Sugar...
Why Would my son carry around a container of sugar?  Is this to hold him over between fixes our would this be more in line with someone who is trying to get/stay clean?  
Thanks in advance!
How old is your son?

I am going to sleep right now, but I might be able to help you out...........I kind of had sugar myself and it was because I was addicted.........shoot, still am addicted to sugar.........yeah, it's weird.

Has he always done this? If not, for how long? Last, do you see him just eat the sugar?
Thank You for responding.  He just started this and no I have never seen him eat  it.  his best friend does the same thing and I know he is actively using..
Never heard of this before....are you 100% positive its sugar?
Have you asked him why he is carrying sugar around? You may not get the truth but it may be a start in opening the lines of communication.

The other thing that would concern me is that he is hanging around someone that you know is actively using. That may be a clue right there that something is wrong.

If you are planning to sit and talk with him, please be careful how you approach him. Your words and your body language could cause him to close up. As difficult as it is, try not to be accusatory. Ask and listen.

Let us know how you are doing.