Suboxone for chronic pain
Hi everyone- I have been taking hydrocodone 5 mg for 5 years for chronic pain, that believe me is real. My tolerance has gone up over that time, and it takes 10 or more to get any relief, and I am using whatever else I can buy on the street to help. I am an alcoholic, sober for 14 years, and up to this point have been able to maintain my program. But the situation has gotten out of hand-I will always need pain relief, it's pretty severe, but don't want to get back in the alcoholic/addict lifestyle, and that is right where I am. Does anyone have any advice on the least harmful and most legal way to deal with the addiction and the pain?   I go to a pain clinic, get steroid injections, etc, but still need meds. The pain clinic MD will not increase your dose or prescribe a stronger med, so the only option I can see is to try a clinic for methadone or suboxone. I will always have to be on something, and probably will always be addicted, but whats the best option?  Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me.
Hi Carly,

I really feel for you! I know a lot of chronic pain patients find themselves in this exact predicament! They no longer feel adequate relief from their pain meds and start supplementing with whatever they can find until they are at the end of their ropes.

I wish I could tell you that methadone or suboxone was the way to go, but all I can say is that it is always an option. But, this will be up to you and your doctor. However, really do your research on these two drugs. Have you done any research on other options for pain relief? I know there is no easy way out for pain relief at this level, but just tread lightly before you jump into deeper water because Methadone and Suboxone for long term use (especially if you think you might possibly ever want to get off of them) can be deeper water.

Least harmful way to deal with pain... again, it will depend on you. You cannot live with chronic pain at the level you are describing, so unless you can find an alternative to narcotics (which I'm always hopeful), then being in pain is a harmful option. Getting drugs illegally is harmful. My advice is to find a sympathetic pain clinic that will work with you, but before you dive into stronger painkillers, seek the advice of a holistic healer and outweigh all the non narcotic options, as well!

I wish you all the best and ultimate pain relief!