Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Suboxen Doctor prescribing clonazepam to a addict

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I have a very important question, My fiance is taking suboxen for opiate addiction, I am concerned his suboxen Doctor prescribes him 1 mg clonazepam 2 times a day, he's now abusing the clonazepam he is taking from 7-12 sometimes more a day.  So my question is  should he even be taking clonazepam knowing he's a addict, and How can a  Suboxen Doctor  prescribe something that's addicting to an addict. It makes no sense to me. If I call his suboxen Doctor and tell him he has been abusing the clonazepam can he stop the treatment of suboxen? he takes them everyday and still has not gone back to using so the suboxone is helping. He is now just abusing the clonazepam.
Benzo prescriptions for people taking suboxone is fairly common. Is it wise? Probably not, but it happens. He needs to stop abusing the Klonopin for the main reason that he's in danger of shutting down his breathing. Can his doctor release him? Yes (although it would be hypocritical in my opinion since he prescribed them knowing his history). Will he? I can't answer that. I think he needs to know regardless. The abuse of benzos along with Suboxone is deadly. It think his health should come first.
Sounds like a typical Doctor to me (I’ve lost my trust). I'm sure your fiancé is having anxiety problems since he has ditched the opiates. Clonazepam (or other benzo's) are usually prescribed for the withdrawal period and maybe an additional week or so. It sounds like he has been prescribed a lot and that is not protocol for coming off opiates, again it's just to get you through about 10 to 14 days or so. This is all assuming that he does not have an underlying anxiety problem that was a problem before the opiates?

TD
Isn't 7-12 mg of that a ton?
When I started Suboxone I was on Clonazepam. My Dr said that I could NOT take it while on Suboxone. If he is abusing the Kolonopin then he is back to using! He has just put down the one drug and picked up Kolonopin. In my opinion the Dr might not kick him out of the Sub treatment but maybe talk to him about abusing it (that is how my Dr is for the first time you mess up) but then he may just up and kick him out no questions asked. Have you talked to him about abusing them?
Benzo's in high doses with suboxone is dangerous - worse case it can kill you.  Read the warning on the suboxone insert.  Your fiance will want to be very careful - have you tried talking with him about this?  Benzo addiction is no fun quitting either, stop before it gets worse.
HE HAS BEEN ON SOBOXEN FOR ALMOST THREE YEARS, AND JUST STARTED  CLONAZEPAM ABOUT 6 MONTHS AGO!
SORRY,,,, YES I TALK TO HIM ALL THE TIME ABOUT IT.. I DON'T BELIEVE HE NEEDS THE CLONAZEPEM, HE GOES 2-3 WEEKS WITH OUT IT BECAUSE HE WENT THROUGH THEM ALL AND DURING THAT 2-3 WEEKS HE IS OK..
You never said how long he has been on either! I was just giving my opinion! Isn't that what you came for?
First time I ever heard of clonazepam. On RxList.com they mention clonazepam is "habit forming". I can only imagine. When I was in the middle of my WDs I probably could have talked my Doc into something for the bad panic attacks I was having. And knowing me, I'd now be doing double doses of what ever it was he gave me, and asking him for more. "More" has always been a problem with me. I'm an addict.
Clonazepam is the generic name for Klonopin. It's a typical benzo. It's closest benzo cousin is Valium. Regardless, it's dangerous to be taking at those levels with or without the Suboxone.
Suboxone does not stop addiction..nor make a person clean...it satisfies narcotic needs for some but it does not "stick" to the benzo receptors....an addict will cross over.in a heartbeat...alcohol, benzos, barbituates.....an addict is an Addict...and the urge to abuse will be there unless aftercare is part of the program...and a true desire to be clean
Suboxone is not a miracle drug as claimed..."staying" clean takes alot of work and most often a life change...if a person is not willing to do this then sub is merely a maintenence drug///cept when they decide to abuse non-narcotic substances...then there is no "protection"
I have to agree with Worried.  Sub does not cure or stop addiction.  In my opinion, since I was on it for six months before breaking my hip, it made me feel worse after a couple of months.  Suboxone in my opinion is not for every addict who wants to stop.  We (meaning all of us) want instint relief, so we will go to any lengths to get it.  I know,cuz I am that way.  An addict will abuse anything that takes away the pain from within, but it always comes back to bite you.  Thanks for the wise comment, Worried.

Ellen
DID I SAY SOMETHING WRONG, WHY ARE YOU ACTING AS IF I SAID SOMETHING WRONG?  YES THE SUBOXEN DO WORK FOR HIM, IM NOT SPEAKING FOR EVERYONE, HE WAS ADDICTED TO HEROIN FOR 8 YEARS AND THE ONE THING THAT HAS KEPT HIM AWAY FROM HEROIN FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS IS THE SUBOXEN, I AM JUST CONCERNED ABOUT THE KLONOPIN. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND WHY A DOCTOR THATS TREATING SOMEONE WITH ADICTION (addiction) CAN PERCRIBE A BENZO WHEN THEY ARE VERY ADDICTING. I JUST DON'T WANT HIM TO STOP THE SUBOXEN TREATMENT IF I TELL HIM HE'S ABUSING THE BENZO. SORRY IF YOU TOOK SOMETHING I WROTE IN THE WRONG WAY.
I think she was referring to the caps being on when you typed. Most people consider caps to be a form of yelling but I'm sure this wasn't your intention. It also can be straining to the eyes.
Hope this helps clear things up!
i did not read all comments bc im in a hurry but i just got of the phone with the doc setting up a suboxone appointment. he said he read my profile and you CAN NOT TAKE clonazepam with suboxone you can die...they said i have to be off of it for at least 1 week before my appointment.
Hi, folks,

This thread started in 2010 and it's unlikely that the original poster is still  following this discussion, so we'll close it now.  If you have a question or would like to start a new thread, you can do so by clicking the "Post a Question" button at the top of the forum.  Thanks!

Claire

________________________________________________

** CLOSED DISCUSSION**
            NO MORE COMMENTS PLEASE