Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Suboxone and alcohol

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Suboxone and alcohol

I am not an alcoholic and not even a big drinker. However, I do enjoy a glass of wine with dinner every now and then (once every 2-3 months, if that).  Anyway, I'm having a BBQ next weekend and I wouldn't mind having a beer. I drank while I was taking oxycodone with no real side effects, but I'm worried if it will lessen the effects of the Subs or if I'll pass out after having a half a glass of beer (which is about all I would drink anyway because it will get warm and nasty before I finish it). My friends will wonder why I'm not having a beer/cocktail if I don't, but I guess I could just pour a glass of beer out and fill it with water or something. Or pour some apple juice in a wine glass or something. I just don't want to do anything potentially dangerous.

I was also told that Xanax and Subs shouldn't be mixed, either. But, I am on both at the moment prescribed by the same doctor, so I'm not really relying on what I'm reading on the net.

I guess my question is this: Has anyone who has been on Suboxone had a drink or two while taking them? If so, were there any bad side effects?

Like I said, this is more curiosity than anything. I can always pretend to drink a beer if need be.
Hi there. I have no personal experience mixing alcohol with suboxone but my wife does. She was on subutex in South Africa and drank with no ill effects. However when she emmigrated here(to NZ) she was transferred onto suboxone. Apparently the naltrexone/naloxone disrupts the absorbtion of alcohol into the bloodstream and she could not ever feel the effects of the alcohol. I have also read of a treatment for alcoholics where they are prescibed daily doses of naltrexone for this reason. To prevent them feeling any "beneficial effects"of alcohol.

I hope this helps to answer your question. The responsible thing to do would be to consult a doctor first and failing that, try and limit the amount of alcohol you consume.

All the best. Kind regards Jeremy.
Well... I took your second bit of advice and made myself a drink. I figured a little experiment was in order so I made myself an Absolute Berry on the rocks and the results are........

Nada. I have a tiny, itty bitty buzz from the drink and that's about it. Since I'm not a big drinker, I normally would be all "blah blah blah, chatty chatty, I LOVE YOU! (I'm a lovey and chatty drinker) blah blah blah, oopsy daisy, where'd that wall come from?" But seriously, I'm able to type in complete sentences and walk a straight line. I've got no cravings, so the Subs are still working. I think the Subs are actually blocking the normal effects I would have from drinking.

Hmmm.... Maybe I should challenge my big drinker friends to a game of beer pong at the BBQ. They'll all be wondering why I can pound down 18 cocktails and STILL be standing! LOL!

I'm just kidding. At least I know I'll be able to have a drink with my friends without any ill effects.
The naloxone in Suboxone is not absorbed by your body unless injected. That is the reason they put it into the pill, so heroin addicts don't inject it. It shouldn't have much effect on alcohol use in my experience unless your hypersensitive to naloxone.
I'm new to Suboxone, so I have no idea if I'm hypersensitive to it.

However, I decided to have a SECOND cocktail (oh dear.... from a pill popper to an alcoholic in two hours tops) and I still feel fine.

I'm actually helping my husband on our boat right now.... wonderful man that he is.... making me clean the potty of the boat.... and feeling pretty darn good! LOL!

I think my little experiment has proven, at least in my case, that alcohol doesn't interrupt the Suboxone in any fashion.

Now, if y'all would please excuse me, I'm gonna go stick this nasty boat plunger thingy in my husbands face so he'll stop yelling, 'HONEY, COME'ERE, IT'S GETTING CLOGGED AGAIN!"

Double You Tee Eff!
Yeah you are right about the naloxone being meant to deter people using suboxone intravenously but i was just relaying my partners experiences and the results of scorpiorisings little experiment seem to mirror those of my wife.

The sentence in my post about oral naltrexone being used to curb alcoholic drinking is undisputable and is not reserved for people with a "hypersensitivity" to naloxone.i have met several alcoholics who have been prescribed naltrexone for this purpose.
The danger with mixing Suboxone/ Subutex with alcohol is the same as mixing any opiate with alcohol.  They are both respiratory depressants.  You may drink all night long and never notice a problem.  Then you go to sleep and die of pulmonary failure.

Since you mention you really don't like to drink anyway, why are you allowing your so-called friends to dictate your behavior?  If they ask why you aren't drinking, just tell them the truth - you don't like it!  It can also be pretty entertaining to be the one sober person in the room - or on the boat.  LOL!