Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
Switching Addictions

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

Switching Addictions

Although most of us have our DOC even though some don't like that term, many here dabbled with different drugs. When i was in college i did drink too much, but now i don't have any cravings or desire to drink as it still sometimes sets off coke cravings and i hate the drunk buzz. I switched from booze to weed, a few pills along with some other street drugs over the years. Although my addict behaviour had not peaked and at that point I had no idea i was an addict, just always over did my partying and liked to have fun. Then i found cocaine and it grabbed me so fast to where i could not stop, it was impossible without help. I have to admit that after my overdose and i was put on oxy's awhile when my ribs popped, that oxy buzz helped me get through coke cravings  as bad as that sounds. I think if i would have had continued access and the dr would have kept refilling i would have switced addictions to oxy's. I hated them at first, they made me sick, but after a few weeks, i would take one and started to get energy. Although I am a cocaine addict, there have been times i switced addictions to help me quit coke, how sick is that? I wanted to know if some of you here have switched addictions during your drug use or if you still are?
i have had MANY addictions through out my life.  but this last time was the last time.  no more addictions for me.  i went through the coke and the oxys..those were my two main addictions....while i have smoked my share of weed, i dont think i was ever addicted to it.  i smoked it if it was there if not oh well...i take xannex and citalopram not...neither of which i am addicted to.
Nope, only the benzos. I never drank,...well I tried but I just don't like booze, it makes me sick before I get tipsy!!! I was proposed a lot of stuff from the street but I was never into that. Like Cathy, I'm a pot smoker but I don't feel addicted, had to stop many times for various reasons and never had problem to do so. If I'm really honest, cigarettes would be impossible for me to quit....for now.
I am pretty similar to Cathy.  Coke was my first real addiction "back in the day".. however I bonded to opiates much stronger than anything else.  Weed is awful and I hate it.. (lol).. Im not a benzo person... rarely have I ever taken one and I had a bottle of valuim in the house for years that not one pill was missing from.. opiates really got me though.  I guess my opiate preferences changed.. in the beginning, heroine.. but when I figured out the similar, yet functioning, high of pills, then that was it.  10mg Percocet was my favorite of all time, but I've done them all.  At the end, before Suboxone, I was favoring Vicoprofen cause I could take SOOO many and not wory about the acetamenophen.  

Total - I am quitting cigarettes soon... I promised myself before 30 I would quit and 30 comes in April.. Im freaking cause I LOVE cigarettes but its gotta be done... so I hear you on that..    
OH, lets dont talk about cigarettes right now...okay!!!!  LMAO
LOL! I am scared to quit smoking too, but it's such a disgusting habit. I will need some help. Does anybody know if you can overdose wearing the patch? haha
Thought u might post today so got on..Ive done a lot myself in life when it came to drugs and drinking and it seems no matter what i do i over do but nothin got me like the pills, i would go from Valium to oxy's which ever i could get my hands on at the time, but ended up the oxy's were the ones that crabbed me and wouldnt let go for years, i havnt tried anything to take its place thank god lol..i do drink not often and when i do i over do the drinking but i can walk away from it the next day no problem. Now cigs r different story they have me bad too. I smoke weed but can walk away from that also.
LOL yes Gizz a guy down the street put to many on and overdosed and ambulance came and got him. dont know what it did to him but remember he was sweating real bad and laying in front yard with all these damn patches on him. lol
Funny but I only smoked for a week in high school...hated it and never did it again. Smoked weed for a couple months...decided I didn't like it so never did it again. Meth/coke I liked a lot better but if I didn't have any it wasn't the end of the world. I decided to stop doing that before I was 21 (i'm almost 40) and never touched it again even though it was all around me. I thought I just had amazing willpower.....HA! Drank here and there but didn't like the feeling of being too drunk so I have always kept it to a couple beers and that's my limit. Enter opiates. It's the only thing I have let take control over me. I guess I had to try everything else before I found something I liked.  
Gizzy - see I dont think its disgusting at all. in fact, im one of those people who loves the smell of smoke and doesnt care at all about the cigarette haters -imo - unless im sitting in your livingroom, dont tell me not to smoke - go screw  (yes, I have used that line on people on the street who ask me to put my cigarette out)

the only reason i will quit is because i have to for health reasons. i have a very long family history of cigarette related death.
Yes I switched addictions to,food,sex,shopping,smoking,exercise.For the drug part yes I switched from drinking to crack.Thank God today I am clean and sober.
I have been addicted to just about everything over the years.  When i quit drinking i hit the pills real heavy.........Now my one and only addiction is to cigarettes.
When I was morbidly obese my addiction was sugar for various reasons.  When I had my gastric bypass surgery, my addiction became exercise and my support group (online).  Then I noticed that many of my friends who had lost the weight and no longer ate the foods they were addicted too became addicted to drugs or alcohol.  It's interesting to me.  It just shows that we all have addictions in some form or another, but it's what we do with them.  I think it's why we come here to support each other to help each other, but we also help ourselves because it keeps all this in our mind that we do have addictive personalities and have to keep ourselves in check!  

But, now my addiction is this place!  LOL!!!  

Hugs,
Janet
Well Im thinking that after reading mojo's post mayb I need some happy smoke to finally get those xmas decorations down lollolllol.
interesting conversation but if you believe that addiction is a disease then talking about doc"s is like lung cancer victims discussing what brand ciggarettes they smoked,,,really doesnt matter and can actually cause inclusion and exclusion like the other day when 2 people were kinda chuckling cause someone had a pot problem.
Im just glad you people finally got your xmas decorations down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sare:
Hmmmmm - not ME!!!  LMAO!!!!  I haven't had time - but I am doing it this weekend!  Hehehehehehe!
Theres an online dictionary you may want to check out
Were you banned here before? You also commented awhile ago about how a real recovery post wont' go far here and now your yapping about someones spelling. I am guessing you are in N/A? Try to say something positive, instead of being a bitter old man and running your mouth.
Hey this is Gizzys thread so lets try and be respectful here.........
I must of been writing that while you were!!!  I think this is a good thread and didnt want to see it get out of hand..........Glad you are feeling better today.
Yes I am feeling better today, much better. Been outside for a bit and think i actually got a little tan, lol. I needed that support last night and cravings are gone now
I"m yapping about someones spelling? ,I"m guessing your still getting your recovery online,,it shows. By the way how far does a recovery post go in here,look it up bitter young man
Sweet music to my ears!!!
And great post, as usual.
Don't mind the sour spirits!!! You don't even realize how much you pepped me up since I'm here.
Keep on the sunny side..... good for your tan.
XXX
I am all for N/A, i really am. Although i did not work the steps and did not do it their way I am clean today. I would recommend working the steps to anyone, it's a great program, but my problem was the fact many there were court ordered and did not want to be there. Also the fact some tried selling dope after. I met some amazing people in there and a few i still talk to, but i had to stay away from the obsessed ones that turned their addiction to N/A as they only had one belief and pushed it on everyone. My recovery works here at this desk, maybe it's not the right way, but it's my way and I am clean.

P.S. Ty for the laugh. I can tell you get a joy out of life. take care and keep working your recovery.
WAIT a MINUTE dont you talk that way to GIZZY!!!!  You sound like a bitter old man... Now sara everytime I drive past a house with the xmas lights on I think of you and laugh =)  I did take the lights down though hehehehe
you should check you punctuation!!!! LMFAO
Don't even think about messing up with Gizzy, ninja mood today here.
Gizzy I wouldnt waist any more time on that one! I can't spell for s-it!!!! LMAO If no one likes it they dont have to read!  lol   Love u Gizzy
This is a reason why regs are wrong when they compare this to a 12 step meeting. In a meeting a person can give an opinion,others agree to disagree and the discussion is on. No bashing,no spelling or puncuation checks. I started my reply by saying this was an interesting subject,gave my opinion and you can read the replys. I was even accused of checking someones spelling (cant find where I did that). Open minds are important for recovery and eliminating or bashing someones opinion just cause its not yours doesnt sound very open minded.
he ll yea i have and ive been doing it ever since i was 13yrs old and like u didnt even realize it first week than coke, coke, coke , coke throw in some acid shrooms, ex, nitrus than some more coke, than pilss and coke and booze and than some more coke than pills pills pills more pills, and well there u go, just kept switchn didnt even realize it but one major thng to note is that every single thng that i did i mean whatever it was i did 110 percent and just let it totaly take me over when i did eithe weed or coke or booze or pills or a tank of nitrus i did it hard core. it is sick when u actually thnk about it but its just a contuning cycle that just keeps going and going at least for me, but i want it 2 stop for good, but just havent been strong enuf YET.
When I first came to this site I had to learn to leave my pre-concieved  thoughts off line. It took a while but I believe I got it Yes I am a na  person, thats where I got clean and It's the lang. I learned  But what I know to be true is that Paths are many.Ive been on line I think The end of Oct. First of Nov.I have seen a lot of people get clean. So I know it works.And in Dec. when my grandson had brain sergury I got a lot of support and prayers from people in all communities Hope this helps any newcommerrrs
good post giz...I was always a drinker..beer only, because everything else made me sick ( not that i didnt' try)...Did pot too, but never really cared for it.., i think just trying to be cool...
then i think i just switched addiction like most...Although I had taken pain pills many times, babies, surgeies, etc...When they were gone that was it..And I remember always looking at the clock to make sure i was taking them like i should..they also made me nauseated at first...I can't remember when it exacttly gave me the energy, but it did, and when that happend, it was only on taking one half of a pill all day...I though dang this is great, I can take one, no hangover, and do all of this...Had no idea about tolerance etc...SO when one turned to 3, then 6 then 20, i was freaking out....I know i just crossed addictions...But i do beleive that some do this with food, casino's etc...
I wish mind would have been something better then narcotics....
I know for ME, i have to continue work, no way around that ..This place saved my life, and still does, but i found i needed more...but that doesn't mean that is everyone...Everyone is different, and whatever works , and clean or sober in the end is all that counts...
maybe you should go back to where you came from! It's people like you that make this site unenjoyable.... So maybe you should stick to your NA meetings for your recovery and let the people that this site helps be!  Have fun in you 12 step whatever and leave gizz alone... You mess with him and you mess with alot of people he has helped! Peace and love
wow ,,a rude and hateful reply followed by peace and love