Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Suboxone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Suboxone

I just found out that my boyfriend is taking Suboxone. I knew he had a problem w pain killers in the past, and noticed his sneaky trips to the bathroom. Come to find out he is sniffing suboxone. He says he has been on it for 3 years and that it helps him stay clean. I have NO IDEA about pills and what the effects they have on you when you are addicted to them or what is even appealing about it. All I know is that I love him and I want to be here for him. But I dont know if this is the truth, can you be on these pills that long? Is he able to take other pills while taking this one? Can he have created a NEW addiction to this pill. Please help if you can.
If he is snorting his sub he has transferred his addiction from oxys for to sub .There are doctors that will put people on sub long term .My personal opinion is it just swapping ones drug of choice out for a new one .Is he getting any recovery care .The other possibility is what he is snorting is not sub but his DOC have you seen the pills could you describe them.
Suboxone is a maintenance opiate replacement drug like methadone. It has a different mechanism of action, and makes it difficult to get a high on. 3 years is reasonable for someone to be on Sub. However, he is abusing the medication by changing its method of delivery. It's a sublingual pill that's supposed to be left under the tongue to dissolve. The pill has a ceiling effect of about 4mg, so snorting them shouldn't change the high involved. But, everyone is different, so maybe he's gaining some sort of quick high from it. He has to be getting something out of it either physically or mentally, because I've heard it's quite painful to snort Sub. Either way, he's not using the Sub as it's intended...which is classic addictive personality.
Three years is does not  sound like a  reasonable amount of time to be on it if he is abusing it and there are  people that say they get a high from it .I am taking a guess here he is not getting any recovery care ??? As GA said he is using classic addictive behavior. if in fact what he is taking is sub that why I asked if you new what the pills look like