Subutex withdrawals and pregnant
I have been on subutex since about 8 weeks pregnant and am now 24 weeks. When I went thru detox at the hospital they watched me take the meds so I took as much as I could and spit out the rest, it was too much. Now I take only a small peice of an 8mg tab 2x a day. (I am supposed to be at 4mg 2x daily) I have been working with my IOP program, they are really great. When I told them I was thinking about weaning off of these meds the last month so the baby is born clean they said this could cause brain damage. Up until now I thought the major risk of getting off the subs while pregnant was pre mature labor (The reason why I was planning to wait until the last month.) I am worried about my baby if I stay on this little bit of subutes and am worried if I come off of it.
Listen to your doctor. The subutex will not hurt the baby, as long as the doctors are ready at birth, but withdrawal will. Even if there's no brain damage, the baby feels the withdrawal just like you do. Please don't take this in your own hands. Staying on a low dose through the birth is your best option now. Depending on the doctors protocol, the baby will detox after birth, when lungs and brain have developed more. Your breast milk will have the subs in it also, so the baby will slowly taper with you. Keep yourself comfortable and enjoy your new child, what an amazing thing. Congratulations on the new family member.