Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Subutex and Vicodin

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Subutex and Vicodin

Can you take vicidin if you're on subutex? I have been clean 2months, the doctor started me on suboxone but it din't interact well with the other pain meds like tramadol/ultrim because they use the same receptors, so he swicthed me to subutex which has no naloxone. Despite the high prices on subutex, it works great. However, I am terified of taking anything (vicodin/norco) that will throw me back into withdrawals, but because I broke my hand, I need something strong for the pain. How long does it take subutex to ware out of your system so i can take vicodin for pain because am terified!
  • subutex (82 replies):
    I tapered off methadone (slowly)which I had been on for ...[more]
maybe talk to your dr about icreasing your sub for a bit for pain then taper back down to your normal dose who gave you the vic if your on subtex??
When did you brake your hand?
No, you don't want to take Vics while taking Subutex. How many mgs a day are you on? Is the doctor going to prescribe Vicodin to you?
Good damm idea USArmyMedic!!!!!!  I guess that should have been a no brainer...guess I am without brain tonight. lol
thanks flmagi
Avatar n tn
my reg doc prescribed it, despite me telling him i din't want it, he still did because he xrayed me and saw the broken bones and the swelling. That a good suggestion on the dosage increase, however, i can only handle 6mg of subutex a day. So i guess am  in a dilema, any suggestions?
alternate between tyl and an NSAID take 2 tyl's two hours later take an NSAID it will help with the pain and the swelling what bone did you break... I have worked in hand therapy for 6 years as a therapist..
Avatar n tn
NSAID as in celebrex?
the vic wont do ne thing at all you wont feel them suboxone, subutex are blockers thay act as a bouncer they stop the opaites from reachin the receptors, also you can overdose yourll feel nothing. hope this helps
Avatar n tn
I broke the fifth metacarpal at the metacarpo-phalangeal joint (MP) due to impact from the upper bones.
Avatar n tn
but will the vic atleast take away the pain?
NO NOT AT ALL!!  You wont even feel it on subs.
Avatar n tn
so no point of even trying them,..thnx nulife
celebrex is a NSIAD but a cox2 inhibitor a regular NSAID like Motrin, Naprosin, Indomethacin, tolecton,
so a boxers frature
vics arent going to do anything ,sounds like USARMY know about this ...... I hope you get the pain under control
Avatar n tn
thnx USarmy, what about the bone, does it heal quick or do i have to seek surgery with a othorpedic?
Avatar n tn
and yes, its a boxers fructure
it depends on the frature if it is desplaced or angulated over 30 degrease you will need surgery for it to heal right other than that you will be in a cast for 6-8 weeks or if you have a dr that is agressive it could come off at 4 weeks and go into a splint for 4 weeks depends on the dr. watch out for rotaion if you notice your figer nail pointing  to the side of your hand you might want it looked at by a surgion it is not a bad deformity meaning does not increase pain or decrease function but look werid and can make your fist look weried and it will get trapped under your ring finger when making a fist so look out for that. for the most part ounce casted pain should decrease in 3 days but you will be casted in a strange posistion this is so that the joint heal right and that the tendons and ligaments don't shorten and case a decrease in funtional motion. it will be stiff but not as much as if it was casted out strieght it should not be splinted strieght at the MCP joint 70-90 degrease of flexion athe MCP and streight at the PIP AND DIP figer joints
Avatar n tn
thanx for the support, can't belive coming from 30-40 norcos 10/325 a day, this is amazing, all of you are great, never checked my liver function but i know i would have died so going back that route is a definate no no!
Avatar n tn
usmedic you know your stuff, the way you adv me w/meds really worked, thanks much!
I know this forum is a few years old... But I have been in the suboxone program for over a year now & have recently been switched to subutex.. And these people that say they are the same thing have no idea what they are talking about!! Suboxone has naloxone in it the naloxone is the opiate blocker! Subutex is just straight buenphorine which is a mild narcotic! & it can be used w Vicodin & other opiates because it doesn't have any blocker in it!!