Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Surgery and Pain Relief after beating Opiates

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

So I have been Opiate free for over 3 weeks now and finally my surgery has been scheduled for next week. I am having major surgery to remove my right ovary, remove cysts from my left and to remove Endometriosis from around my bowels.

I told the Doctor in Pre-Assessment my Codeine addiction problem and how I’ve overcome it. The pain relief they suggested is Morphine despite me telling them about my recent issue. The Doctor thinks I will be fine since I will only be taking it for a few days but I’m worried I’m going to get an intense feeling from it and all hell will break loose mentally.

I asked if I could go without and he smiled and said “you won’t want to go without anything when you wake up” O.O

What do you guys think???
I think you should do as your doc suggests. That's alot of trauma to your abdomen to not have any pain relief medication. I also think you will do better this time around because you are already thinking about the "after" surgery...its clear you do not want the drugs...but wanting and needing them are two completely different things. I had my appendix rupture, peritonitis, and left lung collapsed and would have never made it through w/o the meds. It took three days for me to be able to walk down the hospital hallway...with a walker. Now if you get a day in and see a decrease in pain, you can always let them know and they can lower your dose right away so it won't be so tough. I imagine you'll be in the hospital a couple days??
I had a very similar surgery .. They could not do it laproscrapically so I was cut entire bikini line... I was out of for 12 weeks  and used pain meds for about 4-5 weeks started with Perc and worked down to Tylenol 3.. Good luck with your surgery and have someone dispense your pain meds at home.  Don't suffer .
Thanks guys for the replies. I will be in for 3-4 days. My fear is getting overwhelming cravings and having to go through withdrawals again or relapsing once at home. My partner is also concerned and seemed a little angry about it :/