Suboxone kill pain?
I have lower back pain and one of the fears I had with getting off of painkillers was that subuxone, or subutex, would, yes, help me quit them but I didn't know if my back pain would still be there. Since I've started taking it I still feel my lower back pain, just like I had before taking pills, except not as much. I remember that the reason I was prescribed Darvocet in the first place was because my pain was not terribly bad, but still bad enough. Does suboxone still kill pain? I know it's still a narcotic but the way the doctor explained it to me confused me. Thanks!
Hi and Welcome!

My experience with Suboxone was not for pain management; however, I do know of several members who take it for that reason.

Please be patient and someone will come along and give you advise. If you don't hear anything tonight, post again in the morning.

Take care.
Hi - I have been prescribed Suboxone to get off narcotics and then to use as needed for pain.  I've been off of it for about 8 days now.  The recommendation is to take 2-4mg 3x/day for pain but my sub doc told me to just take it as needed. What I've learned is that I can actually get just about as good of pain relief with Tylenol as I could with the Suboxone and I can be narcotic free.  I have decided that I would rather live with some pain than to be on pain meds all the time.  You have to decide what will work best for you.  Not knowing what your level of pain medication use is/was, I can just recommend that you follow your docs instructions.
Please feel free to ask more questions if you have them.
I think the best thing to focus on is getting off pain meds and then assessing your pain levels. while narcotics are in the system we don't have an accurate idea of how much pain we have. Narcotics stop the production of our natural endorphins so our bodies rely only on what we are putting in it for relief.  Getting off the pills and letting your natural endorphins kick back in will give you a more accurate gauge.
Subutex/Suboxone are great used as a detox tool to get your through the physical stages of withdrawals. If you just switch to it from Darvocet you will just be replacing your drug of choice with another narcotic.
I was originally prescribed Darvocet and when my doctor left private practice and my doctor stopped prescribing it to me is when I started using hydrocodone. That went on for a year and a half increasing how many pills i took at various times. I broke down the other day and finally told a doctor about my problem because it was controlling my life and making me do things I never thought I would do. When he put me on this Subutex I felt good. No withdrawal symptoms and alot of my pain went away, just like I thought it would because I always that the more pain killers I took the more the pain would be when I wasn't on them. The only thing that is staying with me is the original lower back pain I have had, except it isn't as bad as it was when I was originally prescribed Darvocet. That's why I was wondering if Subutex also kills pain, or if I have become more tolerant of my back pain, or if my back is getting better...I know it's a narcotic but I was told it is different from hydrocodone and other pills. My doctor tried to explain it to me but I was still confused.