Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Suboxone how long can you take before your addicted

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I went to the doctor for a percocet habbit of about 6 months.( It was just a way for me to "UNWIND" after work..When I tried to stop one day, the withdrawl (withdrawal) was so BAD I could not move. My whole body ached...( I was taking 80mg a day on average). He prescribed me 60 Suboxone (8mg/2mg ) for 30 days. It cost me $413 ! My last perk was Sat. Now I am worried I will get addicted to Suboxone. How long and how much can you take before addiction sets in? I can not go through another withdrawl (withdrawal)... A week????
I'm sorry you haven't got a response yet.I don't know about the sub but someone will come along that does just hang in there.Peace.
great info...glad u could help him
I think that if you can do a short detox like faith just posted you will be fine, I'm on sub now for 3 months and doing really good down to 1mg but if I was to do it again I would do short detox.

I'm not saying anything bad about sub not a all sub has done nothing but good things for me but I do worry about coming off of it.

Good luck you will be just fine even if you have to take your time just get some help while you do the sub ok
If i have taken 3 subs in a week with a couple of days in between will  i have any withdraws? this is the only time i have ever taken these, I had a pretty good ms contin, vicodin habit that i just withdrew from 10 days ago. and before that i was using heroin for 10 years
No...at this point u should be fine...just do not push it...keep posting
If you take anything consistently for more then 13 days your body automatically becomes addicted. I am a RN
i'm 7 months prego, i've been on suboxone for about a year. 24 mg a day. but there further i get, the less i feel like i took them. after 6 hours, i feel like crap.
whats the highest dose u can take?
Hi there. congratulations on your pregnancy. The highest reccomended sub dose is 32 mgs. Anything higher than that is counter productive and probably wont work as this is its ceiling. It just doesnt work.

Often with pregnancy, opioid doses need to be tweaked. During the final trimester the baby has nearly got all its bits and pieces including a working liver. This means that the baby is now capable of metabolising a portion of your suboxone dose leaving you short and in mild withdrawals. This is normally rectified by splitting the dose or incremental increases.

This really needs to be discussed with your doctor first before you start tampering with your doses.

All the best. Regards Jeremy.
I have a question as well.. I was unable to withdrawal during a normal time of day without taking suboxone (off the streets) so I wasn't able to get the advice from a doctor . I am taking approx 2 mg a day every 3 days but on the 3rd day I seem to go right back into withdrawals.. Any advice??
My opinion is, you will eventually stabilize. Your brain has to slowly start producing dopamine again. If you stick with what you are doing, I believe, you will be able to drop again. Usually people taper down to .5mg before skipping days, at 2mg, you may be having more symptoms. I also noticed that the 2nd or 3rd day of a reduction would produce withdrawals. I'm glad you're getting off sub. I realized after I quit that I had not been in touch with my emotions and I was dependent on making sure I had my dose. If you click on Post a Question you can start a new thread for yourself. This thread is from 2008. Good luck and keep us posted.
Omg ur not supposed to take sub when ur pregnant. Tell ur doctor that u either need subutex or methadone. If i were u id do the subutex
Forgive me I have never posted anything till now. I often come on here to read about others experiences & how they relate to mine. I also think its a way for me to gain the strength again to get off these darn pills!! I decided in 2011 to quit & I did. I quit by tapering for about 2 weeks or so then just stopped all together. I swore I'd never get back on them. Well I fell off the wagon & started taking them again. At first I wouldn't take them everyday because I didn't want to get hooked again. Then life slapped me & I just to hell with it & began taking them again full force. I have never taken more than 4 hydros (10mg) a day. For the most part I take 3 to 3.5 per day. Sometimes only 2 a day. I just can't find the strength to quit thou. It must get harder the second go around or maybe I'm just stuck in my depression rut. I've dealt with a lot last year & so far this year isn't any better. My husband of 13 years cheated on me for the second time. (That I know about anyways) My oldest daughter of 18 ran off with her steroid dealing boyfriend & took my grand baby with her. We lost our house to foreclosure. We ran through our savings because shortly after my husbands cheating he began having seizures so he was taken off of work for a little over 6 months. Needless to say my life has been turned inside out & twisted into one huge screwed up ball coming down a mountain at high speed. I have dealt with depression since I was about 9 years old & lost my father. My mother wasn't there for me. She was always busy chasing after husbands & getting herself into trouble. The pills numb all my pain & gets me through the day. I have two very precious children. They are incredible & very successful in sports & school. I feel I'm doing an injustice to them staying on these darn pills. They deserve more. I don't want to be foggy through their young years at home with me. I want to enjoy & take every moment with them. That in its self should be enough for me to get myself clean. I feel like an aweful mother because I take these hell pills. Sometimes my depression is so bad I just want to leave this world. If the truth be known the only reason I'm still here is because I can't leave my children as my father left me. I know how it feels to long everyday for my father. I wish everyday he was here to be with me & see my children. I miss him so. That said, I can not leave mine. Not by my actions anyway. However I do feel I am in a way doing just that due to the damage I am doing to my body with these pills. I want muster up enough strength to get off these bastards for the last time. I would like to try the subs but I am soo very afraid of trading one habit for another. If anyone has any pointers on how to get started & what not to do or what to do to get off these without trading one habit for another one I am all ears. I don't think I am taking a lot of hydros but its enough & it is a problem. I also don't want to be in pain. I have Fibro & it is so painful. Some days hugs from my children kill me but I couldn't imagine not having those hugs. There has to be a different way to cope with the pain. I want to find that way. I want to live again without being dull & numb. I don't have any type of support system at all. I can not tell my 12 & 8 year old that their moms addicted to pain pills. I do not have any family & as far as friends I don't have any that I am close enough to tell my problem too. I really don't have any life outside my home other than my children's activities & school. I have often thought about volunteering so I could maybe feel productive but it's hard for me to get out & about around others. I used to not be like this I was always so outgoing & full of life. I loved people & meeting new people now I'm 40 & not so much social life. I do miss it but don't know the first step to blooming anymore. Any advise or thoughts are welcome. Thank so much for reading my post. Just saying some of this has allowed me to take a deep breath. For all of those who have conquered this pill war congrats!!:) keep on trucking you have done an awesome job!! Bless each one and every one of you on this thread & those who come.
I'm glad you posted hopefully you feel some what better.  I know for me I don't like the side effects on the Norco pain Meds.  Plus, being tied to them and the fear that they don't get filled.  I learned the hard way of what it would feel like if I was going through WD when my husband forgot to pick up my Scrip. and the Pharm was closed for the weekend.  This is when I and my husband thought it would be best for me to go to rehab because we have busy life and I care for my disabled grandson and have to busy teen daughters.  

I just retired and decided it was time because before that I couldn't take off work because all my vacation and sick was used up for my grandson's needs.

Best of luck
Been on opiates for 13 years.taking 8 a day roxy 30 mg.my last roxywas 5 days ago.but couple of the days 3 n 4 took half suboxone film n I'm stil on gabapentin n clonidine.Iworked this whole time w withdraws which wasn't that bad.my question is I havnt taken any sub today.since I only took a couple pieces here n there.will I have withddraws from the sub.
You shouldn't have sub withdrawal, but subs keep the brain from forming natural chemicals. You may get some Roxy withdrawal that haven't healed yet. The long half life of sub should hold you for a few days. I wouldn't take more subs though, sub is a looooong detox. Ride it out from here, you will heal much faster from Roxys. Do you take amino acids, minerals, electrolytes, etc....?
Good grief. You've been thru a great deal in a short time. I like you don't take mega doses, but am addicted to Norco.
  I got super sick both times I went cold turkey,even 26 days after not using.
Today is a special day. I am on a taper that my Dr knows about. This time it will be safe & sane. You can do it too. I have a medical condition that causes me pain, but I don't care about that anymore. I rather feel the pain.
Another complication of mine is I struggle with BiPolar disorder. It's ok though, the bipolar drugs get modified during. the opiate withdrawal  
So that's my story. I will be here to help you any way I can. I'm sure I'm going to need plenty of help too. Pamela
i have been on suboxone for almost 2 weeks to kick herion and now i want to get off will i have withdraw from suboxone please let me know cause i dont want to keep going to suboxone clinic if i dont have too
I think that a lot of folks here need to understand that there is a big difference between addicted and dependant. If you take x amount of say lortabs a day after a length of time you will be dependant and experience wd"s  but drugs are just a symptom of addiction. Addiction effects your life in many ways other then the desire to use drugs. That's why addiction doesn't stop with abstinence, that's why aftercare is so important.
Not addicted,,dependant
Hey there how are you doing I feel your pain.. I am much younger and live a much different lifestyle but have been addicted to opiates for the last 7 years.. For many of us the opiates fill that void in us that we spent years trying to fill with every other possible way.. I have gotten clean multiple times but always come crawling back to the drugs.. When things start to get really good we start to think we deserve to just do it once telling ourselves we will stop after that one time.. When in reality deep down we know this is a myth. Our own minds will trick us into doing things we will only regret later on. I now work in the recovery field and have seen opiates destroy peoples lives. Some of the most brilliant and talented people I have had the pleasure of spending time with were addicts.. Your not alone.. I hope you have made some progress since your post and am here for you and anyone else struggling with opiates.. There is fellowships out there where you can learn to live a life that never seemed possible and you will meet new friends who understand what your going through and you will have a blast doing it.. So stay strong don't give up, take charge of your life... I'm sorry your husband doesn't appreciate what he has. I hope you guys are finding each other again.. Well don't want to get to personal but I'm here and hope to hear from you soon.. Until then stay strong and love yourself...
Agreed ^^^^ I was on Subs, when I realized I was 3 months pregnant, and I my doctor said that it was very bad for me while pregnant, so I was perscribed  Subutex! I think that would be the very best choice, other than weening off them :)