Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Sugar addiction

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Sugar addiction

Is there any scientific evidence that refined sugar can be addictive?  And, therefore, have withdrawl (withdrawal) symptoms?  I have anecdotal evidence but was wondering if there is actual research that supports my experience.  Thanks.
Avatar n tn
Yes, absolutely.  I've lived through it.  I'm not a doctor, but I know many people who have gotten over sugar addiction and are now living day to day, still craving sugar, but off it none-the-less.  Carbohydrates are also addictive.  If you're interested in learning more, go to this site:

http://www.livingnutrition.com/
Avatar n tn
That's a question I would like the answer to too.  I seem to crave sugar.  I can go a few days and then finally I just can't stand it anymore and I have to have something sweet.  When I eat it it's such an uplifting feeling on my tongue and it's like complete satisfaction.  I'm wondering if this might be a symptom of or related to some of type of problem.
Avatar n tn
refined sugar is addictive and will cause all kinds of health problems..eye proplems is the  worst...