Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Suboxone Addiction?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Suboxone Addiction?

Why are people getting addicted on Suboxone when it doesn't even get you high? If I understand correctly, taking opiates while on suboxone has no effect.

I know a young man in his 20's who is addicted to snorting Suboxone and I don't understand why?

Any insight from the group would be invaluable!

HI,
Are you sure your not addicted to the actual act of snorting a med? Did you used to also snort your DOC?
  I have heard of this also lived it.
-Dez
OPPS! I just re-read your post... Its NOT your who's snorting, my apologise.
My DOC was OxyContin and yes I did snort it. I have been clean and sober for 101 days through the NA program.
AWSOME Rickcas! Thats a lot of time, congrats. I have the ailment you had, but working on it.
-Dez
When I first started suboxone really all it did was provide the relief from w/d's and I didnt notice any pleasurable effects. After about 4-6wks I couldnt hardly get out of bed before my sub dose hit me and I would get a rush of energy/slight body high. I can tell you first hand that it can become very addicting and w/d's vary from person to person. Suboxone is still a type of opiate so it should come as no surprise that it can be addictive. Buprenorphine binds to the receptors and blocks other full agonist opiates, while the naloxone prevents people from shooting it. I dont know what kind of effect sub has when its snorted, I never tried snorting it, although I would think it would have less of an effect than if it was taken sublingually. Hope something here helps, have a good weekend, take care.
Tyson is exactly right. Suboxone does get you high. Especially, if you weren't addicted to anything when you first take it or if you haven't done any other drug at all. If you do have addiction to something else when you begin taking it, it takes a little while to begin to notice the high, unless you take a large amount. While on Sub, if your up running around doing things, it's kind of like a speed, (Not as good as real speed though smh.), it gives you a boost of energy. But, of you just hilln on the couch or something, your nodding out. Just like Tyson said, Suboxone is an opiate so it really shouldn't surprise anyone that it's addictive. I've been on it for a year now. When I don't have my dose of it, I feel like crap. I don't even have the energy to get out of bed & I get such a migraine.
Actually, Tyson. You are wrong about 2 things. It is possible to shoot up, unfortunately that's how I do it. Many of the people I know it that way also butnoone I know actually let's it disolve under their tounge. When I first started it, I did infact do it the proper way, but, then I started snorting it & eventually turned to shooting it. I did this because as I went through the different ways, I realized that you get higher from snorting then you do eating it & you get much higher from shooting it then you do snorting it or eating it. It's definitely not healthy to do, but it's addiction that I'm not sure I'm ready to give up.