Addiction: Substance Abuse Community
TOO much APAP?

This community is a place to share information and support with others who are trying to stop using drugs, prescription drugs, alcohol, tobacco or other addictive substances. Discuss with others, the symptoms of addiction, addiction recovery, ways to quit like tapering and cold turkey, and withdrawal symptoms. If you are interested in general "chat", please visit our Addiction Social Community.

TOO much APAP?

I've always been very cautious of the amount of apap i'm ingesting and through my "lovely" addiction I was taking about 2grams each day.

Over a period of 9 months i'm sure that can do some harm. However, i've heard many of you taking 20+ vicodin 5/500 each day. That is about 10 grams of apap a day. How is that even possible. I'm very curious...because I am worried about my liver myself but after hearing many people take that much over the years must make my situation virtually ok? right?
your liver can handle up to 4000 mgs of tylenol daily, anything after that can be dangerous...is this what you are asking? if not then  what is apap???  i used to take up to 30, 5/500mgs of percocets daily and my liver is fine, last i knew...call it luck for those of us who come out of this with no liver/kidney damage...
exactly, 30 500's equates to 15 grams of acetimenphen, WOW! i'm glad your alive.

at my highest i was taking 40 10 mgs,been worrying bout my liver too.
You've hit the precise mark my hypochondria is plaguing me about -- having ingested WAY too much apap (the medical/ script abbreviation for acetominophen/ tylenol) over the past three years via my Vicodin addiction (this is day 12 of total abstinence for me after cold turkeying myself: truly h*ll on earth).  However, much depends upon one's genetics/ inherited physical traits, general health, aggressive use of vitamin/ mineral supplements during active addiction, good diet, etc. as to how much damage is done to your liver via Vic/Perc etc. abuse.  A simple liver enzyme test ordered by an MD will reveal the truth (but they'd want to know why you think you need the test performed).  Also, there can be physical signs -- jaundice, liver tenderness or swelling/ enlargement, liver pain soon after taking apap, etc. that can be warnings that your liver is "conking out."  I've been told to take LOTS of milk thistle herbal supplement.  It is at worst harmless, and at best has been used for centuries as a liver purifying and healing agent in folk medicine and now in naturopathic medicine.  I hope this is reassuring: think of all the people who abuse alcohol daily for years and years (equally awful for your liver), but who never develop jaundice, liver disease, etc. IF they get, and stay, sober.  I'm also told the liver does heal itself, at least partially, once we stop kicking it to death through our addiction.  If you have a trusted doc, you might ask them about the liver damage factor as it relates to apap.  Remember that our liver is meant to be our toxin filter, so it can withstand quite a bit of abuse before saying, "I give up."  Again, hope this helps and best of luck to all of us as we defeat our addiction demon.  Mike
hi all.  i was taking 21 10/500 and sometimes 10/650 per day of hydro/apap daily for at least 2 to 3 years.  as far as i know, my liver is fine.  i am a diabetic and going to my diabetic doctor monthly and having blood work done monthly i would also ask for him to check my liver in the blood work.  my reasoning to him was because i was "popping" so many tylenol daily.  i guess i am a lucky one because no liver damage.
Thank you SO much for sharing your experience, which will be reassuring to many more than just myself!  Mike
Here is a question I ask the medical field.

Oxycontin comes in pure oxy. As far as I know they go up to 160mg in one single pill with no apap.

Why don't they have pure hydrocodone pills. 5mg, 10mg, 20mg, with no apap. Some say that they put it in there so addicts won't abuse it, however they offer oxy, which in most cases is much more addicting.
Thanks alot, this helps. Are you sure your liver heals itself? I was a bad drinker for years and my liver was severly damaged. I haven't frank for 5 years now. Does my liver heal itself?
The liver can heal itself from certain things. You say your liver was severely damaged so Im a$$uming you had a biopsy that showed cirrhosis? If so what was your stage/grade?