Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Suboxone

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Suboxone

Hi!  I am seriously deciding to admit my addiction to a Psychiatrist, if I do, I will do it on Wednesday, April 18th.  So, I have to ask a few questions about Suboxone.  Is a Pyschiatrist able to prescribe it?  Is it usually covered by health insurance?  How does Suboxone make people who take it feel?  I am just sick of those little pills taking control of my life!  I called in sick to work two Sundays in a row because I had to search for more Percocets!!!  I've become a totally different person.  I am addicted to cigarettes and that's enough, I've been a smoker since I was 17 and now I'm 32 years old.  My next step should be to quit them!  At least they are easy access!  Ha, ha!  I've never tried things like pot, cocaine and I was really never even a drinker execpt back when I was in my Senior year of high school.  Then I drank almost every night towards the end of the school year just because I thought I was so cool to be under age drinking.  Tonight I don't have ANY Oxycodone left, I can't say I wish I didn't!  My husband enjoys stressing me out a bit too much and when he does that it leads me straight for the drugs!  This is my first night without and so far I am doing fine.  Gee, I bet I won't be this good tomorrow night!  Please send me any message!  Thanks!  
it sounds like we have a lot in common. My husband also is giving me a hard time. thats partly why I justified in my mind that it was "ok" to take some of his pills.  

Im afraid my family is falling apart.... well.......truthfully it IS falling apart. its too long to go into right now...but i think I too should go seek counseling. I used to go to psychologists years ago, and I think I need to start again. Im in a very dark place right now, unable to help myself or my family, and Im afraid if I dont get help, our entire family will be destroyed.  Good luck to you and let us know how your appointment goes.
And you can obtain a prescription for Suboxone from your psychiatrist IF he/she has a license to treat patients with Suboxone...
Hi! - here is my post from a few days ago about Suboxone. I think it answers some of your questions. And yes, Suboxone is covered by some insurance companies (not mine unfortunately). Hope it helps!

Hi guys. I am new to this forum but feel that my knowledge could be helpful to you as your comments and stories have helped me through my addiciton. I have been addicted to pain killers and heroin for 2 years and have just recently taken the steps necessary to get help for myself. I was motivated by the fact that I don't want to be prisoner to these deamons anymore! They destroyed me financially and emotionally and have greatly (and negatively) affected my relationships and interactions with the people around me. I find great comfort and support from this forum and want to lend my support to all of you. I have started seeing a therapist who began treating me with Suboxone. I would reccommend this treatment to anyone who is ready to get help. I agree with others who say that treatment wont be successful unless the addict is ready to help themselves. I didnt think that I was addicted and I certainly didnt think that I needed help until I was cut off from my family and from their financial support. Suboxone is a partial opioid agonist and opioids like pain killers and heroin are full opioid agonists. A full opioid agonist is one that fully binds to the opioid receptors in your brain, thus giving you a complete feeling of euphoria. A partial opioid agonist is one that partially binds to the opioid receptors in your brain, thus giving you a minimal feeling of euphoria while at the same time, blocking other opioids from binding to those receptors. Thus if you take any type of opioid while you are on Suboxone, you will not feel the full pleasurable effect of the drug, thus giving you less positive reinforcement when taking a drug like heroin, lessing your desire to take a drug like heroin. I find that I am able to achieve a minimal euphoric feeling from Suboxone but mainly, the drug allows me to function normally. I can get up easier in the morning and participate in activities that I enjoyed before my addiction - like going to the gym. I am also less moody. The most important benefit resulting from treatment with Suboxone for me is that I am less focused on combating withdrawal symptoms (since they are essentially nonexisistent with this drug) and cravings and can direct my focus to more pressing issues such as why I began using the opioids in the first place. Attacking the underlying problems to my addiction I believe will ensure my long-term recovery. I hope this helps! Again, I really enjoy this forum and I would welcome any questions, comments, or responses. My prayers are with you all.

-Kate
when you take your first pill of suboxone, do you feel nauseas?? or vomit at all? or does it take all of that withdrawal away?? i have a phobia of vomitting and im not looking forward to doing it!!, can someone please answer that?