all of this.
It's actually Reckitt Benckiser - I know, I know, I'm a beyotch I'm sorry but I just can't help it!! lol The politics of sub and marketing and all that is astounding.... which is the majority of the problem with sub treatment as a whole. I mean, this extends to substance abuse treatment in general but sub specifically. I have some conspiracy theories myself just like the next person who was burnt on sub does but I personally had a great experience with the company directly. I couldn't afford to pay for sub treatment and got lucky enough to find a program, ran by reckitt benckiser that provided free suboxone to people like me. I only had to pay for a sub script once, and ever since then my suboxone was provided for free to me every month. So I have to say that my direct experience with them was great although I know there's more to the ethics of it than just my experience.... lost my train of thought - cr@p!!
The article said the income generated was 285 million British Pounds, which amounts $442 million USDollars!  Even more than you thought, eh?