Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Suboxone Overdose.... arrests, etc.

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Suboxone Overdose.... arrests, etc.

I had never heard of anyone overdosing on Suboxone before...but I am sure it has happened numerous times. Well, an 18 year old girl(non-addict) was given some amount of Sub from a friend, she passed out and died.

The guy that gave her the pills is being charged with first degree reckless homicide. And the girl that passed them on to him is also being charged. (They were prescribed to her)

Its really sad. Sometimes I(and I am guessing others on here do as well) forget how potent and powerful Suboxone is. When I was on Sub, I never worried about the possibility of someone overdosing on my medicine. I never gave my pills to anyone(mainly because I am deathly afraid of something like this happening)...but I have brothers who could have stumbled on them and tried out of curiousity...its something I might have done in my past. Its pretty frightening in hindsight.

I am curious what other people in recovery think about situations like these...specifically the charges brought against the other kids involved. My hometown is very big on prosecuting people that pass on drugs that lead to a death.

I support it. I think its an excellent deterrent. What do you think?
It is sad but stuff like this does  happens .Was she taking any benzodiazpes by any chance there seem to be more issues when the two are mixed .People forget how strong this drug is ,a lot of people don't believe that it is  abused and addicting.I am very sorry for your loss.
Hmmm tuff one..  I can't help but feel differently because these were kids. So young. Yes I think the one who gave it to her should be charged.    But.......then I think of myself in the height of my addiction.  I wouldn't want anyone that gave me pills (that I begged them for) to be prosecuted if I overdosed.  I'm an adult and take full responsibility for my addiction.   I find things like this so sad, happening to young kids with their whole lives ahead of them. .
I happen to have a little experience with the legal and enforcement side of this question. I am sorry. I dont endorse swapping scripts nor distributing them or any of that scene. But I am afraid that the punitive approach has failed. Our jails and courts being full should indicate something. A problem is that the person either taking the drugs or selling them has the "it wont happen to me.." attitude. Proscution of these people has not helped solve the problem. It has only filled our correctional institutions. There is very little rehabilitation inside the walls. And the environment in prison is one of the best avaiable to promote escapism from reality. There is as much availability of narcotics inside the prisons as there is outside on the streets. We need good and factional education. And we need it early in life and school. It couldnt be too early. Our current approach is a failure - dont care how many cops or troops you put on the streets - - they arent the answer. Individuals and families and love of life, community, and country are a good place to start. But start again we need to do - - what we are doing isnt working at all. The people in your example deserve to be prosecuted - they caused a person to lose their life. But they didnt shoot him. The individual made the decision to take whatever ended their life. It would have been ideal if the casualty had enough education on the consequences and structure of the drug experience to have declined the offer and not even felt the need to participate in the activities.  So very sad..............
I don't think she was taking any benzos. I am not sure. If you would like to follow the case, he is a link to the city newspaper.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/40792857.html

BTW, I don't know the girl that died. This occured near my family's home which is why I became aware of it.

I would agree that the laws dealing with drug possession are a problem. But I think once you cross that line and become distributor...the consequences should be this severe.
If you read the article about the case you will see that the guy that is being charged has previous drug convictions and was given treatment...ie. "education"...instead of jail the first time(s). He never learned anything apparently.
I agree with you and thank that it is awful and so so sad PPl shod no better than to hand out pills like sub, methadone that are very high dose pills any are wrong but these are really bad like giving someone xanax methadone and beer that could od them fast like I know of 3 ppl that died that way
i know that the horse is already out of the barn .....  but it would be really nice if some of the vast dollars we spent on prisons could have been channeled into more and better education. I dont have an answer for today - - just dreaming .......

If the individual that you mention has already had convictions and what we call "education" - -  then the actions described should fit some form of manslaughter.  It is sad that we couldnt have better education long ago. For both parties - user and seller - perhaps with better education the user would not desire to use and the seller would be demonstrating the latest and newest vacuum cleaner door to door!!
I agree with you. I feel for the girl, but she is definitely responsible for what happened, as is the dealer.

Honestly, I don't even know how well education works on kids today. The dealer in this case, went to rehab twice after drug convictions. Came home the day he got out, promised his mom he would never touch a drug again and stay on the right track....on both occassions later in the evening, he overdosed on heroin and cocaine and ended out right back in the hospital.

I mean I agree a lot has to start with the parents. I just dont understand the way these kids can behave and throw their lives away. Everyone involved in this case comes from an affluent community with excellent schools and opportunities...not to say that drugs do exist in places like that...believe I know they do. Its just sad that everything gets thrown away.
what do you guys think of a one year mandatory military service for u.s citizens after highschool. our problems seem so be so apathetic in this country. prison situation is so screwed up. i want my kids to care about their world and its future and not just if their jeans came from american eagle. what does that eagle stand for? i am getting off topic.....or am i? the picture can be so big depending on how you are looking at it. the problems bigger and deeply rooted that lead to tragic, senseless deaths like this girl who hadn't even begun her life yet. something's gotta give.   sway
I am a Vietnam era vet - - one year of public service would be a good and workable idea if administered properly. One year of Military Service sounds good - but wont make it. First of all - thats not long enough to turn out an effective soldier. Secondly, it would be tied up and protested to ineffectiveness before it ever made it to a vote. I certainly wont share a fighting position with some tree hugger that hasnt had adequate training and is probably more of a danger to me than the enemy............wish there were a simple and workable solution........
As eagle said, I don't think you could produce a soldier in that amount of time. However, I would love to see military schools and academies become standards for more families. I wish I would have been sent to a military academy. Young adults need direction and the typical high school teacher is not providing it these days. Either they aren't trained to or they just don't care.

I agree 100% that public service, civic responsibility, and general respect for one's self and our country should be intensely intergrated into the development of kids.

Like I said, I wish I would have had tougher teachers, parents, everything. I could have used a drill sargent screaming in my face that I was "a damn fool who knew nothing of real life that is still wet behind the ears"! Would have straightened me right out, before I wandered into the messes I have found.

Cheers to mandatory military training and education.