Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
TERRIFIED!!!! HOW DO I WEAN OFF 6 MG XANAX per day?????

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

I am on 6 mg  of xanax per day in .5mg doses every two hours. my incompetent doctor approved this schedule to help me taper off duragesic/fentanyl patch. NOW I AM TERRIFIED as i have severe anxiety on the xanax taper meds, self neglect, cannot function- LIFE IS LIVING HELL!! Am confused all the time, and getting no support at home.
PLEASE PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    
Terrified of detox facility- as it may take quite a while to get off- but, terrified of seizures and withdrawal if i do this on my own.
ANY HELP PLEASE, DEAR GOD !!!!!
Tags: xanax, xanax taper
Oh new one, I am so sorry your dealing with this. I don't want to comment on that dose as I have no experience. I was dependent on ativan 1.5 mg a day and had to wean down. It is not fun and at your dose a Dr. on board is a must. Hold tight, more will be along to give you more helpful advise. Stay calm, you'll get thru this. Does your Dr. know your struggling?
I just commented on your other thread.  You need to find a new doctor.  I'm a bit confused...exactly HOW much Xanax are you taking, and for how long?  Is your taper supposed to be every 2 hours, or is that how often you dose yourself?

Like I said in your other thread, it is imperative that you taper off Xanax under the guidance and supervision of a doctor who knows his/her way around these meds.

Can you try to find a new doctor on Monday?  Do you have enough to maintain until then?  That would be my advice.  The best option would be a psychiatrist.  Also, do you have any other treatments in place for your anxiety?  Have you been in therapy at all?  That's another way the psych could help you.

Best of luck to you!
I do not have a psychiatrist- they are all booked. And there is a detox place that will take me and get me off with anti seizure meds and valium. say it can be done in 8 days, but that sounds like a lie. I was abandoned by my pain doc. Now, all i do is shake like a leaf.
Got on 6 mg of xanax to detox off fentanyl. I AM DESPERATE HERE> I cannot function at all and the xanax has the opposite effect now - insomnia, fear of outside ,paranoia, inability to do simple tasks, poor memory, etc. I AM TERRIFIED. Can barely do this mail.
Cannot see a doc as they are all booked up for weeks and months. IF ANYONE has an option, PLEASE TELL ME. Dear GOD, I am so desperate. Cannot sleep and take  meds every 2 hours as doc said was ok. Now sleep deprived, and sooooo scared. Someone PLEASE HELP>
Can self detox be done at all???????? I am suffering like an animal here.
Been on the dose for 3 months now. PLEASE HELP
I've read over your post a few times and I'm a little confused...

Is 6mg per day a DECREASE in amount?  I'm surprised at all these symptoms...

Yes, this can be done at home but it's best to have a doctor on board that you can speak with...it doesn't sound like you have that. Was it the pain doctor who gave you this taper plan?   Whoever gave you the Xanax rx is the one who needs to monitor you now. Abandonment by a physician is a punishable crime so get on the phone and get in to see the,doctor tomorrow!

Keep in touch!
The way Im reading it is his Pain management Dr. gave him the xanax to get off the Fent patches. .5 mg every 6 hours for the fent w/d's. So if thats correct then noone has given him a benzo taper plan yet.
From another '58'er . . . try to calm down and focus on only what is actually happening right now.  Don't worry about what has already happened or would could happen in the future, just close your eyes and, breathing deeply and slowly, realize that at this moment you're OK and that you can do this one small step at a time.

Now, don't be so quick to dismiss and/or fear a detox facility.  If it's a decent place, it might be the best thing that ever happened to you.  I avoided going to rehab like it was the plague, thinking it was literally a fate worse than death.  that attitude almost killed me.

Self-detox from benzos can be very difficult and DANGEROUS . . . don't even think about it.  you're in a susbstantial metro and there will be a lot of resources available to you.  Just Google  you'll find what you need.

You need help getting this set up.  It's next to impossible for someone needing the kind of help we need to do it alone. . . . I wasn't competent to tie my shoes at the end.  Let someone you trust help you.  If you don't have anyone you trust to help, just go to the ER -- I would pick a hospital that has an in-house detox or rehab.

This is going to get better and you're going to be OK.  I promise you that you're doing better than I was at the end . . . there's no way I could have written the posts you've written today.  The only thing you need to do is call out for help andf then accept it . . . don't fight it.

I'm praying for you . . . we Eisenhower babies need to stick together!

CATUF
2763
The OP said .5 every TWO hours...which is a moderate dose...that's why I don't understand all the symptoms...I'll read some more about this...
Yeah sorry, I dont know why i said every 6 hours! I meant every 2 hours! Yikes stupid fingers!
Oh wait!!!!!  I remember you hon!  There was something so familiar about the situation, then I looked at you posting history!  OK!  I actually was just thinking of you the other day, wondering how you were doing...you were going through hell coming off the fentanyl.

I remember the last we spoke, your PCP was Rx'ing the Xanax and Hydrocodone to help with fentanyl w/d's.  Did he not at any point tell you to start tapering the Xanax?  I remember telling you to cross this bridge when you came to it, as you were concerned about coming off the xanax.  You were worrying about everything at once.   I'm pretty surprised he'd kept you on such a high dose this whole time....every two hours is a lot.  All that did was build your tolerance to the roof.  that could explain your symptoms.  You're already probably experiencing symptoms from the dose being insufficient to cover you, due to tolerance.  Basically, you could be experiencing w/d because your dose isn't high enough.

Are you still working with your PCP?  Is he willing to continue Rx'ing the Xanax until you get tapered off?  That's your best bet, although, like I said, a psych would be much better.

Please kep us updated..I'm sorry you are going through this.  Are you completely through the Fentanyl detox?  I know that can be long and difficult.  Hope your situation has improved for you too, hon.
I'm wondering who said to begin a taper on the Xanax. You've been taking it for 20 years and maybe you need to stay on It.  This is a discussion to have with your PCP.  Good luck to you!
Not sure, but I think, on top of her regular dose that she had been on, her PCP prescribed it to be taken q 2 hours during her Fentanyl w/d.

Agree completely with Vicki...you need to talk to your doc.  Is there NO way he could refer you to a psych?  IMO, they know their way around these meds so much better.

Have you asked your doc what he thinks about the detox center?  that's definitely a better option than doing it alone.

If you can clarify a bit for us, that would be great.
my pcp is not a detox doc and is booked until feb. i cannot see him until then. there is a rehab place that detoxes off xanax with valium and anti seizure meds but i am scared to death to be in rehab where they lock you in. my pain doc abandoned me and i cannot go back to him. i am having awful anxiety and shakiness from the 6 mg and told i can seizure coming off on my own . i dont know where to go or what to do. all psychs in area are booked for months. i am DESPERATE> I have no life at all. I am in self neglect, sleep all the time and i am losing my family. PLEASE HELP !!! I have tried churches, EVERYONE- yes i was on the patch and got off that on sept 21. it is the vicodin/xanax detox that is hurting me now. I am terrified i am going to seizure and an er doc told me to taper from 6 one week, to 5, then 4 the next week using BENADRYL just to sleep!!!!!! that will not work. I cannot sleep with benadryl,and to take more than 4 tabs per day is dangerous. I am leary of the " rehab" place. But the hospital will not detox me unless i am a threat to myself or others. DEAR JESUS , what do i DO???????????????????
I AM FIGHTING FOR MY LIFE - no docs are available until after quite a while - very booked up here and hard to find a detox doc. I am desperate- so desperate. PLEASE HELP- ANYONE !!!!!!!!!!! I live in the HOuston area
You will NOT have a seizure if you're taking 6mg of Xanax per day.  I don't know how this became so urgent for you. Who told you to taper off the Xanax??   Do you need MORE Xanax? I guess I'm missing the problem here.

If you take your Xanax every two hours you'll be fine. Why don't you wait the month and see your PCP for further instructions? ANY doctor can detox you.

For now, how about just doing what you're doing, taking some deep breaths, getting in the shower, and then having a cup of tea. You're going to be fine.
thank you vicki. I have rehab places, expensive ones, that are telling me that along with other posts on the internet. I am so TERRIFIED. How do i taper off that dose?  I really cannot live like this anymore. I am having REVERSE effects of the xanax, extreme anxiety, shakiness, self neglect, confusion, disorientation, etc. can you please pm me??
Sweetie, I know you're scared, but take a deep breath.  The most important question is....are you going to run out of the Xanax?  If not, you're not going to have a seizure, so there's nothing to worry about there.  Now, if you abruptly STOPPED taking it, or drastically decreased your dose, yes, there COULD be a risk for seizures.  Everyone is different, and the seizure theshhold will vary in each unique situation.

The issue I see is, the original instructions for your Fentanyl detox were for you to take 0.5 mg every 2 hours.  I remember you were having such severe anxiety during your detox, which warranted some kind of intervention.  Thing is, being that your detox started in September, just in my opinion, I think your doc and you should have addressed that dosing schedule by now, and started getting you on a taper.  It simply isn't reasonable to take such a high daily amount, and to take it so frequently.  Doing that is only adding to your tolerance and causing more anxiety.

This is why I say I would recommend really trying to find a psychiatrist who has experience in dealing with benzos.  Vicki is right that any doc can detox you, but being that you already have a history of anxiety, a psychiatrist could help you formulate a plan in how you're going to deal with that, as unfortunately, your anxiety level will increase when you come off the Xanax also.  I think there's a bigger need here than just detox.  A taper from that amount will need to be slow and deliberate for the best results.  Just to give you an idea...a max recommended daily dose for xanax in the treatment of panic disorder is about 4mg.  The very MAXIMUM recommended daily dose of Xanax in ANY situation is 10mg.  You're not too far from that.

If you're not out of Xanax, obviously, do not make any changes...but definitely start looking into a way to get a second opinion.  Just from what you said about your doc in your OP leads me to believe you don't have a lot of faith in him anyway.  While I don't remember every detail you shared with me...just from what I remember and what you have shared here, I think a second opinion in the LEAST is warranted here.

The Xanax was needed during the initial stages of your Fentanyl detox, but I feel strongly that it was not in your best interest to keep you on that dosing schedule for almost 4 months.  I think that is more harmful than helpful.

So, the million dollar questions...do you HAVE enough Xanax to either get you to your appt with your PCP or until you can find a new doc?  And what have you done to try to find a new doc?  Can you make some calls tomorrow?  A good starting place is calling your insurance company, explain the situation, and ask them to help you find a doc who would be able to handle this situation.  They would know what your coverage is as well.

Don't make any changes until you can get in front of a doctor.  So sorry you're dealing with this.  I feel for you!
oH girl i feel your fear and i am so sorry.  Please take the advice from  the above posters.  I am confused though, do you have enough to taper with? You can taper off that dose and its very doable but do it SLOW and steady, just drop small amounts.  I know this sounds crazy but try to relax, take deep breaths, take a shower or bath, try to get sleep, you can do this.
i do have enough to make it through detox. But, nurse Girl, but, the detox docs here are not good and booked solid for quite a while. my big issue is that i do not have any support at home. i have horrible anxiety and the 2 hour schedule is keeping me sleep deprived. i HATE the idea of going to rehab, as it takes away my freedom. ANY help on HOW i can detox at home? Will call insurance company, good idea to see who they can find. It is so hard finding someone who will help. I AM VERY VERY WORRIED, as i am so afraid of abusive spouse that I stay in room all day and try to sleep in filthy clothes, and bedsheets. This is also with major depression- so it adds to anxiety I am on antidepressants. PLEASE PM me if you can, nurse girl and vicki. I am SOOOOOO SCARED !!!!! Don't know what to do!!!!! PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!
i shake during the day so much that i can hardly talk or communicate on the phone. it is sooo horrible. so hard to even make a phone call, much less find a shrink who deals in benzos.
Oh hon...last I talked to you, you had taken steps to improve that situation.  Sorry to hear it's worse.  You DO really need some help.  Your anxiety will never be managed living in those kinds of conditions.  Hope your daughter is still out of that environment.

Prayers for you.
Are you wanting MORE than 6mg Xanax per day?  I still don't get why you're talking about getting off the Xanax NOW...you've been on it for 20 years!  I guess I missed something here...

I'm sorry I can't be of help to you Newone. You definitely need help,though,and I hope you can find it. Best of luck.
newone58 - your symptoms are from tolerance withdrawal. Xanax - due to its short half life and and the very short time tolerance occurs with it - is only really helpful as an occasional prn med. If taken daily - it will actually exacerbate anxiety (as you are finding) and cause other benzo w/drawal symptoms.

I know that you are worried about rehab and as you feel your  freedom will be taken away - but right now you have NO freedom - you are a prisioner of not only your own home but of your bedroom.

With that in mind I think you should go to rehab - you will be safe there at least and they are professionals that can help.

In the UK or Australia (I'm in Australia) to get of xanax you are usually converted to diazepam (valium) due to it's long half life (which makes it easier to w/draw from than short half life benzos like xanax) and slowely tapered down. I did this to get off xanax - I did daily pickups of valium from my local pharmacy - I had my GP and an addiction specialist doctor supporting me and overseeing my taper and a drug and alcohol counsellor.... Can you do somethin like this in the US? It worked well for me - was still definetely tough at times but got through it and have been clean nearly a year and have no ongoing symptoms.

If something like this is not possible for you in US I would take the rehab - you are a prisoner from this anyway so please don't worry about rehab taking you freedom away.

Best wishes and prayers for you...
Going to rehab would not take away your freedom, it would give you your freedom back~
i checked, there are no docs or hospitals in houston that will do xanax detox- it has to be in a rehab place. But , i had a horrible experience in one in sept- and am terrified to go back to one. it was like being a prisoner . but, like you all said, this is being in prison,, too. i have no life, and my family looks at me like a ghost. severely depressed even on antidepressants. can someone please tell me what the REVERSE effects of xanax are> I think i am having that. this is living in HELL and I AM FIGHTING FOR MY LIFE! PLEASE HELP
I don't know what you mean by reverse effects - what you are experiencing is 'tolerance withdrawal'... which is very common with benzos.... especially short acting ones like xanax.
I agree with the others.  You are making this so much harder than it has to be.  Please find some in-person and "live" help for your issues.  This forum is limited to how much we can help you.
And remember, the first (and ONLY person in my opinion) that can save your life is YOU.
It means that all the things the benzos are supposed to do for you, such as calming your nerves, now the tolerance has built up in your system to where you need more and more of it to get the same effect.   It is no longer working at the doseage you are taking and now you are experiencing the opposite effects which are the shakiness, paranoia, anxiety, etc.    

The same things happen to us on the opiates.   Suddenly we build a tolerance and need more and more for it to work.   Then when taken off it, we experienced the reverse / opposite feelings.    Depression, anxiety, trots, etc.  This can happen with any  narcotic taken over any time period of more than a couple weeks to 30 days depending on the person's tolerance levels.    

You are isolating and jailing yourself now.   Going to rehab can't be any worse than what you are experiencing now.   I know they won't let you just leave the property, etc.   That is for medical and insurance purposes.   It's not a prison.   They are there to help you medically detox and are responsible for your health and aftercare.   They insurance companies don't want to authorize payment for someone to go, get detoxed and then just walk out and do it all over again.   So they keep you there to ensure they get paid.    
...meant they keep you there after detox for aftercare to help give you the tools you need to get on with your life after you leave.   If everyone came in only for detox without a support system, the insurance companies wouldn't pay because the chances of relapse are very high if you only detox and don't have a support or aftercare program in place.    That is there for you!    
all of this helps. I have no support at home and half problem is abusive spouse who will not even drive me to the rehab center. it seems that it takes about a week to detox, and then about a month of aftercare- is that right?

sorry to bother here, just very scared with no support system in place at home. i am treated like a ghost at home- no one speaks to me at all- and no one will help here. i also have no one to support me in terms of family.
Since cannot find a benzo doc here to detox, it looks like this is the only option. nolife, your answer was very good- i just do not want to be locked away and forgotten about-
the effects that nolife mentioned are the exact symptoms i am having.
It is great see you on here again..I have missed you ;)...I'm soooo sorry you are goingthrough this and for so long ..take a deep breath you can do this I know you can ....you do need to find a new doc to get you through this you made it past the fentanyl andnow is the xanax .. 1 step at a time  ..I still have the same phone numbers you know you can call me anytime...I'm praying for you all the time (((((hugs))))))) call me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad I could help.   If I could go through detox and rehab all over again, I would in a heartbeat.  It's such a safe environment.   Towards the end I didn't want to leave and have to deal with the real world.   But they gave me the tools to deal with the real world.   The rest was up to me.   This sounds to me like your best option.   If you have to call a cab, then so be it.  

Your body has built a tolerance level of the benzos to where they are only working for a very short term, so you are going into withdraw every couple hours.   Your mind and body are crying out for more with the symptoms you are having, which is not what you want to do right now.  

Let us know what you decide you are going to do.   We are here to help!  
Please answer your phone !!!!!!I'm calling u now
Oh, and detox can be anywhere from 24 hrs up to a week depending on how you respond to the treatment.   Then you have the inpatient care for 3 to 4 weeks with outpatient care for 6 months to a year.   It really depends on what is offered and what your insurance will cover.   However they usually won't let you stay less than 30 days with a benzo or narcotic addiction.    
Hon, listen to the great advice, you REALLY need help.  You also need help to address the home situation.  You need the assistance and support of professionals who will know how to help you.  

I'm pretty surprised he'd kept you on such a high dose this whole time....every two hours is a lot.  All that did was build your tolerance to the roof.  that could explain your symptoms.  You're already probably experiencing symptoms from the dose being insufficient to cover you, due to tolerance.  Basically, you could be experiencing w/d because your dose isn't high enough.

^^^^^ This is what I said toward the beginning of the thread, and others have said the same thing.  The very med that in the beginning was suppposed to help you, has now become harmful.  You're feeling SO bad BECAUSE of the Xanax.

Hope to read a good update!
thanks all- i am still weaning off 6 vicodin per day down to 2 3/4. I am so scared of going to rehab. NO LIFE: did you say i would HAVE to stay 30 days in rehab?????
could it possibly be the vicodin at the lower dose> or is it the xanax? I cannot live like this anymore. Panic attack 24/7, cannot stand noise, watch tv or read anything. all i do is curl in bed and suffer- just suffer. It is HORRIBLE.
memory is impaired, and afraid to drive due to lack of coordination- i am petrified of rehab as they lock you in.

Can someone please tell me what REHAB is like for Benzos????
the rehab place said that they would taper me with valium, and anti seizure meds , and sleep with melatonin. I also take tofranil antidepressant. is it safe to take melatonin with that med- anyone know?
also take 200 mg Lopressor for Blood Pressure ( XR) . the place said they would keep me on tofranil and bp meds, and give melatonin for sleep.
the problem is: MY BODY wants these meds every 2 HOURS!! I am terrified that if i go off the 2 hour schedule in rehab, the w/d will be unbearable!!!!!   Does anyone know? I am so scared crapless right now- the thought of 30 days in lock down with no phone contacts scares me so much- and the going off of the 2 hour schedule.I pray they will give something to sleep with stronger than melatonin. it  will keep me asleep for about an hour- that is it.
i have abused and left stranded by the medical community. it is so bad, i am so nervous that i cannot sit through the eval at the rehab center!!!
cannot watch tv or read a paper. AND, NO SUPPORT at all from home.
Please Pray for me- PLEASE. GOD BLESS YOU ALL
Did you say you need to spend NO LESS than 30 days? DO THEY MAKE YOU STAY THAT LONG???
Valium has an extremely long half life and xanax has a very short half life - so you WILL NOT need xanax every 2 hours in the rehab because the valim will cover you (ie the valium works for a lot longer than the xanax) - the rehab knows this - remember they are the professionals and know what they are doing!!
Also - Valium is much easier to taper off than xanax - it really is time for you to put yourself in the hands of professionals and trust them - what you are doing is obviously not working.... you don't want to live like this!
Sweetie, you're looking at this all wrong.  Rehab is not a prison...look at it the same as if you would need to go to the hospital for an illness.  It's the same kind of thing.  You're not "locked away".  Legally, they cannot keep you there, but like mentioned above, if you choose to leave before the doctor is ready to d/c you, then your insurance can refuse to pay for your bill.

How could ANYTHING be worse than what you're going through right now?  Seriously!!!  You're already in living hell....rehab would be a blessing for you.  They would help to keep your comfortable while weaning you off the Xanax, SAFELY.  They will help you learn ways to deal with the anxiety, and MOST importantly, there will be resources available to you to help you empower yourself to get OUT of the horrible situation at home.  You deserve SO much better than that.  You've been torn down emotionally and mentally...you need to learn how to find the strength to stand up for yourself and seek out a better life for yourself.

Look at rehab as a fresh start...one you so desperately need.  Don't get hung up on the details...of how many days, etc, it will take.  The staff will educate you on how the program works and they will tell you what they think you need.  Many people would love to have an inpatient detox/rehab as an option.  Grab the bull by the horn, and do this!  Start the new year with some hope.  You simply can NOT keep going like this.  The longer you continue to take the Xanax every 2 hours, the worse the tolerance gets, and the worse you will feel.  You're probably already in w/d, as we have explained.  Xanax is not designed to be taken like that for extended periods of time...it actually becomes counterproductive and does more harm than good.

Please stop analyzing this and just do it.  You'll be so glad you did.  As it stands now, you're living a miserable, torturous existence.  You deserve SO much more than that!!!

Much love to you...hope to see an update soon that you've decided to go.  Don't be scared...they are there to help you.  It's not jail sweetie.
Im pretty much going threw it myself with this methadone i want off it so bad. i have panic attacks.scared of dying. kept running to the er
. addiction is no fun either is the withdrals.its a dam shame im right with you. i have bad health , high blood pressure. you hang in there you will be ok trust god. hes there for all of us .good luck.
thx so much- but i am still scared of losing what little freedom i have. i am a chain smoker- no smoking there- sounds silly, i know. but, i cannot live like this. it IS getting worse. the phobia and inability to coordinate are getting worse. they say they can detox you in about a week, but you can go AMA if you need to. IS THAT RIGHT that i can choose to leave AMA and they MUST let me out???? I am so scared of it getting worse. And, i am scared of being in a place without my child. i cannot see her for about a week. this is total HELL. TOTAL HELL I am living in right now.  Dont know how i am going to make it.
can u plz PM ME??
can any hospital wean you off xanax in just a plain hospital room? Or, do you need a detox specialist or psychiatrist to do that in the hospital>
Many hospitals here say they do not have a detox in house- even the big ones in the huge medical center like Methodist. I was wondering if anyone knew if they put you in the general patient population that is less restrictive in a general hospital?????? anyone know?
You can call hospitals and ask what options they have, but like everyone has said, there is no need to be scared of the detox center.  I'm sure your daughter would sacrifice any amount of time to get her Mom back.  You're in no condition to be a mom to her right now.

YES, dear, they HAVE to let you out, they cannot hold you against your will.  Stop worrying about that.  They are there to help you, not lock you away forever.  Don't go into it worrying about wanting to come out...embrace it.  The only thing holding you back at this point is YOU hon.

If you're scared of that...the way you're going now, not able to even take care of basic hygeine...THAT is placing you more at risk for an involuntary psych admission than anything else.  There really isn't many options here, you need to get well.

Now, start making calls.  You CAN do this!
R WE SURE this is due to the xanax tolerance and not still being on 23/4 vicodin still???
I DO KNOW i need OFF of the 2 hour schedule- that is a given. I am so mad at my PCP and the pain doc demon for doing this to me. I cannot live like this.
Everyone says rehab and it is the xanax causing all the symptoms of anxiety, lack of coordination,memory loss, concentration loss, self-neglect, etc.
I am scared if i go to rehab and get intensive for the xanax, that i may have a psychotic split over the restrictions there. i also have bad GI problems, and a sleep disorder and sleep apnea. i am SOOOO SCARED.
Sorry to be so negative, but paranoia is part of this thing, and i am NOT getting any better even with the vicodin taper.  
I just PRAY that i could go to a general hospital and be detoxed there without the lock down of a rehab center. know it is asking for too much.
Yes, in my unofficial opinion, this is absolutely the Xanax.  We've explained about the tolerance.  You're already dealing with w/d's to some level, because your body needs more Xanax to maintain the same level of effectiveness you had before.

No time for being angry at the doctors right now...now is action time.  We've given you the info, and our opinions.  The rest is up to you.  You are in crisis mode.  Personally, I think your living conditions NOW are far more restrictive..I would think you would be thrilled to change that.  ANYthing is going to be an improvement.  You have a very negative impression of what detox centers are like.  They are not jails.

You will also most likely have access to a psychiatrist there too, which is good, as you said you cannot see one now.

Ball's in your court....you have to do something.
you're right, spouse says that the xanax is not the problem, that it is mental and i am throwing myself a pity party. maybe so. i do somatize things hoping there is a pill for that.  i am so scared. he thinks i can just pull myself up by bootstraps and go on. four months ago i could function- today ,i cannot function at ALL. i am so confused. But, I do know i need to get off of the 2 hour pill schedule. i do think a lot of this is mental- but 6 mg of xanax divided over a 24 hour period where i am up every 2 hours is making me insane and my life is in the toilet.
I do know that it is getting worse. and i am terrified. i am scared i backed myself into a corner with no way out. spouse thinks that internet posts are not way to go. i am so confused. don't know for sure if it is the xanax, but i do know for sure that the symptoms of not being able to function and the getting up every 2 hours is taking a huge toll. Please PRAY for me.
all of hospitals i called do not do detox under normal conditions. but, you are right, i will end up with involuntary psych hospital and that is worse- a lot worse. thank you nurse girl. you have a good point here . a very good point. whether it is the xanax or mental- i am heading down a deadly road. Please PRAY for me and my little one. GOD BLESS YOU.
It's not all mental...your husband thought the same of the Fentanyl too, remember?  Suck it up, he basically said, so irritated that you would be sick coming off that cold turkey.  Oh the nerve of you!

You're talking abouthabit forming medications.  This is NOT all in your head.  I think it's made worse by the abuse you suffer, and your state of anxiety and mental health.  Just even your posts....they have always been full of desperation and panic.  Not that I fault you for that, but you definitely have a way of getting yourself worked up.

You know your husband is not going to support you...that's a given.  If anything, he adds to the problem.  I think the detox could be the best thing you've ever done.  You need to be VERY honest with them about your home situation...they will help you and help you learn how to stand up for yourself and take the control back.

I'm praying for you....I sincerely hope you go to the detox center, and soon.  Ask them any questions you have, they'll reassure you and help you understand how the process works.  That should put your mind at ease.  They're not bad guys...they can be your savior.

Lots of luck and prayers.
I completely agree with nurse girl the facility would teach to how to take yourlife back .I'm  here for you I always have been we all are you are not alone.I will call you tomorrow I have  the information you wanted and  I have to say this place is amazing you will be comfortable something you havnt felt  in aLONG time . You will get through this I promise and your husband will see you were right....I'm praying for you I always have been..take deep breaths and now it's time to focus on YOU!!! I will call you tomorrow ((((((hugs)))))))
This looked good . . . I just Googled

Gallus Detox Centers
HOUSTON (SUGAR LAND) TEXAS
Most INSURANCE Accepted! Call 855-338-6929

CATUF
Today is my first day of weening off 20-30 percocets a day, and 5 or 6 xanax too. I stopped the xanax completely, I didnt think my body was use to it or addicted to it I thought it was just a mental addiction, and percs was the the only thing my body was addicted to..but I am feeling really,really sick and scared. My doctor said do not just stop taking them entirely but I couldnt tell him I was already out and had no choice and can only wean off the percocet. Good luck, you are NOT ALONE. Feel free to message me
My PCP also said that a 28 Day facility, or Rehab is not the right place for everyone and to do what is best for me. I have too many responsibilites to up and go to Rehab. It just isn't possible. There are several ways to get from point a to point b. I am going to my first NA meeting tomorrow. Just gotta stick to it.
I went into detox for ativan several years ago and was given phenobarbital for withdrawals....it helped alot. When I got to the facility they gave me phenobarbital with nutritional drinks and b12 injections....felt weak and tired but in 3 days my color came back and I didnt feel like I was coming out of my skin.
this place gives phenobarbitol. my symptoms are severe anxiety, startling at any noise, paranoia, severe depression, shakiness, my hands shake, loss of memory cant remember what i said 30 seconds ago, fear of EVERYTHING,
feeling out of control, wanting to control outcomes of future events, etc. I have NEVER had anything like this in my life. are these the symptoms of xanax/benzo tolerance????

That is why i am so paranoid about the rehab- scared of the old movie scenes where they lock you up and strap you down. i am petrified. a lot of my issue is mental and abuse. add lack of family support, and it is a horrible way to exist.

can anyone tell me , who has been for benzo rehab, how bad the w/d are in the first week or so? what do they do in there? i just want to know what it is like. I know i sound desperate, I AM DESPERATE. PLEASE !!!!
all of you have been great.
can you PM me and tell me PLEASE what rehab is really like? i would be so grateful.
That is why i am so paranoid about the rehab- scared of the old movie scenes where they lock you up and strap you down.

Absolutely NOT!  Like I said before, you have a very inaccurate perception of what rehab is like.

Here's what you need to do, make a list of ALL your questions, no matter how little or silly or paranoid they seem, and call the rehab center and ask them all your questions.  THEY are the ones who need to answer your questions and reassure you.

To be frank, you really need to sh*t, or get off the pot, you know?  I say that, not to be mean, but to be honest.  You know this is out of control and you need to do something, yet you're here, still going back and forth.  I know you're scared, and that's okay, so call and get the answers to the questions you need...and take the next step. You have to do something, you simply cannot keep doing what you're doing.
I tried to reach you  hopefully you get this the rehab is a wonderful facility andtanother will make sure your comfortably..I would call them if I were you please they want to help you. I'm praying for you stay strong hun
a lot of my problem is that i am on the 2 hours schedule 24/7. it is now a mental dependency as well as physical. the doc who gave me the patch in the first place should have weaned me off of the patch- he did not do ANYTHING. Now i am left with a vicodin/xanax addiction that my pcp said was ok- but, he is not a detox doc.
the rehab facility says they will pheno barb for anxiety, but cannot promise- saying it at the discretion of the "nurses"????? WT???i have asked a lot of questions , and no one seems to really want to answer. my spouse thinks that i should pull myself up by bootstraps- that is hard to do when you are paranoid, panic stricken, etc..... so, i have NO support at home on this . all here have been great. thank you. i feel so abandoned by medical community- no one is really supervising this- and the hospitals just say- go to the ER- and we'll take it from there. wondering what fresh hell will be waiting for me. and most hospitals here do not even DO DETOX. i am soo lost.
i agree. Please PRAY for me. I do work myself up- because of the panic and fear. i have been taking xanax on/off for almost  20 years. But, NEVER at 6 mg per day and not every 2 hours. this is a hell existence. i am considering rehab as that is everyones suggestion.i am sure some is emotional- i need to get away from the 2 hour schedule, and am terrified to do it.it has been a way of life for last 3 plus months. I really, really need a good doctor, have called almost everyone in houston, and they are either booked or dont do detox off xanax. they give suboxone for the vicodin. i made at least 30 phone calls for help to no avail. there is only one rehab center i found that got the ball rolling at least, and i dont have a ride to get there far away. i also need the support of my family to go to rehab and they refuse to talk about my condition.
I know you're in a tough spot, but you have to make this happen.  It's the safest way, especially because you have other medical conditions to consider.  Your family may not understand, but after you get in there, they can speak to a doctor who can let them know that there are REAL risks coming off benzos.  It's not like an opiate where it is just uncomfortable...there is a real risk to your health.

I think you're reading a lot into everything.  Most likely, when you were told the nurses would give you Phenobarbital at their discretion, they are probably talkling about dosing schedules.  The nurses will give it to you when needed, but will be careful not to just medicate you if you don't need it.  They have protocols set up.  While it will probably not be a breeze, they will make you as comfortable as possible.

You can find a way to get there..I think you just need to get the ball rolling and get in there.  The longer you stay on your current dosing schedule, the worse it's going to be, dear!

Lots of luck...hope to read a good update from you after you come home!  You can do it!
i have two ignorant friends who say that i can just come off benzos one a week for next six weeks on my own. I say i need medical help. they also tell me that i am throwing myself a  pity party and can change at drop of hat. that i just need to try harder. I say this is serious and should be done by pros. i have NO support at all down here. spouse says same thing, that i dont need rehab and wont take me at all to get help. i am really desperate here. what should i do???
i am really desperate here. what should i do??? .

I say i need medical help.

Quit listening to people who have NO clue, and listen to yourself...you already know what you need to do.
Just wanted to say the 2 times I was in detox (thank God the last one stuck, 2 yrs clean in Feb.) you could use a phone. Annonimity (sp?) is important, like not using last names, but you are not in lockdown! Yes, the main door to the detox dorm is locked but you are free to move around have a bed, roomates, bathrooms, showers, TV's, games, books, group sessions that will help you prepare yourself for the outside world and staying clean. And you keep saying your terrified of detox and w/ding but in detox you will be in a safe, medically supervised facility. The BEST place you could be while detoxing.

Just trying to get you to see that detox is a GOOD thing, not something to be terrified of. After the first say, 3, days it gets nothing but better each day. Like one of the above posts said this last time I didn't want to leave! The safety you feel there and the feeling that you can be completely honest with these people and they are there to help you is intoxicating in itself. You can do this and begin getting on w/ your life. Best of luck. You are stronger than you think. Lee
Sorry didn't want to mislead anyone..I'm ONE year clean in Feb.2013. Lee
thanx. one rehab charges 3K to be admitted i dont have. the other is a full hospital medical facility- but , they will not tell me what they do- just medical detox and cut you loose- or give you support and coping skills like the 3K facility. yes, these people think i can go off xanax one pill per week, and will have no problem- i am scared of seizures because i have been on lower doses of xanax for about 20 years. also, suffering too badly. so i dont have any info on the full medical hospital. i have tried and called all i know. there are little or no detox places in texas-i tried- called them all. very scared. half of all the folks say detox/rehab and half of ppl i know think that i can do it at home. but, i am addicted to these pills and cannot live like this any longer. sorry , not trying to be a baby, just trying to get real options on what to do.
PLEASE HELP with this!!! I found an addiction psychiatrist who says he can detox me outpatient using  Klonipin (klonopin) and Depakote. But, found out he has some trouble with the Medical Board. This sounds too good to be true???
DEtox at home with no real supervision????
I am 44 year old female and have been taking 6mg xanax for over ttwenty years. I was prescribed by shrink for panic attacks. As years went by I no longer am able t work, go outside and am on disability for agoraphobia. I rarely leave the house, nor will I even sit on the front porch of the house. I went to a rehab for a week about five years ago to get off the xanax as I have adapted to the xanax it does nothing for me, memory is shot etc. The detox involved taking all the xanax away and replacing it with I think 5mg of Klonopin a day. I made it through the week at hospital/rehab-then they sent me home. That 5mg klonopin was nothing I was freaking out and having panic attacks in the house. I had to go back on the xanax 6mg in order to function I couldn't even really talk so people could understand me after I was detoxed from xanax and put on 5mg Klonopin. It was totally wrong way to detox. Since I have changed shrinks and he added 60mg of buspar spread out in 20mg doses three times a day. This stopped the inner shaking and hand shaking and I am still on it. Maybe buspar is something you should try. But like I said still on xanax along with buspar and have ambien to sleep, since I can never sleep either. If you want to talk you can email me at ***@**** Hope this  helped as I know the pain I feel like my life has been destroyed.
What are you waiting for, just go do it. If I was you, I would check myself in. This way you get ballance help all the way around, detox, counceling, supervition,  What do you have to be afraid of? Your already freaking out, at least by checking in you will for sure detox and come back down to a normal person. However you need to do it soon or you will loose Everything that's important to you. That alone should scare you enought to straiten up and check in.
This thread is from this past december.  Just FYI.
A person, has to be googling on the internet to even find the old thread.  They actually go to all the effort of making an account, so they can drop a post/comment on an ancient thread, without asking for any help for the reason they stumbled upon the old posts/thread.    Hmm...   I see this happen almost everyday.  If we've been here awhile, we're used to it, but we know someone was looking for something.   MH should have an outreach to them because many of them will never return to the post they went to all the effort to make a one time reply to.  These two comments should show up in their email account, so here goes ....

Hey dwrjr   Come back and talk to us, we will communicate with you.
Wish the moderator would take down the old thread...wonder what ever happened to newone58.   Personally, after just spending almost an hour reading the entire thread beginning to end, I'd say "newone58" was a phisher...  not even a good one at that,  hope no one actually gave out their private information.   Hat's off to nursegirl6572, you gave some very compassionate, sincere, good advise.  No way "newone58" was "real".   She was all over the place, posting on tons of blogs, slightly different stories everywhere...always asking people to pm her...   Just my humble opinion, was nice to see how the community all jumped in and tried to help though.....peace