TERRIFIED!!!! HOW DO I WEAN OFF 6 MG XANAX per day?????
I am on 6 mg  of xanax per day in .5mg doses every two hours. my incompetent doctor approved this schedule to help me taper off duragesic/fentanyl patch. NOW I AM TERRIFIED as i have severe anxiety on the xanax taper meds, self neglect, cannot function- LIFE IS LIVING HELL!! Am confused all the time, and getting no support at home.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    
Terrified of detox facility- as it may take quite a while to get off- but, terrified of seizures and withdrawal if i do this on my own.
ANY HELP PLEASE, DEAR GOD !!!!!
...meant they keep you there after detox for aftercare to help give you the tools you need to get on with your life after you leave.   If everyone came in only for detox without a support system, the insurance companies wouldn't pay because the chances of relapse are very high if you only detox and don't have a support or aftercare program in place.    That is there for you!    
all of this helps. I have no support at home and half problem is abusive spouse who will not even drive me to the rehab center. it seems that it takes about a week to detox, and then about a month of aftercare- is that right?

sorry to bother here, just very scared with no support system in place at home. i am treated like a ghost at home- no one speaks to me at all- and no one will help here. i also have no one to support me in terms of family.
Since cannot find a benzo doc here to detox, it looks like this is the only option. nolife, your answer was very good- i just do not want to be locked away and forgotten about-
the effects that nolife mentioned are the exact symptoms i am having.
GO TO THE ER NOW
It is great see you on here again..I have missed you ;)...I'm soooo sorry you are goingthrough this and for so long ..take a deep breath you can do this I know you can ....you do need to find a new doc to get you through this you made it past the fentanyl andnow is the xanax .. 1 step at a time  ..I still have the same phone numbers you know you can call me anytime...I'm praying for you all the time (((((hugs))))))) call me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad I could help.   If I could go through detox and rehab all over again, I would in a heartbeat.  It's such a safe environment.   Towards the end I didn't want to leave and have to deal with the real world.   But they gave me the tools to deal with the real world.   The rest was up to me.   This sounds to me like your best option.   If you have to call a cab, then so be it.  

Your body has built a tolerance level of the benzos to where they are only working for a very short term, so you are going into withdraw every couple hours.   Your mind and body are crying out for more with the symptoms you are having, which is not what you want to do right now.  

Let us know what you decide you are going to do.   We are here to help!  
Please answer your phone !!!!!!I'm calling u now
Oh, and detox can be anywhere from 24 hrs up to a week depending on how you respond to the treatment.   Then you have the inpatient care for 3 to 4 weeks with outpatient care for 6 months to a year.   It really depends on what is offered and what your insurance will cover.   However they usually won't let you stay less than 30 days with a benzo or narcotic addiction.    
Hon, listen to the great advice, you REALLY need help.  You also need help to address the home situation.  You need the assistance and support of professionals who will know how to help you.  

I'm pretty surprised he'd kept you on such a high dose this whole time....every two hours is a lot.  All that did was build your tolerance to the roof.  that could explain your symptoms.  You're already probably experiencing symptoms from the dose being insufficient to cover you, due to tolerance.  Basically, you could be experiencing w/d because your dose isn't high enough.

^^^^^ This is what I said toward the beginning of the thread, and others have said the same thing.  The very med that in the beginning was suppposed to help you, has now become harmful.  You're feeling SO bad BECAUSE of the Xanax.

Hope to read a good update!
thanks all- i am still weaning off 6 vicodin per day down to 2 3/4. I am so scared of going to rehab. NO LIFE: did you say i would HAVE to stay 30 days in rehab?????
could it possibly be the vicodin at the lower dose> or is it the xanax? I cannot live like this anymore. Panic attack 24/7, cannot stand noise, watch tv or read anything. all i do is curl in bed and suffer- just suffer. It is HORRIBLE.
memory is impaired, and afraid to drive due to lack of coordination- i am petrified of rehab as they lock you in.

Can someone please tell me what REHAB is like for Benzos????
the rehab place said that they would taper me with valium, and anti seizure meds , and sleep with melatonin. I also take tofranil antidepressant. is it safe to take melatonin with that med- anyone know?
also take 200 mg Lopressor for Blood Pressure ( XR) . the place said they would keep me on tofranil and bp meds, and give melatonin for sleep.
the problem is: MY BODY wants these meds every 2 HOURS!! I am terrified that if i go off the 2 hour schedule in rehab, the w/d will be unbearable!!!!!   Does anyone know? I am so scared crapless right now- the thought of 30 days in lock down with no phone contacts scares me so much- and the going off of the 2 hour schedule.I pray they will give something to sleep with stronger than melatonin. it  will keep me asleep for about an hour- that is it.
i have abused and left stranded by the medical community. it is so bad, i am so nervous that i cannot sit through the eval at the rehab center!!!
cannot watch tv or read a paper. AND, NO SUPPORT at all from home.
Please Pray for me- PLEASE. GOD BLESS YOU ALL
Did you say you need to spend NO LESS than 30 days? DO THEY MAKE YOU STAY THAT LONG???
Valium has an extremely long half life and xanax has a very short half life - so you WILL NOT need xanax every 2 hours in the rehab because the valim will cover you (ie the valium works for a lot longer than the xanax) - the rehab knows this - remember they are the professionals and know what they are doing!!
Also - Valium is much easier to taper off than xanax - it really is time for you to put yourself in the hands of professionals and trust them - what you are doing is obviously not working.... you don't want to live like this!
Sweetie, you're looking at this all wrong.  Rehab is not a prison...look at it the same as if you would need to go to the hospital for an illness.  It's the same kind of thing.  You're not "locked away".  Legally, they cannot keep you there, but like mentioned above, if you choose to leave before the doctor is ready to d/c you, then your insurance can refuse to pay for your bill.

How could ANYTHING be worse than what you're going through right now?  Seriously!!!  You're already in living hell....rehab would be a blessing for you.  They would help to keep your comfortable while weaning you off the Xanax, SAFELY.  They will help you learn ways to deal with the anxiety, and MOST importantly, there will be resources available to you to help you empower yourself to get OUT of the horrible situation at home.  You deserve SO much better than that.  You've been torn down emotionally and mentally...you need to learn how to find the strength to stand up for yourself and seek out a better life for yourself.

Look at rehab as a fresh start...one you so desperately need.  Don't get hung up on the details...of how many days, etc, it will take.  The staff will educate you on how the program works and they will tell you what they think you need.  Many people would love to have an inpatient detox/rehab as an option.  Grab the bull by the horn, and do this!  Start the new year with some hope.  You simply can NOT keep going like this.  The longer you continue to take the Xanax every 2 hours, the worse the tolerance gets, and the worse you will feel.  You're probably already in w/d, as we have explained.  Xanax is not designed to be taken like that for extended periods of time...it actually becomes counterproductive and does more harm than good.

Please stop analyzing this and just do it.  You'll be so glad you did.  As it stands now, you're living a miserable, torturous existence.  You deserve SO much more than that!!!

Much love to you...hope to see an update soon that you've decided to go.  Don't be scared...they are there to help you.  It's not jail sweetie.
Im pretty much going threw it myself with this methadone i want off it so bad. i have panic attacks.scared of dying. kept running to the er
. addiction is no fun either is the withdrals.its a dam shame im right with you. i have bad health , high blood pressure. you hang in there you will be ok trust god. hes there for all of us .good luck.
thx so much- but i am still scared of losing what little freedom i have. i am a chain smoker- no smoking there- sounds silly, i know. but, i cannot live like this. it IS getting worse. the phobia and inability to coordinate are getting worse. they say they can detox you in about a week, but you can go AMA if you need to. IS THAT RIGHT that i can choose to leave AMA and they MUST let me out???? I am so scared of it getting worse. And, i am scared of being in a place without my child. i cannot see her for about a week. this is total HELL. TOTAL HELL I am living in right now.  Dont know how i am going to make it.
can u plz PM ME??
can any hospital wean you off xanax in just a plain hospital room? Or, do you need a detox specialist or psychiatrist to do that in the hospital>
Many hospitals here say they do not have a detox in house- even the big ones in the huge medical center like Methodist. I was wondering if anyone knew if they put you in the general patient population that is less restrictive in a general hospital?????? anyone know?
You can call hospitals and ask what options they have, but like everyone has said, there is no need to be scared of the detox center.  I'm sure your daughter would sacrifice any amount of time to get her Mom back.  You're in no condition to be a mom to her right now.

YES, dear, they HAVE to let you out, they cannot hold you against your will.  Stop worrying about that.  They are there to help you, not lock you away forever.  Don't go into it worrying about wanting to come out...embrace it.  The only thing holding you back at this point is YOU hon.

If you're scared of that...the way you're going now, not able to even take care of basic hygeine...THAT is placing you more at risk for an involuntary psych admission than anything else.  There really isn't many options here, you need to get well.

Now, start making calls.  You CAN do this!
R WE SURE this is due to the xanax tolerance and not still being on 23/4 vicodin still???
I DO KNOW i need OFF of the 2 hour schedule- that is a given. I am so mad at my PCP and the pain doc demon for doing this to me. I cannot live like this.
Everyone says rehab and it is the xanax causing all the symptoms of anxiety, lack of coordination,memory loss, concentration loss, self-neglect, etc.
I am scared if i go to rehab and get intensive for the xanax, that i may have a psychotic split over the restrictions there. i also have bad GI problems, and a sleep disorder and sleep apnea. i am SOOOO SCARED.
Sorry to be so negative, but paranoia is part of this thing, and i am NOT getting any better even with the vicodin taper.  
I just PRAY that i could go to a general hospital and be detoxed there without the lock down of a rehab center. know it is asking for too much.
Yes, in my unofficial opinion, this is absolutely the Xanax.  We've explained about the tolerance.  You're already dealing with w/d's to some level, because your body needs more Xanax to maintain the same level of effectiveness you had before.

No time for being angry at the doctors right now...now is action time.  We've given you the info, and our opinions.  The rest is up to you.  You are in crisis mode.  Personally, I think your living conditions NOW are far more restrictive..I would think you would be thrilled to change that.  ANYthing is going to be an improvement.  You have a very negative impression of what detox centers are like.  They are not jails.

You will also most likely have access to a psychiatrist there too, which is good, as you said you cannot see one now.

Ball's in your court....you have to do something.
you're right, spouse says that the xanax is not the problem, that it is mental and i am throwing myself a pity party. maybe so. i do somatize things hoping there is a pill for that.  i am so scared. he thinks i can just pull myself up by bootstraps and go on. four months ago i could function- today ,i cannot function at ALL. i am so confused. But, I do know i need to get off of the 2 hour pill schedule. i do think a lot of this is mental- but 6 mg of xanax divided over a 24 hour period where i am up every 2 hours is making me insane and my life is in the toilet.
I do know that it is getting worse. and i am terrified. i am scared i backed myself into a corner with no way out. spouse thinks that internet posts are not way to go. i am so confused. don't know for sure if it is the xanax, but i do know for sure that the symptoms of not being able to function and the getting up every 2 hours is taking a huge toll. Please PRAY for me.
all of hospitals i called do not do detox under normal conditions. but, you are right, i will end up with involuntary psych hospital and that is worse- a lot worse. thank you nurse girl. you have a good point here . a very good point. whether it is the xanax or mental- i am heading down a deadly road. Please PRAY for me and my little one. GOD BLESS YOU.
It's not all mental...your husband thought the same of the Fentanyl too, remember?  Suck it up, he basically said, so irritated that you would be sick coming off that cold turkey.  Oh the nerve of you!

You're talking abouthabit forming medications.  This is NOT all in your head.  I think it's made worse by the abuse you suffer, and your state of anxiety and mental health.  Just even your posts....they have always been full of desperation and panic.  Not that I fault you for that, but you definitely have a way of getting yourself worked up.

You know your husband is not going to support you...that's a given.  If anything, he adds to the problem.  I think the detox could be the best thing you've ever done.  You need to be VERY honest with them about your home situation...they will help you and help you learn how to stand up for yourself and take the control back.

I'm praying for you....I sincerely hope you go to the detox center, and soon.  Ask them any questions you have, they'll reassure you and help you understand how the process works.  That should put your mind at ease.  They're not bad guys...they can be your savior.

Lots of luck and prayers.
I completely agree with nurse girl the facility would teach to how to take yourlife back .I'm  here for you I always have been we all are you are not alone.I will call you tomorrow I have  the information you wanted and  I have to say this place is amazing you will be comfortable something you havnt felt  in aLONG time . You will get through this I promise and your husband will see you were right....I'm praying for you I always have been..take deep breaths and now it's time to focus on YOU!!! I will call you tomorrow ((((((hugs)))))))
This looked good . . . I just Googled

Gallus Detox Centers
HOUSTON (SUGAR LAND) TEXAS
Most INSURANCE Accepted! Call 855-338-6929

CATUF
Today is my first day of weening off 20-30 percocets a day, and 5 or 6 xanax too. I stopped the xanax completely, I didnt think my body was use to it or addicted to it I thought it was just a mental addiction, and percs was the the only thing my body was addicted to..but I am feeling really,really sick and scared. My doctor said do not just stop taking them entirely but I couldnt tell him I was already out and had no choice and can only wean off the percocet. Good luck, you are NOT ALONE. Feel free to message me
My PCP also said that a 28 Day facility, or Rehab is not the right place for everyone and to do what is best for me. I have too many responsibilites to up and go to Rehab. It just isn't possible. There are several ways to get from point a to point b. I am going to my first NA meeting tomorrow. Just gotta stick to it.
I went into detox for ativan several years ago and was given phenobarbital for withdrawals....it helped alot. When I got to the facility they gave me phenobarbital with nutritional drinks and b12 injections....felt weak and tired but in 3 days my color came back and I didnt feel like I was coming out of my skin.
this place gives phenobarbitol. my symptoms are severe anxiety, startling at any noise, paranoia, severe depression, shakiness, my hands shake, loss of memory cant remember what i said 30 seconds ago, fear of EVERYTHING,
feeling out of control, wanting to control outcomes of future events, etc. I have NEVER had anything like this in my life. are these the symptoms of xanax/benzo tolerance????

That is why i am so paranoid about the rehab- scared of the old movie scenes where they lock you up and strap you down. i am petrified. a lot of my issue is mental and abuse. add lack of family support, and it is a horrible way to exist.

can anyone tell me , who has been for benzo rehab, how bad the w/d are in the first week or so? what do they do in there? i just want to know what it is like. I know i sound desperate, I AM DESPERATE. PLEASE !!!!
all of you have been great.
can you PM me and tell me PLEASE what rehab is really like? i would be so grateful.
That is why i am so paranoid about the rehab- scared of the old movie scenes where they lock you up and strap you down.

Absolutely NOT!  Like I said before, you have a very inaccurate perception of what rehab is like.

Here's what you need to do, make a list of ALL your questions, no matter how little or silly or paranoid they seem, and call the rehab center and ask them all your questions.  THEY are the ones who need to answer your questions and reassure you.

To be frank, you really need to sh*t, or get off the pot, you know?  I say that, not to be mean, but to be honest.  You know this is out of control and you need to do something, yet you're here, still going back and forth.  I know you're scared, and that's okay, so call and get the answers to the questions you need...and take the next step. You have to do something, you simply cannot keep doing what you're doing.
I tried to reach you  hopefully you get this the rehab is a wonderful facility andtanother will make sure your comfortably..I would call them if I were you please they want to help you. I'm praying for you stay strong hun
a lot of my problem is that i am on the 2 hours schedule 24/7. it is now a mental dependency as well as physical. the doc who gave me the patch in the first place should have weaned me off of the patch- he did not do ANYTHING. Now i am left with a vicodin/xanax addiction that my pcp said was ok- but, he is not a detox doc.
the rehab facility says they will pheno barb for anxiety, but cannot promise- saying it at the discretion of the "nurses"????? WT???i have asked a lot of questions , and no one seems to really want to answer. my spouse thinks that i should pull myself up by bootstraps- that is hard to do when you are paranoid, panic stricken, etc..... so, i have NO support at home on this . all here have been great. thank you. i feel so abandoned by medical community- no one is really supervising this- and the hospitals just say- go to the ER- and we'll take it from there. wondering what fresh hell will be waiting for me. and most hospitals here do not even DO DETOX. i am soo lost.
i agree. Please PRAY for me. I do work myself up- because of the panic and fear. i have been taking xanax on/off for almost  20 years. But, NEVER at 6 mg per day and not every 2 hours. this is a hell existence. i am considering rehab as that is everyones suggestion.i am sure some is emotional- i need to get away from the 2 hour schedule, and am terrified to do it.it has been a way of life for last 3 plus months. I really, really need a good doctor, have called almost everyone in houston, and they are either booked or dont do detox off xanax. they give suboxone for the vicodin. i made at least 30 phone calls for help to no avail. there is only one rehab center i found that got the ball rolling at least, and i dont have a ride to get there far away. i also need the support of my family to go to rehab and they refuse to talk about my condition.
I know you're in a tough spot, but you have to make this happen.  It's the safest way, especially because you have other medical conditions to consider.  Your family may not understand, but after you get in there, they can speak to a doctor who can let them know that there are REAL risks coming off benzos.  It's not like an opiate where it is just uncomfortable...there is a real risk to your health.

I think you're reading a lot into everything.  Most likely, when you were told the nurses would give you Phenobarbital at their discretion, they are probably talkling about dosing schedules.  The nurses will give it to you when needed, but will be careful not to just medicate you if you don't need it.  They have protocols set up.  While it will probably not be a breeze, they will make you as comfortable as possible.

You can find a way to get there..I think you just need to get the ball rolling and get in there.  The longer you stay on your current dosing schedule, the worse it's going to be, dear!

Lots of luck...hope to read a good update from you after you come home!  You can do it!
i have two ignorant friends who say that i can just come off benzos one a week for next six weeks on my own. I say i need medical help. they also tell me that i am throwing myself a  pity party and can change at drop of hat. that i just need to try harder. I say this is serious and should be done by pros. i have NO support at all down here. spouse says same thing, that i dont need rehab and wont take me at all to get help. i am really desperate here. what should i do???
i am really desperate here. what should i do??? .

I say i need medical help.

Quit listening to people who have NO clue, and listen to yourself...you already know what you need to do.
Just wanted to say the 2 times I was in detox (thank God the last one stuck, 2 yrs clean in Feb.) you could use a phone. Annonimity (sp?) is important, like not using last names, but you are not in lockdown! Yes, the main door to the detox dorm is locked but you are free to move around have a bed, roomates, bathrooms, showers, TV's, games, books, group sessions that will help you prepare yourself for the outside world and staying clean. And you keep saying your terrified of detox and w/ding but in detox you will be in a safe, medically supervised facility. The BEST place you could be while detoxing.

Just trying to get you to see that detox is a GOOD thing, not something to be terrified of. After the first say, 3, days it gets nothing but better each day. Like one of the above posts said this last time I didn't want to leave! The safety you feel there and the feeling that you can be completely honest with these people and they are there to help you is intoxicating in itself. You can do this and begin getting on w/ your life. Best of luck. You are stronger than you think. Lee
Sorry didn't want to mislead anyone..I'm ONE year clean in Feb.2013. Lee
thanx. one rehab charges 3K to be admitted i dont have. the other is a full hospital medical facility- but , they will not tell me what they do- just medical detox and cut you loose- or give you support and coping skills like the 3K facility. yes, these people think i can go off xanax one pill per week, and will have no problem- i am scared of seizures because i have been on lower doses of xanax for about 20 years. also, suffering too badly. so i dont have any info on the full medical hospital. i have tried and called all i know. there are little or no detox places in texas-i tried- called them all. very scared. half of all the folks say detox/rehab and half of ppl i know think that i can do it at home. but, i am addicted to these pills and cannot live like this any longer. sorry , not trying to be a baby, just trying to get real options on what to do.
PLEASE HELP with this!!! I found an addiction psychiatrist who says he can detox me outpatient using  Klonipin and Depakote. But, found out he has some trouble with the Medical Board. This sounds too good to be true???
DEtox at home with no real supervision????
I am 44 year old female and have been taking 6mg xanax for over ttwenty years. I was prescribed by shrink for panic attacks. As years went by I no longer am able t work, go outside and am on disability for agoraphobia. I rarely leave the house, nor will I even sit on the front porch of the house. I went to a rehab for a week about five years ago to get off the xanax as I have adapted to the xanax it does nothing for me, memory is shot etc. The detox involved taking all the xanax away and replacing it with I think 5mg of Klonopin a day. I made it through the week at hospital/rehab-then they sent me home. That 5mg klonopin was nothing I was freaking out and having panic attacks in the house. I had to go back on the xanax 6mg in order to function I couldn't even really talk so people could understand me after I was detoxed from xanax and put on 5mg Klonopin. It was totally wrong way to detox. Since I have changed shrinks and he added 60mg of buspar spread out in 20mg doses three times a day. This stopped the inner shaking and hand shaking and I am still on it. Maybe buspar is something you should try. But like I said still on xanax along with buspar and have ambien to sleep, since I can never sleep either. If you want to talk you can email me at ***@**** Hope this  helped as I know the pain I feel like my life has been destroyed.
What are you waiting for, just go do it. If I was you, I would check myself in. This way you get ballance help all the way around, detox, counceling, supervition,  What do you have to be afraid of? Your already freaking out, at least by checking in you will for sure detox and come back down to a normal person. However you need to do it soon or you will loose Everything that's important to you. That alone should scare you enought to straiten up and check in.
This thread is from this past december.  Just FYI.
A person, has to be googling on the internet to even find the old thread.  They actually go to all the effort of making an account, so they can drop a post/comment on an ancient thread, without asking for any help for the reason they stumbled upon the old posts/thread.    Hmm...   I see this happen almost everyday.  If we've been here awhile, we're used to it, but we know someone was looking for something.   MH should have an outreach to them because many of them will never return to the post they went to all the effort to make a one time reply to.  These two comments should show up in their email account, so here goes ....

Hey dwrjr   Come back and talk to us, we will communicate with you.
Wish the moderator would take down the old thread...wonder what ever happened to newone58.   Personally, after just spending almost an hour reading the entire thread beginning to end, I'd say "newone58" was a phisher...  not even a good one at that,  hope no one actually gave out their private information.   Hat's off to nursegirl6572, you gave some very compassionate, sincere, good advise.  No way "newone58" was "real".   She was all over the place, posting on tons of blogs, slightly different stories everywhere...always asking people to pm her...   Just my humble opinion, was nice to see how the community all jumped in and tried to help though.....peace
it almost sounds like you are still having bad opiate withdraws. if you are still taking the benzos you shouldnt feel worst then if you werent, iv gone from 6+ milligrams a day to 3 ta2 and iv been stuck around there took about a month because everything that has been going on in my life, but it took a month... are you taking abilify or lexipro (sorry for my spelling) or any head meds because they made me feel like that when i was in detox and i refuse to take most head meds besides bouspar, trazadone, but watch out for dreams with the trazadone and bouspar isnt good with benzos. at least thats what worked for me and everything else made me shake nonstop and want to die.. so if you are on a new head medicine id stop it asap. i feel your pain it gets better but it takes awhile for me the first time i got off them i got so twitchy and delirious and sleep diprived that i eventually felt like almost a bliss i believe my  head released dmt a few times it took me weeks before people could tell me certain things that were not believable even happened i was tripping, a lot of rocking back and fourth id try and gety out every few days you wont want to at all but when someone forced me it was like i could breath for a second, for me i was coming off h klonapin and xanax cold turkey i was done. i took lots of benydryl neuroten for the shakes and a little dramamine but if u take too much and (dramamine) and havnt slept might have been why i was hallucinating so hard
I just found out today I have to go in the hospital to get off zanaz using phenobarbital.  have no idea what it will be like.  my psych. said out side it would take a year.  so what, inside they make you really suffer???>I'm preety terrified myself.  sandpile
GO TO YOUR ER RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!