Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Subutex causing unmanageable weight gain; how do I stop the subutex?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I am on subutex and have been taking it for 2 years now. I have gained over 50 pounds while taking it and I know that it is the subutex causing the weight gain because I took methadone for 5 years before the subutex and I gained a lot of weight on it too and no matter how good I ate or exercised the weight wouldn't budge. When I went off the methadone and was drug free I lost 70 lbs. in 5 months until I started the subutex and now I am fat again. I feel the only way to lose the weight is to stop the subutex but I know I really need it and don't know how to even begin to stop it. What can I do?
Hi..  You need to taper down on the Subutex over time to avoid some severe withdrawals.
Your doctor will help you with this and that's the best place for information. We don't know how much you take or why so it's best in the hands of your doctor.

In the meantime,good luck with the weight loss.
I notice a lot gain weight on subtex. I've been on it 3 years and gained over 100lbs I stopped for 2 weeks and lost 45 lbs but I'm a stay at home mom with 2 small children so being sick is out of the option and even after the 2 weeks I was still deathly sick:( so I told my dr I need to do something so he put me on adderall (adderrall).. it helps decrease your appitite and its a small dose I guess does anyone have experience on these medications I haven't started yet... please help?